Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Please help!!! 4400 Won't Start

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks

Please help!!! 4400 Won't Start

I'm getting really bummed here guys, I need some help. One day I'm yelling YIPPEE and probably pissing off my neighbors while working later than I should, the next morning I have a dead tractor in the front yard. Maybe an angry neighbor come to think of it. I'm the 3rd? owner of a JD 4400 and no idea how many hours are on it, pretty sure the hours have turned over or stopped counting. It was working great one day, didn't run it out of fuel or anything, it just wouldn't start the next morning. Here's what I know, which is very little so please be gentle, I'm great at fixing houses and very much the beginner at engines.

The engine turns over, new battery new fuel filter and all the fuel lines are flowing nicely, fuel pump seems to be operating.
    I cracked the injector lines on top, thinking there was air in the line, turned the engine over, no fuel came out.
    Maybe a fuel solenoid because it's not clicking when I turn the key? Someone said it should click. Before changing that I had a mechanic come by this morning and he ran an electric tester in the plug going to the solenoid and he said it's not getting power so must be a bad relay in the fuse panel or something before the solenoid.
    I bought a new fuel relay today, still nothing. The fuses were pretty dirty so I took all of them off and hit everything with a wire brush. No go.
    I checked the safety cut-off under the seat, it's been bypassed so shouldn't be the problem, right?
    The mechanic is thinking it might be an ignition switch but I'm hesitant to start changing parts just yet. A different mechanic says the injector pump. I'm thinking maybe solenoid, but the mechanic say's it before that. Where do I go from here?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Well Iíd say youíve done a good job so far narrowing down the problem, no power to that fuel solenoid seems to be the problem, so itís an electrical issue.

You mentioned the seat switch is bypassed, I wonder if you have a problem with the neutral switch on the transmission?

Is there a way to check the leads coming off the ignition switch to make sure itís sending 12 volts to the fuel solenoid?
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    This is where I show my lack of expertise. I have no idea what you just said. Neutral switch on the transmission? I'm sure I could check it if I new where or what it was. Are you thinking it may be stuck in gear? Would it still turn over if it was?

As for checking the leads on the ignition...I know electricians who probably could. I do have a multimeter for working on furnaces, but I do that so rarely that I wouldn't know where to start on an engine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    Check to see if your PTO switch is turned on. That will keep it from starting. It might also keep it from turning over. So you might just have a fuel problem.

Dave
    mjncad likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    I had a Cummins dealer tell me that I needed a $4,000 injector pump. I asked if it could be a something restricting fuel delivery, they said nope - the computer was indicating an injector pump problem.

I left (without a new injector pump), found a small in-line fuel filter that was clogged, replaced it, then it ran fine - for a few hours. That little filter had clogged up again. I had to replace it a few times before the problem went away for good.

I would recommend checking to see if there is an inline filter that needs to be replaced.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,135 Times in 2,578 Posts
    IF it is cranking as stated, then it is NOT a safety switch as they will keep the starter from engaging.

This series tractor (4200, 4300, 4400) had whats called a "thermistor" to operate the fuel solenoid, they quite often fail and cause the issue your having. It's only a $5 (or less) part but they can be a pain to change since they are wrapped up in the wiring harness behind the fuse panel assembly.

Here are some threads to review:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...entertain.html

These are on TBN, scroll down past the adds:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/search/?q=thermistor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thermistor.JPG
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RobatRob View Post
    This is where I show my lack of expertise. I have no idea what you just said. Neutral switch on the transmission? I'm sure I could check it if I new where or what it was. Are you thinking it may be stuck in gear? Would it still turn over if it was?

As for checking the leads on the ignition...I know electricians who probably could. I do have a multimeter for working on furnaces, but I do that so rarely that I wouldn't know where to start on an engine.
    The neutral safety switch is a switch on the transmission that prevents the tractor from starting unless it is in neutral, the idea being to prevent a tractor from being started in gear, accidentally or intentionally, and having someone get run over.

Of course, as Kenny pointed out, this would prevent the tractor from cranking the engine (thatís what happens when I post replies after midnight, I knew that...)

Regardless I think Kenny nailed your problem, good luck!
    Kennyd, rtgt, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:18 AM
    Thanks
    Kenny has the answer.....it will look like a piece of CHICKLET chewing gum in that wiring mess. YES a pain to replace.
    Kennyd, Herminator and PJR832 like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    WOW!!! Thank you guys for such great help and quick response time, I should've come here long ago. Even if the suggestions don't work it's great to know this kind of help is available.

Kennyd, I think I'm going to start there with the thermistor. I saw a guy on youtube with the same problem and he solved it the same way, but boy you are correct, it won't be easy to access. I removed the bolts holding the fuse panel and I believe I see the little "chicklet". This is the most room I can manage though. (see pics)

I see this rod and bolt that appear to be for the steering and it might be pinning the wiring harness down, but I'm not sure. I THINK if I remove that bolt I might get a little more freedom on the wires but not much. Maybe not worth going that route?

Any suggestions on how to get back there more easily. Every pic I find online shows people with oodles of room to work with.

Thanks again guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190810_165051.jpg IMG_20190810_165112.jpg IMG_20190810_165131.jpg
    mjncad and Herminator like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Sorry, if I remove this bolt and/or it's harness, do you think it will free up some room on the cables? Am I opening up a can of worms by doing that?

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190810_165131.jpg

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast