Contemplating upgrading from a 3R cab to a 4M OS?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Contemplating upgrading from a 3R cab to a 4M OS?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:00 AM
    Thanks

Contemplating upgrading from a 3R cab to a 4M OS?

I'm sure I'm in a rare bunch considering this option, but at the moment I'm considering upgrading my 3039r cab to a 4044m open station. The reason being, I'm looking to add a backhoe, and I'm not sure I'm really using the 3039r cab effectively for what it is. I ran the numbers, and depending on what the dealer would give me on trade, it would cost me the same amount to buy a 375a backhoe for my 3039r as it would be to trade the 3039r in and upgrade to a 4044m with 400e loader and 485a backhoe brand new. About 11k either way doing the math. I only have 65 hours on the 3039r. While I thoroughly enjoy the 3039r, the cab unfortunately has not served the purpose of being able to cut grass without my allergies being effected. I've cut about 3 times with my 3039r, (about 5 acres each time,) and each time I've ended up with bad sinus infections, which to me is saying the cab isn't blocking the allergens as I felt it would. In the past when I would cut grass on an open station model I would just wear a respirator the whole time and everything was fine, I've done that for years. So right now the most I used the 3039r for is loader work, which really isn't a whole lot right now, or running the recycling/trash cans down the 1/4 mile driveway. A gross miss use of the machine, honestly. I bought the 72D auto connect deck to go with the 3039r, but sadly it's only seen 3 hours of use and has been tucked away on storage stands for the last year in my shop. I've used a RFM most of the time because I found the 72D just kicked up way to much thatch on the grille of the 3039r and I would have to constantly get out and clean it. So that has been a wasted purchased unfortunately.

Recently I've come across a lot of jobs where a backhoe would be very useful. If I buy a 375a for the 3039r then I would be looking at 11k out of pocket. I thought of selling the 72D to fund a portion of that, but I'm really not keen about dropping that much cash out of pocket for it. I'd much rather finance it if possible, but that's really not an option on attachments. If buying a 485a on a 4044m then I can financing it out and still keep the cash in my pocket. I realize the M is a no frills tractor with a non-removeable loader, (or at least not as easy to remove,) basic seat, and other things, but I'm not sure that really concerns me. The comfort of the cab is nice, but constantly getting in and out of the cab, the setup of the loader joystick, the fear of breaking the windshield when remounting the loader (holy crap that was scary the other day, and I had a 3320 in the past for 10 years so it's not an inexperience thing), and the general just not being able to use it for bush hogging or grass work has me thinking otherwise.

Thoughts? Of course renting an excavator is an option, however the ability to have a backhoe to use at your convenience is worth more to me than having to plan on only doing a set set of jobs for a week during a rental period. The 4044r is out of my price range unfortunately, and if I'm getting getting rid of the 3039r than it isn't worth it to me to just go to a 3039r OS model, I would want to go bigger, otherwise I'll just stick with the 3039r cab.

Rick
    2017 JD X758 54HC deck, 54" front blade, Reugg Cat1 3pt, & Front Fenders
    2018 JD 3039r Deluxe Cab w/ Air Ride Seat & Mid PTO; 320r Loader w/ HD bucket, 3rd function, & BoltOn Hooks & Receiver; 375A backhoe w/ 18" & 9" buckets; 72D deck; Horst Forks; Ballast Box; Landpride FDR 2584; ProWorks Tree Puller; EA 55" Wicked Grapple

FS: 72D autoconnect deck setup for 3r tractors

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,304 Posts
    I remember reading here about a few people who have traded in to get a backhoe - even trading in the same model for the same model. Seems to happen enough with the 1 series crowd.

I see your point financially - you’ve run the numbers. At least you are looking at the real world dollars and not just the payment thing.

All of our conditions change one way or another so you are not alone.

The first thing that came to mind about your allergies - is there a cabin filter for the cab that would equal that of your respirator? I know with furnace filters there are many different options as far as what and how much they will trap. Have you looked into special filters?

I only ask as I am one to exhaust all options before I make a major move like this.

And one other thought - are you sure you can do without the A/C? If you’ve had your tractor long enough you might be taking it for granted. It gets awful hot in an open station tractor in the summer.....
    Last edited by coaltrain; 07-15-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    North585, PJR832, JD4044M and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks
    You can't finance a backhoe by itself? I would check with your dealer. How long ago did you buy the 3039R?

I will say that I am a bit disappointed in my 375A backhoe when it comes to digging up stumps. It does not have the power to rip out even 3" roots. It will eventually but you have to work at it. Otherwise it works good for what it was designed to do. I would start wearing the respirator and enjoy the A/C in the cab.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jet Dr.; 07-15-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    PJR832 and ttazzman like this.
    2018 3046R - Deluxe Cab, air ride seat, R4 tires, 3rd ESCV, diverter valve with 4th and 5th SCV's, mid PTO, 72D autoconnect MMM with independent lift, power beyond, 375A backhoe, 320R loader with 3rd function lines, L&R external mirrors, Frontier 60" 4 in 1 bucket and factory stereo with dedicated Sirius tuner.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Thanks
    But you can run the 3R with a respirator like you did in the OS but have air conditioning while in the cab. I would think that is more pleasant than a respirator in an OS in the middle of summer.

I often wonder if having a BH is like having a FEL. Before having a FEL I often questioned what people do with them. Then I got one and I found how useful they are. Now have a dedicated machine for FEL work all summer. Well I guess it would be easier to just say I bought a dedicated mower and retired my tractor from that task. Maybe if I got a BH I would find this to be the case. I do know that it would have been nice when I was doing all the hand trenching work with this garage build project.

Ultimately you have to look at how you use a machine and make a determination of the best use. Since the respirator works I would consider that option. You are going to have to wear it anyhow. Trading in a low hour machine can be tough with the hit you will take financially. As you found out, it is always best to buy every possible attachment at the purchase of the machine because they will only be a lot more expensive later and they don't have the financing options. That right there might be a big part of determining your best course of action. If you can't finance it alone and you don't want to come out of pocket, well that eliminates the option of getting the BH for the current machine. You don't have many options beyond that other than renting a BH. However keep in mind that the rental option sometimes is the better option. You can get a machine that is more capable as it was designed to just do that one thing. Maybe it is more compact (not as long as the tractor with BH and fits between trees and buildings better. Maybe it will dig deeper. With our garage build I did consider getting a BH. While I couldn't fit one to my current tractor, I could buy a 2025R TLB for about what I paid someone to do the excavating. So pay it once for someone else to do the job or buy the tool to do it and I would always have it. It was very tempting but in the end it came down to what I had time to do and skill level. It is something that really only you can decide.
    PJR832 and JD4044M like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I remember reading here about a few people who have traded in to get a backhoe - even trading in the same model for the same model. Seems to happen enough with the 1 series crowd.

I see your point financially - youíve run the numbers. At least you are looking at the real world dollars and not just the payment thing.

The first thing that came to mind about your allergies - is there a cabin filter for the cab that would equal that of your respirator? I know with furnace filters there are many different options as far as what and how much they will trap. Have you looked into special filters?

I only ask as I am one to exhaust all options before I make a major move like this.

And one other thought - are you sure you can do without the A/C? If youíve had your tractor long enough you might be taking it for granted. It gets awful hot in an open station tractor in the summer.....
    I was thinking about a pollen filter option for the cab as well. Also thinking about the house. However like with a house filter, if it is too restrictive what will happen is the evaporator coil will freeze up. Not sure if that would happen in a tractor cab but it is possible. Another tip I have seen in home systems is to spray some baby oil on the filter or something like that. It gives off a pleasant smell but also the oils will trap particles better than a dry filter alone. Kind of like oiling a K&N replaceable filter for a vehicle. I have never had a cab so I don't know what the options are for that either.
    PJR832 and JD4044M like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Thanks
    Spend the $11K on a used mini EX,, keep your original tractor,,

Two machines will do double work as compared to a AG tractor with a backhoe attachment, literally...

No multi-tasker can do what a designed specific machine can do,,

No way a 65 hour machine would leave my ownership, for any reason other than it being a lemon,,,
    Milharri, Jamone, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about the cab not working for you. The cab made a night and day difference for me by keeping the dust out. I could smell the grass/weeds so Iím sure the allergens were making it through. Itís a shame thereís no recirculate option on the air conditioner.

I put the mulching kit on my 72d and now thereís no more clippings that get thrown up and into the grill. It mustíve cut down on the dust by 98%. There also no clippings that get thrown on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    North585 and JD4044M like this.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks

I see your point financially - youíve run the numbers. At least you are looking at the real world dollars and not just the payment thing.

And one other thought - are you sure you can do without the A/C? If youíve had your tractor long enough you might be taking it for granted. It gets awful hot in an open station tractor in the summer.....
    Man, the placement of the filter for the cab tractors has to be the worst ever. Itís on the rear right above the windshield. Anyone whoís ever driven a tractor know that the dust swirls on the back. That filter clogs every single day. If you were to put a filter with better filtration on it I bet youíd get no more than 2 hours before itís completely clogged. In fact I was so frustrated with the filter that I almost looked at other brands of tractors just to see if any had a better setup.

My only guess is that the engineers designed it for use on northern, suburban lawns than never dry out so thereís no dust. It was definitely NOT designed for use in Texas.

lindsey97 and JD4044M like this.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milharri View Post
    Sorry to hear about the cab not working for you. The cab made a night and day difference for me by keeping the dust out. I could smell the grass/weeds so Iím sure the allergens were making it through. Itís a shame thereís no recirculate option on the air conditioner.

I put the mulching kit on my 72d and now thereís no more clippings that get thrown up and into the grill. It mustíve cut down on the dust by 98%. There also no clippings that get thrown on me.

This is a good point. There is no reason why someone couldnít make something work to make the air recirculate. One would have to provide a register of sorts and maybe a little duct work but it could be done as long as proper air flow was maintained.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milharri View Post
    Man, the placement of the filter for the cab tractors has to be the worst ever. Itís on the rear right above the windshield. Anyone whoís ever driven a tractor know that the dust swirls on the back. That filter clogs every single day. If you were to put a filter with better filtration on it I bet youíd get no more than 2 hours before itís completely clogged. In fact I was so frustrated with the filter that I almost looked at other brands of tractors just to see if any had a better setup.

My only guess is that the engineers designed it for use on northern, suburban lawns than never dry out so thereís no dust. It was definitely NOT designed for use in Texas.

This is a good point. There is no reason why someone couldnít make something work to make the air recirculate. One would have to provide a register of sorts and maybe a little duct work but it could be done as long as proper air flow was maintained.

I could be wrong on this but I thought I read that one of the benefits of a factory cab over aftermarket options is that they are built tighter (seems to not be the case) but also that the have a positive air flow. Meaning clean filtered air is pumped into the cab to push air out any leaks and gaps that are there preventing dirty unfiltered air from getting in. That would prevent the ability to do a recirculation option unless there were some other source of air. Well unless they turned it into a vacuum chamber which would be a poor decision as it would be hostile to life.

I do agree that if that is where they chose to suck air in, that there may have been other locations that would have been a little wiser to use than the back of the cab. I wonder if there is an opportunity to develop some form of snorkel and/or pre-filter for pulling in fresh air from a location that is a little cleaner?

Oh and we get plenty dusty up here in Minnesota.

JD X585, 54C deck,

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast