• 1 Post By danmc48
  • 1 Post By ch612

Thread: 2018 3038e review

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-23-2019 @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks

Question 2018 3038e review

Hi everyone I just bought a new 3038e with a 300e loader. Iím writing this to see if anyone is having same problems and to get the attention of John Deere. I traded in a very good 950 for a brand new tractor with the promise of more horsepower and for reliability, but instead I got a tractor that I cannot pick up 350lbs with a 8ft boom pole and the loader constantly leaks down and un curls when I am mowing with my finishing mower. I was told after they kept my tractor for 2 weeks that I couldnít use a 8ft boom pole with my $28000 tractor and to just use my loader. I was also told that the amount my loader was leaking down was within parameters set by John Deere and the only way to stop it was by purchasing some kind of anti leak down valves for $480 each and I didnít even listen to how many it would need but I would guess probably 6. I find this completely ridiculous, after the oil gets hot I have to re curl the bucket about 2 inches about every 5 mins or when I hit bumps the bucket starts flapping. Why should there be perimeters of leak on a new tractor, I can understand a old one leaking down after years of service but not on a new one. They also tested the pressure on the 3 point and it showed a little over 1000lbs which they said was correct but after looking at specs it supposed to be over 1200lbs. Is the problem with John Deere making a sub par tractor or my local service being lazy and not wanting to mess with because itís not a $250000 cotton picker?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:56 AM
    Thanks
    My bucket would go to full ''dump" in under a minute. Sent it to the dealer and they found a bad cylinder. Look in the Hydraulic forum for more info. As a long time owner of Deere machinery I can see how the machines have changed to meet current market demands. This being said, I believe John Deere makes a good product. Sit down and have a face to face meeting with you dealership's service manager.
    PJR832 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    12-01-2019 @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks
    I got my 3038e about a year and a half ago. Its had the dumping leak down from the start. I may have to curl a couple of times just going across the yard carrying wet dirt. The 1025r I had would curl more than it would lift, the 3038e is opposite.

Lift seems a tad weak, might need to have pressure bumped up. It has never had a problem picking up a full bucket of rock or dirt, but the breakout seems weaker than I feel it should be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:55 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 2017 3025e so my loader is little different, but i had the same bucket flop going on, and i called my dealer and they came out to my place for FREE, and installed the parts for FREE as well.

Like it was stated by another poster, you need to have a conversation with your dealer. They need to do more to make sure you are happy. In my world at least, $28,000 is a LOT of money.
    PJR832 likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-23-2019 @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will have a sit down with the service manager maybe this winter when they arenít so busy. I saw the leak down parameters in the hydraulic forums and by that it says it could leak 9-14 inches an hour and still be ok which I find completely ridiculous, if anti leak down valves can stop this then they should be included, if this is the case then what other preventive corners have they cut in order to save themselves money.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 06:56 AM
    Thanks
    "if this is the case then what other preventive corners have they cut in order to save themselves money."

Well, like I said market conditions have changed the manufacturing of their products. You/we, the consumer, have made money the standard rather than quality. I have owned John Deere machinery for 40 years and this 3025E is my first CUT. There is a big difference between a Waterloo tractor with a 148 loader and Deere's best CUT with a loader. The foreign manufactures have "dumbed down'' the way tractors, bulldozers, excavators are made. In order to be competitive in the world market and give a return to their investors we have the current field of products.

I am fortunate there are two good Deere dealers (1 ag & 1 industrial) within an hours drive of our place. Maybe without them I would have a different attitude.
    PJR832 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 02:41 PM
    Thanks
    Its a good unit, but its a farm tractor/lawnmower after all.

Problems i have had. 420hrs so far. (bought used at 88hrs)

1. Loader leaks off pretty quick. Not an issue unless you have to "let it hang", for regular bucket work not an issue.
    I cut grass with the bucket off, saves having to re curl it a million times.
    2. The dash outputs all locked on and it set itself on fire (fuel shutoff solenoid). New dash is $1500.00, new solenoid $250.00 from JD. I fixed the problem by rewiring it like a 1980, cost of parts (new fuel solenoid, coil commander, wire and solder EBAY!!!) $200. All saftey systems still work.
    3. My year had no voltage meter or cigarette lighter. Fixed
    4.Top link holder hook sucks, fixed by tarp strap.
    5. No tool box....... Still working on this.
    6. Poor traction using implements/snow push. Fixed by learning to ballast like a pro. Also tire pressure i run 35psi front, 16psi rears.
    7. Noisy Engine, Fixed. Stihl worktunes headphones, get a set, really needed on this unit.
    8. Leaky front axle, gets hot and blows oil out seals. Semi fixed drilled small relief hole in dip stick. Still leaks randomly now.

But my list of things i like far exceeds this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements