JD 4300 - Losing Power Uphill

Thread: JD 4300 - Losing Power Uphill

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-04-2019 @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks

JD 4300 - Losing Power Uphill

I am losing power / rpm when going uphill. It is fine on flat or downhill situations. Strangely, I’d the PTO is engaged (ex: bushog),the power does not drop. The rpms/power drop when I press the pedal. As soon as I lift my foot off, the rpms jump back to normal. I’ve recently changed fuel filter, oil filter, changed out all hydraulic fluid and replaced that filter, replaced air filters. The two things that I am thinking are: 1. Something is blocking fuel intake inside tank (hence the power drop uphill) or 2. The fuel pump is struggling. Any thoughts? How can I test the fuel pump integrity? Why is it fine uphill when the PTO is on?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks
    I'm not totally familiar with your tractor model, but I'm going to assume that it has at least 2 transmission ranges (Hi and Lo). Are you in Hi when the power drops off? If the bush hog is on, are you running in Lo?
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-04-2019 @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks
    My tractor has 3 ranges: A, B, C from high power low speed to opposite. It is the hydro transmission (no clutch). I’ve attempted in each setting with the same results when going uphill. While using PTO, I’ve done the mid range setting and low. Both were ok going uphill.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,150 Times in 2,306 Posts
    Does your tractor have e-hydro?

I remember way back when I test drove one at my dealer and it acted just like you say - but I didn’t have the PTO going.

If you do have e-hydro have you tried it with the switch in either position? Sounds like maybe it might not be disengaging.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks

You might find this helpful - sticky thermostat

I had similar issues with my 4200 a while ago. Fixing the thermostat so the engine could warm up helped. Here's the thread: https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...injectors.html

Also, letting off the forward peddle will reduce the load on the engine. Going faster = more load on engine. Going slower = less load.
    John Deere 4200, 420 FEL, 60" MMM, #74 Front Blade, #59 Snowblower, iMatch, Hydraulic Dump MCS

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements