Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Powering up for haying

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-01-2019 @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks

Powering up for haying

I have been nosing around, looking at various models of tractors in the 40-50hp range as I would like the option of going to a disc mower eventually. I have been haying with my 955 and I have so far made over 400 bales this season with it, but it sometimes feels like I am pulling a train with a VW beetle..(it can be done, but there's little good for the 955 in the future). So in my looking around I like Deere tractors, but there seem to be terrible problems with new tractors. My strawberry farming neighbor up the street told me all about a 2018 JD 2038R for sale nearby, but at the same time telling me about all the problems he had with a new 4 series he just bought(new engine, tranny, etc, etc.) yes all under warranty but..

so to cut (pun) to the chase, what model Deere in the 40-50hp range would you recommend for working a 65 acre farm? I know I want 4wd, hydro, loader; after that I want reliability, repairability and ease of use(compact). Any thoughts on this? I just as soon have a simple workhorse with 1000-2000 hours on it than a new all digital wonder who's married to the JD repairman.
    theduke likes this.
    Rest and Be Thankful Farm
    Lyman, ME

955 Deere, FEL, 7 Backhoe, 59 Snowblower, 72" MMM, 7 ft Enorossi sickle bar mower, New Holland 273 Baler, Mystery International hay rake, , Woods posthole digger, 7ft York Rake, Wood splitter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,313 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maineuropa View Post
    I have been nosing around, looking at various models of tractors in the 40-50hp range as I would like the option of going to a disc mower eventually. I have been haying with my 955 and I have so far made over 400 bales this season with it, but it sometimes feels like I am pulling a train with a VW beetle..(it can be done, but there's little good for the 955 in the future). So in my looking around I like Deere tractors, but there seem to be terrible problems with new tractors. My strawberry farming neighbor up the street told me all about a 2018 JD 2038R for sale nearby, but at the same time telling me about all the problems he had with a new 4 series he just bought(new engine, tranny, etc, etc.) yes all under warranty but..

so to cut (pun) to the chase, what model Deere in the 40-50hp range would you recommend for working a 65 acre farm? I know I want 4wd, hydro, loader; after that I want reliability, repairability and ease of use(compact). Any thoughts on this? I just as soon have a simple workhorse with 1000-2000 hours on it than a new all digital wonder who's married to the JD repairman.
    In that case start looking at 20 year old tractors that have been well maintained. Not only will you be getting a “simple” machine which is easy to work on you will save many thousands of dollars.

Which brings up the thought - you won’t be getting a hydro with a 20 year old machine most likely. Why do you want a hydro machine for field work?
    rtgt, theduke and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your neighbor and his 4 series problems. I have one of the first 4066R models, a 2014, built in November 2014 and it has been rock solid at over 600 hours. It will definitely do what you want to do. I have the cab and hydro. I mow my yard with a 110 inch RFM and use a 10ft Rhino brush hog for the big stuff. It handles both with no issues. It has R4 tires, but for your use, you probably should consider R1 Ag tires. One big advantage of the 4 series over the smaller tractors is that it has a cast iron rear axle instead of aluminum. I have no problem in handling big round bales of hay with it and will be doing that shortly. Be sure and get 4th and 5th SCV's on the rear. I have those but not the 3rd SCV. One is in use constantly for my hyd top link. The other is used in the winter for my hyd angle 8ft rear blade. In my opinion a 4 series should be the smallest you consider. Maybe even a 5 series, but you lose the hydro then and I would not want to be without it.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Thanks
    i personally cant imagine hydro for a field tractor....

seems like to me if you can get the job done with a 955......then anything with more HP and # should be better

any kind of disc mower is going to require more of both......and i think in the more modern tractors your looking at a large 4...or small 5 series level machines...

i have had good luck with a 4500 in the past (sickle mowing/raking/24t baleing) ...but i hooked it up to a drum mower and it HPer'd it fine but weight wise more was needed and its weighs almost twice the weight of the 955......more hp in a 4 size would be maybe a 4720 but still short on weight...and yes you can find the 4s with hydro

but i think you need a 5 size like a 5055e (5000# bare tractor) minimum ....or age that series back like a 5225 ....but the hydro goes away
    Last edited by ttazzman; 07-10-2019 at 10:42 PM.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, johncanfield and 4 others like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maineuropa View Post

This is the big ?

I'm still at odds as to what to add to my fleet....The 955 is great and I'm keeping mine for life.
    I need something bigger and its looking like late 80's...perhaps into the early 2000's.
    Something thats 4000 lb.'s +....I prefer a hydro but I got No flat ground is why ( and no haying in my future)
    Let me know if you find the answer..I'm still in the hunt...No computer/No Emissions is whats in the budget.

Although I'm warming up to this new stuff....but prefer no payments @ this stage of the game.
    Last edited by theduke; 07-11-2019 at 12:30 AM.
    maineuropa and rtgt like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks

Disc mower

If you are contemplating a disc mower you will definitely want some weight. We mostly ran ours with an IH784 which was a good match. The shipping weight on the 784 is 6,200 lbs. Ballasted weight between 9,000 and 10,000. Last year we used a Kubota M6800, shipping weight 5,055 and operating around 6,000.

We could definitely tell the difference when the mower was off the ground even a little bit. The Kubota was fine running the mower but you felt any shift quite a bit more and we have mostly flat ground. If you are going to run a disc mower on any hillside ground, go for more weight than you think you need.

Treefarmer
    maineuropa, rtgt and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    i personally cant imagine hydro for a field tractor....

seems like to me if you can get the job done with a 955......then anything with more HP and # should be better

any kind of disc mower is going to require more of both......and i think in the more modern tractors your looking at a large 4...or small 5 series level machines...

i have had good luck with a 4500 in the past (sickle mowing/raking/24t baleing) ...but i hooked it up to a drum mower and it HPer'd it fine but weight wise more was needed and its weighs almost twice the weight of the 955......more hp in a 4 size would be maybe a 4720 but still short on weight...and yes you can find the 4s with hydro

but i think you need a 5 size like a 5055e (5000# bare tractor) minimum ....or age that series back like a 5225 ....but the hydro goes away
    Copy that, hydro's are great for some things, especially FEL work, I would not want to do serious field work with a hydro.
    rtgt and ttazzman like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks

Hydro or not..How about the 3720?

Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    Copy that, hydro's are great for some things, especially FEL work, I would not want to do serious field work with a hydro.
    I turn a compost pile and my field work is only 15 acres, so I am happy to use a hydro. I am interested in a Deere 3720, thinking that a 2011-2013 model would not have the diesel super exhaust cleaner set up, but would have about the right horsepower(44hp). Any feedback on the 3720?
    PJR832 likes this.
    Lyman, ME

955 Deere, FEL, 7 Backhoe, 59 Snowblower, 72" MMM, 7 ft Enorossi sickle bar mower, New Holland 273 Baler, Mystery International hay rake, , Woods posthole digger, 7ft York Rake, Wood splitter

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks

Weight issues

Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    If you are contemplating a disc mower you will definitely want some weight. We mostly ran ours with an IH784 which was a good match. The shipping weight on the 784 is 6,200 lbs. Ballasted weight between 9,000 and 10,000. Last year we used a Kubota M6800, shipping weight 5,055 and operating around 6,000.

We could definitely tell the difference when the mower was off the ground even a little bit. The Kubota was fine running the mower but you felt any shift quite a bit more and we have mostly flat ground. If you are going to run a disc mower on any hillside ground, go for more weight than you think you need.

Treefarmer
    Excellent point. I have been using an Enorossi sicklebar mower, which seems to do a pretty good job on my hayfields ( pretty flat, only about 15 acres). I may well have to pass on the larger, heavier tractor and disc mower, as I am getting older and place a premium on tractors that are lower to the ground! So I am looking at the 3720 as a possibility.
    Last edited by maineuropa; 07-30-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    Lyman, ME

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks
    I think you need to consider weight more than HP for the disc mower. Another thing to consider is that the HP usually stated on these smaller tractors is engine HP. More important to you for the disc mower is the PTO HP. For example, my 4066R is rated at 66 HP and that is what you hear referred to for the most part. However, it only has 52 PTO HP. That is a considerable difference, but is plenty for what you want to do. I was not able to determine the PTO HP for a 3720, but a 3046R with similar engine HP only has 34 PTO HP. I just do not believe that a 3 series has the HP to do what you want to do, plus does not have the weight. At a minimum, my opinion is that you need at least the highest HP 4 series or a 5 series (no hydro) with at least as much PTO HP as the highest 4 series. I would have no problems with my 4066R doing what you are wanting to do, but I might want to go with R1 ag tires and maybe filled tires with wheel weights.

Dave
    Last edited by ddinham; 07-30-2019 at 09:47 AM.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast