Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: trade in or not 3033r

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks

trade in or not 3033r

I have been a lurker for a long time. I have a 2015 3033r and have been pretty satisfied. I would like a little more lift when moving gravel. Can fill bucket but would ideally like easier operation. I have 40 acres, hilly with lots of down trees to deal with. Also do snow removal and general road work. Considering going to 3046r, adding a backhoe, top n tilt and 3rd scv for grapple. 0% 84 months makes payment difference about $100. Do not really want to go to 4044, adds about 5k and I think i would like the nimble 3046r. i think I can make the backhoe work for about 85% of what a small excavator would used for. Probably rent a medium Excavator once a year.

Is there a noticeable power difference?
    Backhoe worth it?
    Happy with 3046r?
    Am i crazy to make this move?

Thanks for all the help, would appreciate any input, including ridicule.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    I don't think you're going to gain any additional lift capacity moving up from a 3033R to a 3046R. They both use the same loader. If lift capacity is your primary concern then I'd recommend against the 3046R.

I'd recommend a 4 or 5 series with a mechanical self-leveling loader and 485A backhoe which would be a significant upgrade but then again.......

https://www.deere.com/en/loaders/loader_compatibility/
    fdmars, OxPath, sennister and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:44 PM
    Thanks
    Your lift will be the same, despite the horsepower. The only thing you are going to gain is the ability to run larger implements. For example, a larger brush hog or mower. Maybe the ability to pull a larger box blade or rear blade, maybe. That’s depends a lot on the weight of the tractor also. I definitely think that 100 dollars more a month for just a horsepower increase would be wasted. Go with a larger tractor or stay put.
    fdmars, OxPath and PJR832 like this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:10 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks

Northwest ..where..??....Idaho or Montanna is way different than OR or WA

I'm in the camp of skip the BH...thats a big chunk towards a mini/mid size excavater.

If you think you need a bigger tractor get one...buying HP in the same frame/series 3 will be disappointing.

Go 4 series and turbo. Cab may be way better money spent than BH depending on location.
    Last edited by theduke; 09-14-2019 at 11:05 PM.
    OxPath likes this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    Once you use a 4 Series for an hour,, you will leave the 3 Series quickly,,
    The 4 will be much more stable doing the loader work,,

I would get the 4 Series, but, no backhoe,,,
    A 4 Series without a backhoe will be MUCH more agile than a 3 Series with a backhoe,
    Eliminating the backhoe should get the 4 Series pricing close to the 3 Series with the backhoe,
    rent the excavator,,
    OxPath, BigJim55, mark02tj and 2 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    I have same tractor in a 2018 with 43 - 16.00 - 20 R4's. I have top and tilt and all hydraulics available including Power Beyond, 320R loader, Heavy 6' bucket and I run Rimguard with 750# on the heavy

hitch. It will pick up a heaping full bucket of gravel and it does fine.

When I bought mine a year ago I went with the 33R as lift capacity is identical, weight of tractor is identical and I did not need more PTO power.

Do I wish I went 4 series, maybe but everything gets higher priced including attachments as the tractor is wider.

Only thing I would do different is get a backhoe. We got big rocks to dig...

Backhoes are a Luxury on these unless you are using it for a business. I make payments on the tractor @ zero percent. On a backhoe it's hard for me to justify.

Good luck on your choice.
    3033R, JD Top and Tilt, Rim Guard, IMatch, 3rd SCV, 4th and 5th remotes, Power Beyond, 3rd function on FEL, Auxiliary lights, Heavy Hitch w/ 16 - 42# weights, 320R FEL, 73" heavy bucket with bolt on blade, JD 60" material bucket, JD Pallet Forks, BB2566 Land Pride Box Blade, GS 1572 Land Pride Land Plane, 5' King Kutter Brush Hog, 7' King Kutter land scrape rake and EA 60" single lid grapple. 2-930M ZTracs w/54" and 2-345 w/54" and 519 carts. 620-I Camo Gator w/All Hydraulic Plow.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooksjt View Post
    I have been a lurker for a long time. I have a 2015 3033r and have been pretty satisfied. I would like a little more lift when moving gravel. Can fill bucket but would ideally like easier operation. I have 40 acres, hilly with lots of down trees to deal with. Also do snow removal and general road work. Considering going to 3046r, adding a backhoe, top n tilt and 3rd scv for grapple. 0% 84 months makes payment difference about $100. Do not really want to go to 4044, adds about 5k and I think i would like the nimble 3046r. i think I can make the backhoe work for about 85% of what a small excavator would used for. Probably rent a medium Excavator once a year.

Is there a noticeable power difference?
    Backhoe worth it?
    Happy with 3046r?
    Am i crazy to make this move?

Thanks for all the help, would appreciate any input, including ridicule.

Thanks
    What loader do you currently have? H160 or H165? I would compare the spec's of your loader to the new 320 loader that the 3 series now uses. It is possible that you might gain some capacity. I have the H160 on my 3039R and can fill & lift a full bucket load no problem.

Which loader bucket do you have? I am using a 61" bucket.

I don't understand the comment "Can fill bucket but would ideally like easier operation." Please explain.

The FEL performance will be the same for the 33, 39 & 46. The HP difference will show up on PTO driven implements and as power to move heavier loads on your hills. If the 33 is doing fine power wise in those respects, then you are not going to see any benefit buying more HP. You could lower your payment some if you don't need to spend the money on the 46.

I sounds like you want to add the 3rd SCV and a backhoe. I can understand the trade and 0% financing to upgrade to a backhoe. I have the 375A backhoe and it works really well. You can also get the 385A for the 3R series and it has a little more reach and more capacity. In my experience, the 375A works very well on the 3 series. I would want a heavier framed tractor for the 385A backhoe.

If you have lots of trees to clear, you'll love having a grapple.

What other implements do you have? Going to the 4 series may also require wider implements such as grader blades, box blades, rotary cutters, etc. Same with the snow removal equipment.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Thanks
    Here is Deere's FEL specsheet: Loaders | Front End Loaders | John Deere US

I will chime in on the 3 -> 4 series
    going up in 3 series may get you a tiny amount of lift, but if you lose 8" of height as well.
    4 series lifts from 18-28" higher and has DOUBLE the carrying/lifting capability (One of the main reason I got a 4 instead of a 3)

485A backhoe is close to 11,000 option. You can find a used mini for less (Albeit not at 0% interest)
    Charleston, SC
    4044R

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    I don't think you're going to gain any additional lift capacity moving up from a 3033R to a 3046R. They both use the same loader. If lift capacity is your primary concern then I'd recommend against the 3046R.

I'd recommend a 4 or 5 series with a mechanical self-leveling loader and 485A backhoe which would be a significant upgrade but then again.......

https://www.deere.com/en/loaders/loader_compatibility/
    I haven't seen that comparison page for the FELs before. Thanks.

I agree with the others, evaluate what your needs are. If it is more lifting capability you need to go up a series rather than up an engine. As they say time is money. It will cost more to go up a series or take smaller bites and use more time.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 01:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    I sounds like you want to add the 3rd SCV and a backhoe. I can understand the trade and 0% financing to upgrade to a backhoe. I have the 375A backhoe and it works really well. You can also get the 385A for the 3R series and it has a little more reach and more capacity. In my experience, the 375A works very well on the 3 series. I would want a heavier framed tractor for the 385A backhoe.
    OP did not state whether he has a cab or is going to get one if he trades?

So, I will address the quote first. The 375A and 385A backhoes will both fit on the open station 3R series. The 375A is the only backhoe that can be installed on a 3R with a cab.

Now to OP. If you were thinking of getting a cab or that was part of the motivation to trade, get the 3046R; A/C compressor eats up a bit of HP, you'll want the extra HP if you have a cab.

Jeff
    2018 3046R - Deluxe Cab, air ride seat, R4 tires, 3rd ESCV, diverter valve with 4th and 5th SCV's, mid PTO, 72D autoconnect MMM with independent lift, power beyond, 375A backhoe, 320R loader with 3rd function lines, L&R external mirrors, Frontier 60" 4 in 1 bucket and factory stereo with dedicated Sirius tuner.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast