Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 4044M 5 year Review/Impressions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-26-2019 @ 08:49 PM
    Thanks

4044M 5 year Review/Impressions

For those interested or considering a tractor purchase, I thought I would post a 5 year review of my 4044M.

I bought my 4044M in June of 2014. It was one of the first of the new 4 series tractors (4044, 4052, 4066) to hit dealer lots. I traded in a 3038 that I had for about a month and was not happy with. I think I just had a dud, as I had a leaky front axle where the drive shaft bolts to the axle among other things.

Currently, I have 158 hrs on the machine and have used various front and rear implements such as a bucket, pallet forks, root grapple, box blade, plugger, rotary cutter, disc plow, etc.

The only additions to the tractor are a front 3rd function hookup (for the grapple), filled rear tires, and telescoping lift arms/side links. It is a hydrostatic drive machine and it lives in an enclosed tractor shed (non-insulated or climate controlled).

Pros:

- No warranty issues at all. Nothing, zero. No leaks, nothing has broken, nothing has failed to operate. The only minor issue that I had was the nuts worked loose on the seat tracks as they are not locking nuts. A quick trip to Lowes for locking nuts cured the issue and it has not reappeared.
    - Performance. Very strong tractor. Does anything within reason that Iíve asked, including loader performance and power and traction of the tractor. No issues at all with 6í implements front or rear. The only minor issue is that it will not pull even a small hill in C (High) range at PTO RPM (2600 rpm).
    - Fuel economy. The non-turbo engine practically sips fuel. Even at PTO RPM running a 6í rotary cutter, I only use about a 1/2 tank or less during a day of use. When Iím not using the PTO, I usually operate the tractor around 1500-2000 rpm for hydraulic system response and to prevent excessive soot in the DPF system. When not using the PTO, a full day is only slightly more than a 1/4 tank.
    - Handling. I can turn this thing around in a very small space, which is ideal for working in tight areas or woods. Itís also easy to transport and doesnít require a huge rig or trailer. I have no issues with my 2500HD and double axle tilt deck trailer.
    - Ease of use. This is a very simple tractor to learn to operate and maintain. Controls are easy to use and logically placed and operation is very friendly. My 13 year old daughter was able to operate the loader and tractor safely with only a few lessons and even though it is a large machine, a first time buyer would be able to get good use out of the machine with minimal training and build confidence quickly. Itís easy to check fluids and grease the machine. Everything is easy to get to, which encourages proper maintenance.

Cons:

- Features. I feel that the tractor is short on features for the price and the brand. When I bought my tractor, you could not get a folding roll bar which is a giant inconvenience. It catches all the limbs and I had to install an extra-large door in my shed just to clear the bar. I see that new 4M models have a folding roll bar. Yíall are lucky. I donít think that you should have to upgrade to an R series for things like a plastic storage box or a decent seat.
    - Durability. Iíve knocked the fitting off the lift cylinder on the loader and bent the front grille both from branches. While the lift cylinder fitting may have been a lucky shot, I think an extra bar or plate on the front bar would have prevented the whole thing. It need not be elaborate, but I do think it needs something, especially for a loader that is not quick-detach and will most likely stay on the tractor.
    - Gearing. In a 4044, low gear (A range) is often too low, B range is too high, and C range is useless on all but paved level roads. Bigger tractors like the 4052 or 4066 may be better able to make use of B and C ranges, but I donít know.

Summary:

So far, this has been a great tractor. The Pros far outweigh the Cons and Iíve been pleased. HOWEVER, if I had it to do over, I would have bought the R tractor instead. The folding roll bar and better seat would have been worth the price, and with telescoping lift arms/stabilizers, and back up assist, hooking up implements would be very easy probably not even requiring a quick hitch which for me always seems to need adjustment of the top link. With that said, if you just need an occasional use tractor, a machine you only use a few hours at a time, or maybe a second machine or just to do a specific task, the M series is a good way to go. If this is your only tractor, if you use the tractor at least weekly, for a full day at a time, in inclement weather (snow removal), and/or use multiple implements during a single job, then I believe the upgrade to the R series is well worth it.

Recommended accessories:

- Telescoping lift arms and stabilizers. Makes hookup MUCH easier for not much money.
    - 3rd function is always nice. Never heard anyone regret buying a grapple.
    - Extra guarding for the front if you work with brush and trees (especially pines). This too is a good addition and something that I wish I would have bought very early on, but itís too late now.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to post an honest and truly long term review. I hope this helps others. Any further questions, please donít hesitate to ask.
    rtgt, OxPath, mark02tj and 4 others like this.
    2014 4044m HS
    6' BB2072 Frontier Box Blade
    AV20H Frontier Grapple
    EA Pallet Forks
    Fred Cain 6' Agri-Cutter Rotary Cutter
    EA 6' drum-style lawn plugger
    EA 7-Way 6' scrape blade
    EA 76" Angle Frame Disc Plow

Other equipment:

2012 Scag Tiger Cat 54" ZT
    1990 BMY 5-Ton M923a2 Military Truck

" I Got a Shotgun, Rifle, and a 6-WHEEL DRIVE"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vettepilot427 For This Useful Post:

Corkpuller†(09-10-2019), theduke†(09-09-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:12 AM
    Thanks
    Telescoping lift arms are not standard on the 4R - you would think they are, but they say that "Hitch Assist" makes telescoping arms not necessary

I put telescoping arms on my 4R after I bought it...

Mine is new - not sure if that is/was a running change...
    rtgt and vettepilot427 like this.
    Charleston, SC
    4044R

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 865 Posts
    [QUOTE=vettepilot427;3339052]For those interested or considering a tractor purchase, I thought I would post a 5 year review of my 4044M./QUOTE]

Hey stranger. Welcome back.
    vettepilot427 likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

vettepilot427†(09-09-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    Good review. I opted for the 4044R because I wanted the quick park loader. When I ordered the tractor and 440R FEL, I added the single point hydraulic connector. I can literally disconnect from the loader or reconnect to it in less than 30 seconds. My previous 790/300 FEL was very difficult to reconnect the fittings because it leaked down. The cam lock on the single point connects all 4 hoses at once with ease. I added the 3rd SCV, but ported on the rear for my pull implements.

The Hitch Assist is great. Whether connecting an implement to the drawbar or the I-match, itís just so simple to make the connection. The other features such as swivel seat, automotive style cruise control, load match etc are just icing on the cake.

Iíll probably never use Range C as I donít transport it on a highway. I use Range B most of the time around the yard or mowing and Range A for tilling, cultivating or discing. My dealer just delivered it in June and Iíve already got 70 hrs on it. Not one issue so far. Itís performed 2 Active Regens so far probably because Iím not working it hard enough.

I struggled with selling my 790 because it was such a good tractor, but I have to say I donít miss it a bit.
    Lee

2018 JD 4044R/440R loader, 1939 JD model B, 2016 JD X380, 2017 JD X570 mowers. JD 503 brush mower, Frontier GM1060E finish mower, Frontier WC1105 wood chipper, JD 655 tiller. Cyclone Rake XL, Cyclone Rake Nut Rake, Misc discs and cultivators.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vettepilot427 View Post
    For those interested or considering a tractor purchase, I thought I would post a 5 year review of my 4044M.

I bought my 4044M in June of 2014. It was one of the first of the new 4 series tractors (4044, 4052, 4066) to hit dealer lots. I traded in a 3038 that I had for about a month and was not happy with. I think I just had a dud, as I had a leaky front axle where the drive shaft bolts to the axle among other things.

Currently, I have 158 hrs on the machine and have used various front and rear implements such as a bucket, pallet forks, root grapple, box blade, plugger, rotary cutter, disc plow, etc.

The only additions to the tractor are a front 3rd function hookup (for the grapple), filled rear tires, and telescoping lift arms/side links. It is a hydrostatic drive machine and it lives in an enclosed tractor shed (non-insulated or climate controlled).

Pros:

- No warranty issues at all. Nothing, zero. No leaks, nothing has broken, nothing has failed to operate. The only minor issue that I had was the nuts worked loose on the seat tracks as they are not locking nuts. A quick trip to Lowes for locking nuts cured the issue and it has not reappeared.
    - Performance. Very strong tractor. Does anything within reason that Iíve asked, including loader performance and power and traction of the tractor. No issues at all with 6í implements front or rear. The only minor issue is that it will not pull even a small hill in C (High) range at PTO RPM (2600 rpm).
    - Fuel economy. The non-turbo engine practically sips fuel. Even at PTO RPM running a 6í rotary cutter, I only use about a 1/2 tank or less during a day of use. When Iím not using the PTO, I usually operate the tractor around 1500-2000 rpm for hydraulic system response and to prevent excessive soot in the DPF system. When not using the PTO, a full day is only slightly more than a 1/4 tank.
    - Handling. I can turn this thing around in a very small space, which is ideal for working in tight areas or woods. Itís also easy to transport and doesnít require a huge rig or trailer. I have no issues with my 2500HD and double axle tilt deck trailer.
    - Ease of use. This is a very simple tractor to learn to operate and maintain. Controls are easy to use and logically placed and operation is very friendly. My 13 year old daughter was able to operate the loader and tractor safely with only a few lessons and even though it is a large machine, a first time buyer would be able to get good use out of the machine with minimal training and build confidence quickly. Itís easy to check fluids and grease the machine. Everything is easy to get to, which encourages proper maintenance.

Cons:

- Features. I feel that the tractor is short on features for the price and the brand. When I bought my tractor, you could not get a folding roll bar which is a giant inconvenience. It catches all the limbs and I had to install an extra-large door in my shed just to clear the bar. I see that new 4M models have a folding roll bar. Yíall are lucky. I donít think that you should have to upgrade to an R series for things like a plastic storage box or a decent seat.
    - Durability. Iíve knocked the fitting off the lift cylinder on the loader and bent the front grille both from branches. While the lift cylinder fitting may have been a lucky shot, I think an extra bar or plate on the front bar would have prevented the whole thing. It need not be elaborate, but I do think it needs something, especially for a loader that is not quick-detach and will most likely stay on the tractor.
    - Gearing. In a 4044, low gear (A range) is often too low, B range is too high, and C range is useless on all but paved level roads. Bigger tractors like the 4052 or 4066 may be better able to make use of B and C ranges, but I donít know.

Summary:

So far, this has been a great tractor. The Pros far outweigh the Cons and Iíve been pleased. HOWEVER, if I had it to do over, I would have bought the R tractor instead. The folding roll bar and better seat would have been worth the price, and with telescoping lift arms/stabilizers, and back up assist, hooking up implements would be very easy probably not even requiring a quick hitch which for me always seems to need adjustment of the top link. With that said, if you just need an occasional use tractor, a machine you only use a few hours at a time, or maybe a second machine or just to do a specific task, the M series is a good way to go. If this is your only tractor, if you use the tractor at least weekly, for a full day at a time, in inclement weather (snow removal), and/or use multiple implements during a single job, then I believe the upgrade to the R series is well worth it.

Recommended accessories:

- Telescoping lift arms and stabilizers. Makes hookup MUCH easier for not much money.
    - 3rd function is always nice. Never heard anyone regret buying a grapple.
    - Extra guarding for the front if you work with brush and trees (especially pines). This too is a good addition and something that I wish I would have bought very early on, but itís too late now.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to post an honest and truly long term review. I hope this helps others. Any further questions, please donít hesitate to ask.

Re lack of power on the 4044, remember that a 4066 has 50% more rated HP than the 4044. I have no problems pulling hills in C range with my 4066R and have a video posted on YouTube about it since some others seem to have this problem. As somebody else mentioned, telescoping lift arms are not available on the 4 series at all. Hitch assist on the R series renders this as a moot point. There are accessories that you might be interested in to alleviate this problem such as Pats easy hitch. You can search GTT as these have been mentioned a lot recently.

I seldom use A range, but do use B range for 90% of my work. C range works fine for me on the road/hills. I think the turbo makes the biggest difference. I suspect the 4066 is pretty much like the 4044 unless you need the extra power and then, the turbo kicks in. Mowing my yard with my 110 inch RFM does not kick in the turbo, therefore fuel economy is great. However, mowing the tall stuff with my 10ft brush hog is another story.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback on the post and experiences with your own equipment. I would have been sure that the 4066 would not have been a big seller, and I would have been wrong.

Iím actually thinking of upgrading to a 4066R maybe next year but Iím unsure about that level of power in a CUT. Iím worried about damage to implements as well as failure of the tractor. Not sure if Iím just really safe with the 4044M or the 4066 is pushing the platform.

Havenít heard of a lot of issues with the 66hp machines, so I would assume that they are proven.

Agree that Hitch Assist would make the telescoping arms moot, but itís still nice to have. Iím really used to the telescoping arms now and honestly donít know how I got along without them.

I do have a permanent knot on one shin from dropping the scrape blade off the quick hitch along with a FINE cheese grater-like wound (I have pics). I have slowly but surely started to hate my quick hitch.

Thank you especially for the ĎWelcome BackĒ.
    rtgt likes this.
    2014 4044m HS
    AV20H Frontier Grapple
    EA Pallet Forks
    EA 7-Way 6' scrape blade

Other equipment:

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    I wonder how you would have liked the 4044 with the gear transmission? Probably not as much for loader work but i wonder if it has a better gear for implement work.
    vettepilot427 likes this.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vettepilot427 View Post
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback on the post and experiences with your own equipment. I would have been sure that the 4066 would not have been a big seller, and I would have been wrong.

I’m actually thinking of upgrading to a 4066R maybe next year but I’m unsure about that level of power in a CUT. I’m worried about damage to implements as well as failure of the tractor. Not sure if I’m just really safe with the 4044M or the 4066 is pushing the platform.

Haven’t heard of a lot of issues with the 66hp machines, so I would assume that they are proven.

Agree that Hitch Assist would make the telescoping arms moot, but it’s still nice to have. I’m really used to the telescoping arms now and honestly don’t know how I got along without them.

I do have a permanent knot on one shin from dropping the scrape blade off the quick hitch along with a FINE cheese grater-like wound (I have pics). I have slowly but surely started to hate my quick hitch.

Thank you especially for the ‘Welcome Back”.

The extra power is sure nice to have. It let's me run much bigger implements such as my 10ft brush hog. As long as you make sure you have the proper implements/attachments, damage will not be an issue. That brush hog can handle a lot more power than I can throw at it. Honestly, my 4066R has more HP than a CUT ought to have, but it sure is nice to have. There is not much need to have any thing bigger than a 4066R for most of us, unless you are a full time farmer. BTW, I have 638 hours on my 2014 4066R and it has been rock solid.

Dave
    rtgt, vettepilot427 and JDLTG like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ddinham For This Useful Post:

vettepilot427†(09-09-2019)

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJgrn78 View Post
    I wonder how you would have liked the 4044 with the gear transmission? Probably not as much for loader work but i wonder if it has a better gear for implement work.
    Iíve thought about the gear transmission. I drove one around the dealer lot and it was really easy to drive, especially with the power reverser. Hard to beat the convenience of that hydrostat though. I think the resale would be better on the hydrostat also.
    JDLTG likes this.
    2014 4044m HS
    AV20H Frontier Grapple
    EA Pallet Forks
    EA 7-Way 6' scrape blade

Other equipment:

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    The extra power is sure nice to have. It let's me run much bigger implements such as my 10ft brush hog. As long as you make sure you have the proper implements/attachments, damage will not be an issue. That brush hog can handle a lot more power than I can throw at it. Honestly, my 4066R has more HP than a CUT ought to have, but it sure is nice to have. There is not much need to have any thing bigger than a 4066R for most of us, unless you are a full time farmer. BTW, I have 638 hours on my 2014 4066R and it has been rock solid.

Dave
    Thank you for that feedback and your experience. A lot of folks could make a good argument for a 5-series tractor in that price range and hp, but the reason I want to stay with a CUT is maneuverability in tight spaces and ease of transport. Itís about 2 hrs interstate travel to our land lease and I make several trips per year. I also use this around the house for yard work and a smaller tractor (compared to the 5 series) is convenient and the R4 tires are not hard on the yard.
    ttazzman likes this.
    2014 4044m HS
    AV20H Frontier Grapple
    EA Pallet Forks
    EA 7-Way 6' scrape blade

Other equipment: