BW16138 3rd Function Loader Arm Couplers Leaking with Grapple

Thread: BW16138 3rd Function Loader Arm Couplers Leaking with Grapple

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks

BW16138 3rd Function Loader Arm Couplers Leaking with Grapple

I recently installed the BW16138 loader arm hydraulic line kit on my H165 loader and I've been experiencing leaking happening at the couplers, but only when my grapple is connected.

The Titan grapple I bought came with couplers that were too large so I bought couplers from the JD dealer (and thread adapters) to match the little couplers included with the BW16138 kit. At first I thought it was the thread adapters since there was 2 of them to get from 1/2" MNPT to 3/8" and then 3/8" to 1/4" so I ordered some 1/2" to 1/4" and covered them with loctite 569 sealant and tightened them to the german torque spec known as gudentite (at least) but unfortunately that did not correct the problem - the problem is the couplers leaking themselves.

The leaking is less than a drip per minute when I get out and stand there but when using my grapple for an hour or so there was hydraulic oil all over the front of the hood. I went to the dealer and they don't offer replacment internal o-rings for the couplers and I've been reluctant to replace the couplers with the same [Pioneer] couplers. I guess I have 2 questions -

Question A:
    Has anyone had experience fixing these couplers or what to replace them with? part numbers would be fantastic.

Question B:
    Is this a 'lack of moderation' issue?...I read somewhere once that the 3rd SCV using the electronic switch on the FEL control that it immediately gives full pressure which in some cases can be excessive...any ideas how to fix this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190609_223633.jpg   20190611_222456.jpg  
    Last edited by Brucer; 09-03-2019 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Added photos

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    You want to give KennyD your money and all your problems will go away.

Kens bolt on hooks (a site sponsor) sells the QD’s you need at a fair bit less than the dealer, just order and smile when you replace them.

Otherwise there have been a couple threads on the o-rings , search around and you’ll find the size and some sources.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to balrog006 For This Useful Post:

Brucer (09-03-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    You want to give KennyD your money and all your problems will go away.

Kens bolt on hooks (a site sponsor) sells the QD’s you need at a fair bit less than the dealer, just order and smile when you replace them.

Otherwise there have been a couple threads on the o-rings , search around and you’ll find the size and some sources.
    Thanks...yes, I need order Kenny's 3rd function diverter kit (3R UDVK) so that I can run both the chute rotation and chute tilt on the SB1174 snowblower I have my eye on so hopefully he can provide some advise on the grapple coupler issue I'm having when he gets a chance and we can get everything shipped at once if I need new parts for the grapple connection...I was probably looking the wrong place but I couldn't find the 1/4" ones that have whatever threads it is that come on the steel lines in kit BW16138, does seem a pity to be replacing 4 brand new couplers.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,135 Times in 2,578 Posts
    You can try replacing the o-ring in the female couplers, that often stops the "it leaks while connected" problems. They are #113 O-rings, 70A durometer, you might find them locally, I'd try that before replacing anything else.

Those Titan hoses are 1/2"? Wow. That could be part of the issue, this hoses are so heavy and stiff so there would be lots of side load on those couplers.

Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Brucer (09-03-2019)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    You can try replacing the o-ring in the female couplers, that often stops the "it leaks while connected" problems. They are #113 O-rings, 70A durometer, you might find them locally, I'd try that before replacing anything else.

Those Titan hoses are 1/2"? Wow. That could be part of the issue, this hoses are so heavy and stiff so there would be lots of side load on those couplers.

Awesome, thanks! I will get those o-rings and be back in touch.

Yes, the Titan grapple is pretty nice but probably a little overkill for my 3039R...I think I would do well to replace the hoses with 1/4" ones that are shorter as well...I might be wrong but I actually wonder if it would speed the grapple opening/closing speed, for as jerky as it is they aren't lightning fast and I wonder if it's because of the tiny lines on the tractor filling the huge lines on the grapple but then again once those are full of fluid after the first use I have a hunch that won't make a difference to the speed. It's not too slow anyway, I'm just impatient from having spent too much time on a S750 Skid Steer with all the power and speed a guy could ever use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190610-WA0007.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	703260

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,135 Times in 2,578 Posts
    Smaller lines will not make the grapple faster...the lines are already full so they don't need to fill up everything you operate it. It may be slow because it has two lids or it's just the geometry maybe, is this from the Titan that's a Chinese importer (pallet forks .com) or Titan implement in Tennessee?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Smaller lines will not make the grapple faster...the lines are already full so they don't need to fill up everything you operate it. It may be slow because it has two lids or it's just the geometry maybe, is this from the Titan that's a Chinese importer (pallet forks .com) or Titan implement in Tennessee?
    Yes, that makes sense. Geometry. palletforks, I would venture to say it is imported but at less than $1000 delivered it was hard to justify an American made one for the amount I will use it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-20190604-WA0000_1567545085176.jpg  

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements