Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Tractor Died. HELP!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 02:33 PM
    Thanks

Tractor Died. HELP!

Imagine my surprise today when I was mowing along with my 3046R cabbed tractor, hit a bump, came to a immediate stop and the tractor was dead dead dead. I shut the key, the PTO and anything else that needed to be off, off. Turned the key back on and nothing. NOTHING! Neighbor came and towed me back to the shed. I found a wire that was pulled loose from somewhere that was also plugged into wires from the front of the tractor somewhere. Can't find any wires that would connect to what was tore apart. The tractor air does work, lights and maybe a couple other small items, but mostly nothing. When the key is turned on the dash does not do anything. What in the wide world of sports happened?

The title should read tractor died. Fat fingers.
    Last edited by jeb182; 07-20-2019 at 10:36 PM.
    etcallhome likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 AM
    Thanks
    i dont own a 3046r

but if i did i would start at fuse box....blown fuses would indicate any shorts

then i would check battery wires from battery to terminating connections

3rd stop would be at the key switch itself

I assume you have done a visual inspection of any exposed wires and connections allready
    Last edited by ttazzman; 07-21-2019 at 01:16 AM.
    etcallhome, jdmich and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    All of those have been done. A couple things do work such as the lights and fan for the air conditioning. But most of it is dead.
    etcallhome likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Thanks

General guesses

I don't own a 3046 so these are general guesses. If the tractor died, something cut off power to the fuel pump or opened the fuel cut off switch. It could be the connection itself or one of the safety switches is rigged to require power through the switch for fuel to flow. All of that wiring should have been cabled and secured but sometimes stuff doesn't get done correctly. I'd check and see if you have power to the fuel pump, fuel cut off solenoid etc. and then try to work backwards.

A wiring diagram will save you a lot of time if you have one.

Treefarmer
    etcallhome likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 11:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeb182 View Post
    I found a wire that was pulled loose from somewhere that was also plugged into wires from the front of the tractor somewhere. Can't find any wires that would connect to what was tore apart.

The tractor air does work, lights and maybe a couple other small items, but mostly nothing. When the key is turned on the dash does not do anything.
    Have you been able to identify the loose wire you found? It sounds key to me at this point. I would check the area it connects for other wires overstressed or actually disconnected, and the associated connectors. Check fuses on those circuits too if you haven't already. If the wire was part of a bundle those wires should be checked very closely.

Does anything on the dash show power? Process of elimination for things that work and things that don't can help you narrow it down. A simple 12v tester can be used to discover a lot. A good wiring diagram would be super helpful.

This jiggled an old learning experience for me. Someone had slid some working rack mount equipment across the carpeted floor and suddenly it didn't work when reinstalled. It was a bugger to find as the slide had torn a wire off cleanly at both ends. Looking for a broken wire was standard but there was nothing to see at that point.

Happy hunting!
    Last edited by RadarDon; 07-21-2019 at 08:15 AM.
    etcallhome likes this.
    2032R, 220R FEL, 270B Backhoe, RT1157 Tiller, 59" 2000 Snow Blower, LR 2072 Rake, OTC Cab, CL Subsoiler, 3pt Tow Hitch, UA 42" Forks, IMatch with Kenny's Hook, Kenny's Bolt-On Hooks

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,149 Times in 2,588 Posts
    A pictures of said "wires to somewhere" would be helpful.

PS: I edited the thread title.
    etcallhome and PJR832 like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeb182 View Post
    All of those have been done. A couple things do work such as the lights and fan for the air conditioning. But most of it is dead.
    Those is the same items that powered in the ACC position. Sounds like power is not not getting to the MAIN relay.

Jeff
    etcallhome likes this.
    2018 3046R - Deluxe Cab, air ride seat, R4 tires, 3rd ESCV, diverter valve with 4th and 5th SCV's, mid PTO, 72D autoconnect MMM with independent lift, power beyond, 375A backhoe, 320R loader with 3rd function lines, L&R external mirrors, Frontier 60" 4 in 1 bucket and factory stereo with dedicated Sirius tuner.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for fixing the title.

When I can get a picture uploaded I will. I was hoping someone had experienced something similar. It was a long shot. Neighbor is coming over this afternoon and we are going to see if we can figure out where the wires go. We looked yesterday, but there wasn't any ripped apart wires anyplace that we could see. Hopefully we will have some luck. I will let you know. Thanks for all of the replies.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    11-17-2019 @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    If you have a loose wire with an exposed end hanging loose, I would be looking at any multi-pin plugs within reach of that wire, as it very likely pulled out of the backside of a plug harness. They’re usually just crimped into place in a metal male or female connector inside a plastic plug coupler. You’ll want to check plugs for any spot where you have a wire going in one side, but no associated wire on the other side.

Definitely pictures will help, but like others said that wire can be no coincidence that the tractor suddenly died.
    Last edited by AJgrn78; 07-21-2019 at 05:00 PM.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well it's fixed. Yesterday when fuses were checked outside we were unable to find any bad fuses. Today we went back and looked again and found that there was a blown fuse. 15 amp ignition fuse. The light was better in the garage and we were able to see easier them outside yesterday. Replaced it and it works fine. We were never able to find where the torn wires went to so that mystery continues. I'm going to stop at the JD store and look at one of the tractors there and talk to service. Thanks for all of the replies.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast