Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: FEL joystick hydraulic questions on 4200

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-17-2019 @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks

FEL joystick hydraulic questions on 4200

I just acquired a 2000MY JD 4200 with a 72" belly mower. The unit doesn't have a FEL......yet. It is however equipped with the joystick. The joystick (bucket up/down) is used to raise and lower the mower deck. I don't see any other hydraulics that could be used to control the mower lift.

My question: When I acquire a FEL for this unit, how can I control the mower lift function? Is there a kit that will add what I need?

Is it possible to use the bucket curl function on the joystick to raise and lower the mower and then switch the hoses to the FEL when I need the bucket to curl?

Looking for solutions

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    There are two options on the 42/43/4400. Option one was a single SCV that is controlled using a lever on the fender and routed to quick connectors behind the seat. Option two is a three spool SCV that has two spools controlled via the joy stick and lines are routed to four quick connectors located immediate front of the floor. There's a kit, JD PN BM19694, that routes the third spool to the rear and allows it to be controlled from a lever on the fender. This is commonly called the "third function." My 4200 has all three - I use the two sets of mid connectors for the load and the third rear connectors for the mower. Here's a link to the parts page that shows how it all fits together: https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/...pgId/240211463

These are generally no longer available but they show up on eBay or CraigsList from time to time. If one was inclined, they could probably purchase most of the parts that make up the kit but that's going to be pricey. Or, look for a scrap 42/43/4400 that has the kit installed on it and remove the parts you need.

It seems like its a matter of preference but I don't mow with my loader on. Keeping the mower lines plugged in to the rear is a convenience.

Let me know if you'd like pictures of how mine is set up.
    mjncad likes this.
    John Deere 4200, 420 FEL, 60" MMM, #74 Front Blade, #59 Snowblower, iMatch, Hydraulic Dump MCS

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-19-2019 @ 04:57 PM
    Thanks
    You need a selective control valve if you do not already have one.

I have a 2305 but the process is the same. I don’t have the scope, it would be handy at times but I almost always drop the FEL when mowing. Makes the front lighter to turn and I have trees so trying to maneuver the loader through while mowing is tough. My independent mower lift is plugged into one of the FEL ports, so I just plug it in when FEL is off and mower is on.

The SCV on a 4200 looks like the pic it is the control under the joystick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E97B5BAA-E37B-4A2C-8583-FB416A3062B1.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	697152
    Last edited by MeagerHair; 07-25-2019 at 09:49 PM.
    mjncad likes this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Short answer - yes you can unplug the curl lines and plug in the mower lift.
    John Deere 4200, 420 FEL, 60" MMM, #74 Front Blade, #59 Snowblower, iMatch, Hydraulic Dump MCS

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,149 Times in 2,588 Posts
    Just take the loader off when you mow...then you hook up the deck just like you do now, no more money spent.

But, a loader will be hard to find, especially used. expect to pay about $4000 for one, so make sure you want to put that much into a 18 year old tractor.
    mjncad and Catfishin like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    So, from what I'm getting from your replies: If I have a joystick, the control valve assembly has 3 spool valves in it......and 2 of those valves are needed to control a FEL. That leaves a 3rd spool valve that can be used to control other things like a grapple or mower lift. Correct?

I have been looking at the drawings for the single control valve kit. It looks like some hydraulic lines the route to the rear of the tractor and then the spool valve is controlled by a cable and lever. Is this correct?

I don't need hydraulics routed to the rear, I need them right at the joystick valve(s). From the instructions, It looks like routing the lines are the hardest part of the installation. So I don't need the lines, just the control lever and cable, correct?

I do plan on installing a FEL and I found a new H160 take-off at a dealer in Wisconsin. Not too bad on price and I think the tractor is worth the investment.
    Dropping the FEL during mowing would solve the problem 100% and improve maneuverability around the trees.

Dave

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:35 AM
    Thanks
    Will the loader you have in mind even fit a 4200? The 4200 (I own one) had one loader option and that was the 420, which hasn't been made in ages.

I've attached a component location from my 4200 - 4400 shop manual.
    ttazzman likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes, I've done the research and JD makes a kit to install the H160 on a 4200.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    mjncad likes this.
    2000 MY JD 4200 with H160 loader and 72" mower

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    I found this chart here on the forum. According to the chart these loaders are compatible.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    mjncad likes this.
    2000 MY JD 4200 with H160 loader and 72" mower

12. The Following User Says Thank You to turbodave231 For This Useful Post:

mjncad (07-28-2019)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodave231 View Post
    So, from what I'm getting from your replies: If I have a joystick, the control valve assembly has 3 spool valves in it......and 2 of those valves are needed to control a FEL. That leaves a 3rd spool valve that can be used to control other things like a grapple or mower lift. Correct?
    That is how it is on my 4200. I'm fairly confident you're is similar. From the rear of my tractor, I can see where the cable controlling the third function attaches; Perhaps you can also.

I have been looking at the drawings for the single control valve kit. It looks like some hydraulic lines the route to the rear of the tractor and then the spool valve is controlled by a cable and lever. Is this correct?
    Yes

I don't need hydraulics routed to the rear, I need them right at the joystick valve(s). From the instructions, It looks like routing the lines are the hardest part of the installation. So I don't need the lines, just the control lever and cable, correct?
    It is possible to purchase hoses and the correct fittings and attach them directly to the valve rather than using the OEM hard lines and fittings. In this case, one would only need the control parts.

I would offer on my machine, the hoses on the mower lift kit are long enough to reach either the mid mount connectors or the rear connectors. I use the rear because its more convenient.

I do plan on installing a FEL and I found a new H160 take-off at a dealer in Wisconsin. Not too bad on price and I think the tractor is worth the investment.
    Dropping the FEL during mowing would solve the problem 100% and improve maneuverability around the trees.

Dave
    In my (never) humble opinion, I would not put a lot of money into this. I have a 3rd function because that's the way it was configured when I purchased the machine. I'd be on the lookout for a kit showing up on eBay and then invest there if it was $200 or less. Otherwise, I'd just use it the way it is. Mowing with the loader is awkward unless it is an open field.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast