Looking at Low Hour 3720 vs 3046R?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Looking at Low Hour 3720 vs 3046R?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-03-2019 @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks

Looking at Low Hour 3720 vs 3046R?

Good Morning.

I currently have a 2006 3520 with 1700 hours currently that I bought used (1200 hours when bought). It has a WR Long 4N1 bucket on the front that I really like and use extensively.

I have 12 acres in SC (yeah, hot down here) with 8 acres or so hay fields and the rest "under construction" including a just finished new house and shed/workshop.

If I had known how much I would end up liking the 3520 I would have found/bought one a bit newer with less hours and wouldn't be thinking about trading in/up.

1) I am 60+ and plan that this will be the last LCUT tractor I buy.
    2) I turn my own wrenches and don't mind working on stuff as long as it isn't every time I want to use the D--- thing.
    3) The 3520 has/is serving me well and I don't "need" to change, but who doesn't like new (to me) stuff?
    4) If I buy another, I might as well go to the 3720/3046 for the extra HP while tilling, mowing fields etc.
    5) I have an old JD 210 backhoe that I bought just to do the heavy clearing and plan to sell, especially if I get a BH attachment with/for the new tractor.
    6) I don't have any experience with Tier4/DPF but it doesn't scare me other than having one more "technical" system that can break, especially long term.

What I would like to understand is the pros and cons of a low hour (~500) 3720 vs 3046R? No Cab, Loader, possibly BH.

They seem "similarly" priced for similarly equipped, hours, condition.

It would be great to hear from anybody that has owned both 3720 and 3046R and first hand +/- of each.

Thanks in advance.
    Del

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,089 Times in 2,254 Posts
    I am also about the same age and have the same attitude - what I buy now is the last.

So if you like your current tractor setup why buy another? 1700 hours on these machines is nothing to be afraid of especially since you know it putting the last 500 hours on it. Yeah, maybe some little nickel/dime stuff here and there but you did say you like wrenching on them.....

Buying another used tractor could possibly put you into someone elseís problem child.

I have a 12 year old 2520 that is the perfect size for me and my property. This is my last machine although I didnít think that when I bought it.
    arlen, BigJim55, mark02tj and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Thanks
    I would have to agree with Coaltrain. 1700 hours is nothing on a tractor. I bought mine used, 3000 hours and 2500 hours.

Also you are not changing "frame size" only adding a few more HP so not much gain.

The pros: Newer, less hours, more HP

The cons: May be buying someone's problems, cost, a tractor to sell or trade, the 3520
    mark02tj likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I would have to agree with Coaltrain. 1700 hours is nothing on a tractor. I bought mine used, 3000 hours and 2500 hours.

Also you are not changing "frame size" only adding a few more HP so not much gain.

The pros: Newer, less hours, more HP

The cons: May be buying someone's problems, cost, a tractor to sell or trade, the 3520
    Good logic and I (and probably my bride if she knew what I was up to) would agree with you and Coaltrain.

I was hoping to find one with a backhoe and then I could sell off the old 210 BH sooner rather than later. If people think Green parts are expensive they should try the JD yellow ones.

Again, logic says I wouldn't use the backhoe enough to justify the increase in cost, but it is sure nice having one available. Once you have one it seems harder to do without.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by delsnyder View Post
    Good logic and I (and probably my bride if she knew what I was up to) would agree with you and Coaltrain.

I was hoping to find one with a backhoe and then I could sell off the old 210 BH sooner rather than later. If people think Green parts are expensive they should try the JD yellow ones.

Again, logic says I wouldn't use the backhoe enough to justify the increase in cost, but it is sure nice having one available. Once you have one it seems harder to do without.
    Iíve never had a backhoe but have done fine without. Weíve lived at this place for 22 years now - there have been a couple times I could have used one but got by doing it another way.

But for some reason I now want one. As I said earlier I donít want a different or new tractor. Mine has been bullet proof. But now trying to find a backhoe is proving difficult. I did find one last week but it is 1450 miles away in Nebraska - just canít commit the $6k plus probably close to $1k shipping.

There are a lot of people on this forum - especially 1 series owners - who seem to quickly trade in their 2 or 3 year old tractor for a new one. Sometimes itís for a backhoe that they didnít get originally. Rolling the cost into a new 0% purchase makes it seem so easy I guess. But I am at the point in my life where I refuse to have payments again. Been there/done that most of my life.

So here I sit without a backhoe mostly because of my stubbornness.....
    Zebrafive likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Thanks
    If your gonna use it much (mowing?), and really want to trade, a cab would change your life..... it changed mine...
    Jet Dr. likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    So here I sit without a backhoe mostly because of my stubbornness.....
    stubbornness is good
    you don't need no stinkin backhoe, you have already proved it.

Now me, I need a backhoe.
    Well, make that, I want a backhoe, but not for no 1 series.
    BigJim55 and coaltrain like this.
    2014 1025R, 120R loader

"ain't too smart, but I'm always thinkin"

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by delsnyder View Post
    Good Morning.

1) I am 60+ and plan that this will be the last LCUT tractor I buy.

Del
    Del, I can't help you as far as any experience with the mentioned machines but the above statement tells me you'd like a new tractor.
    Like Mama says, if it makes yer heart happy, do it.

However, I think you'll be more satisfied keeping your dedicated hoe and forget about a put on, take off, job for a tractor.
    2014 1025R, 120R loader

"ain't too smart, but I'm always thinkin"

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    Del, I can't help you as far as any experience with the mentioned machines but the above statement tells me you'd like a new tractor.
    Like Mama says, if it makes yer heart happy, do it.

However, I think you'll be more satisfied keeping your dedicated hoe and forget about a put on, take off, job for a tractor.

Hadn't given the "now I have to take off the "X" and put on the BH to dig a one scoop hole" issue much thought.

As I ponder this......I leave the loader on more than I should (bush hog, mowing) since the tractor handles it well and I am always "moving something unexpectedly" with it while the tractor is out.

The BH I bought is old and worn, not quite worn out, but I don't need anything that big anymore and I hate the thought of one day it will just stop moving.

Seems like we always get in these predicaments. Not enough toys, oops I mean required equipment, to do what we want and then after we get too many "motors" around it's time to cull the herd.
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    For myself - if I get a backhoe for my 2520 it will become a dedicated tractor/loader/backhoe. No more mowing or brush hogging with it as it is not nearly as user friendly to install and remove like the newer models.

Of course that would mean a new dedicated mowing machine. One thing leads to another.....

When I bought my 2520 new back some 12 years the salesman asked me a couple times if I was sure I didnít want a backhoe. At that time I was an equipment operator for the state - was running full size backhoe, loader, excavator, etc. Looking at the backhoe on another 2520 on the lot - I thought what a joke it was - like a little toy.

I feel a bit differently now as digging anything by hand is long gone....
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast