• 1 Post By DIESELbowhunter
  • 2 Post By Kennyd

Thread: Please help diagnose this noise

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Thanks

Please help diagnose this noise

Hey guys. My 4310 makes this whining noise in the front area of the tractor. I notice it when I idle down and get off the tractor to do some work around the bucket. It may also do it at higher rpm but it is very noticeable at idle, as the video shows. I bought the tractor last year with 400 hours on it and it now has about 460. I think it was doing this since I owned it. Any ideas ? Thanks guys

https://youtu.be/x4MAwYKXbUQ

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELbowhunter View Post
    Hey guys. My 4310 makes this whining noise in the front area of the tractor. I notice it when I idle down and get off the tractor to do some work around the bucket. It may also do it at higher rpm but it is very noticeable at idle, as the video shows. I bought the tractor last year with 400 hours on it and it now has about 460. I think it was doing this since I owned it. Any ideas ? Thanks guys

https://youtu.be/x4MAwYKXbUQ
    Check your hydro fluid levels. Almost sounds like what the hydraulic steering sounds like when you max out the steering in a turn. I would also look in the engine bay and see if there is anything that rubbing that might be causing the noise.

Do you know the last time the hydraulic fluid and filter were changed? While it may on have 400+ hours on it, if that oil has been in the system for years it might be time change it due to its age.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I did a complete service on it as soon as I brought it home. Hydraulic fluid level is good. While researching this noise, the closest things I found were 1, there’s a hydraulic hose/manifold that connects to the hydraulic pump on the left side of the engine. I guess sometimes air could get in the system of this hose gets dry rotted, solution is to replace the hose. The other closest thing I found was there was a poppet valve that caused the 45 46 and 4710s to make a hydraulic whine and squeal. Deere apparently has a new poppet that fixes this. Thinking about just getting both parts. Anyone have any insight on this?
    69project likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,947 Times in 2,465 Posts
    I don't know about the poppet valve issue, but the rubber manifold thing is for real and should be replaced on a machine of this age, and it's relatively cheap as I remember.

However, I did not listen to the video yet...
    BigJim55 and 69project like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELbowhunter View Post
    I did a complete service on it as soon as I brought it home. Hydraulic fluid level is good. While researching this noise, the closest things I found were 1, there’s a hydraulic hose/manifold that connects to the hydraulic pump on the left side of the engine. I guess sometimes air could get in the system of this hose gets dry rotted, solution is to replace the hose. The other closest thing I found was there was a poppet valve that caused the 45 46 and 4710s to make a hydraulic whine and squeal. Deere apparently has a new poppet that fixes this. Thinking about just getting both parts. Anyone have any insight on this?
    Sounds like you need to inspect the hose and possibly replace it. The noise really sounds like something with the hydraulic system but is intermittent. Good luck on resolving this. I know its annoying to have an issue you can't identify and solve.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I don't know about the poppet valve issue, but the rubber manifold thing is for real and should be replaced on a machine of this age, and it's relatively cheap as I remember.

However, I did not listen to the video yet...
    Knowing about the rubber manifold, is it something that is known for this sound ? Or just that it Dry rots and should be replaced. That hose is cheap enough that I will just go ahead and order it and I will update when it’s replaced.

Yes these unknown tractor issues, or with anything I own, are super frustrating! Luckily the tractor is operating well and smooth.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,947 Times in 2,465 Posts
    I can't say that its known for any sound, but it is well known for cracking and / or collapsing and allowing air to be sucked in, thereby causing pump cavitation and foamy hydraulic fluid.

I would get a cheap mechanics stethoscope or use the long screwdriver to your ear method and try to isolate where exactly the sound is coming from, it very well could be a simple bearing in the fan belt tensioner or water pump.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I just ordered the hose and will replace next week. In the mean time I’ll see if I can isolate anything.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements