Fuel cutoff issues with 955.

Thread: Fuel cutoff issues with 955.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-01-2019 @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks

Fuel cutoff issues with 955.

It appears now that my fuel cutoff solenoid is not getting energized sometimes when I crank the engine, thus it will not start.
    Possibly the ignition is not getting power to the solenoid; I notice that when I manually open/Shut the solenoid it will then start and somehow enough power gets to the solenoid to keep running. I think the first step will be to remove and check over the solenoid, double check all electrical connections(major source of these type of issues..after 30 years the connections need help).
    After that I will pull out the electrical diagram and see where the power is, or isn't. Not sure if the ignition switch needs replacement yet.
    Rest and Be Thankful Farm
    Lyman, ME

955 Deere, FEL, 7 Backhoe, 59 Snowblower, 72" MMM, 7 ft Enorossi sickle bar mower, New Holland 273 Baler, Mystery International hay rake, , Woods posthole digger, 7ft York Rake, Wood splitter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    For whatever reason......the fuse block ( i think it holds 4) has been an issue on some 955's.
    I've noticed a few besides the problem child I owned that have had this area "rewired"

I've owned 2 and still have 1...Never experianced your particular problem but the "other" one was very tempermental.

There were 2 of the 4 fuses that had been rerouted/rewired outside of the factory fuse block. That tractor ran great but had a mind like Hanable....It was gonna be a good day or not. had intermitten pto engagement issues that eventually seemed to fix themselves. Would refuse to turn over with key unless you jumped a wire from starter "hot" post to solinoid. Once bumped it would start with key rest of the day...sometimes had to hold key in start position for a few seconds...then it would finally kick in.
    Multiple trips to dealer...they reccomended an entire wiring harness replacement...UUGGG...I said just replace the ignition switch....Reply...We won't do that,They never go bad....That one went down the road . It was the better of the 2
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Try pressing the Forward/Reverse pedals while holding key.

Just tested this on mine...possible fix...idk

If yours is cranking but Not starting..Probly not the issue.

Here you will find the wiring diagram...its quite aways down 3/4's or so

http://www.golftechs.us/Manuals/JDtractors.pdf
    Last edited by theduke; 07-27-2019 at 11:26 PM.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-01-2019 @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Try pressing the Forward/Reverse pedals while holding key.

Just tested this on mine...possible fix...idk

If yours is cranking but Not starting..Probly not the issue.

Here you will find the wiring diagram...its quite aways down 3/4's or so

http://www.golftechs.us/Manuals/JDtractors.pdf

Seems to crank fine, the solenoid is possibly just not getting enough power to allow the fuel thru. I will go thru all the electrics when I get done with these 300 hay
    bales..
    Rest and Be Thankful Farm
    Lyman, ME

955 Deere, FEL, 7 Backhoe, 59 Snowblower, 72" MMM, 7 ft Enorossi sickle bar mower, New Holland 273 Baler, Mystery International hay rake, , Woods posthole digger, 7ft York Rake, Wood splitter

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Dan

Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Go ahead and remove the solenoid from the engine (leave it plugged in) and see if it pulls in when you turn the key on. If it doesn't, push in the plunger and see if it stays in. If it does, you have a pull coil problem. Go ahead and unplug it and use a car battery and some wires to individually activate the pull and hold coils. Does it function normally? if so, then you have another issue. But if it doesn't, then the solenoid is bad and it needs replaced.

It is possible to run without it, juts remove it and when you want to shut the tractor off just stick your finger in there and push the little thingy and it will shut off. Note that it will leak some oil if you do this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements