Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Problem Installing/Removing 485A

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks

Problem Installing/Removing 485A

I cannot get the 3pt hitch to go low enough for the crossbar assembly to engage or disengage the backhoe slot. I know I could adjust both lift links to lower the crossbar but donít think I should have to since the 485A is made for the 4 Series and there is nothing in the 485A manual about adjusting both lift links.

Is there any way to adjust the lower limit of the rockshaft travel?
    4052R Cab w/485A BH

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Thanks
    Is this the first time you've uninstalled it? If so than I suspect the dealer may have installed the backhoe while it was sitting on something that raised it up off the ground a bit. Once the top lift arms go down all the way than the only adjustment left is the vertical links connected to the lower lift arms. It's actually a common occurrence that new owners have run across on the new R series tractors, at least from what I've seen. Even on my 3039r I needed to adjust the vertical links because the lower arms wouldn't go as low as my old 3320. Adjusted and they work just the same It's nothing that the 485A being made for the 4R tractors could prevent, it's just a common side effect that could be experienced with any attachments that isn't allowed to lower far enough to the ground.

Rick
    2017 JD X758 54HC deck, 54" front blade, Reugg Cat1 3pt, & Front Fenders
    2018 JD 3039r Deluxe Cab w/ Air Ride Seat & Mid PTO; 320r Loader w/ HD bucket, 3rd function, & BoltOn Hooks & Receiver; 375A backhoe w/ 18" & 9" buckets; 72D deck; Horst Forks; Ballast Box; Landpride FDR 2584; ProWorks Tree Puller; EA 55" Wicked Grapple

FS: 72D autoconnect deck setup for 3r tractors

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WH401 For This Useful Post:

skivy44†(10-30-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Rick. Yes it did occur the first time I tried to remove it. Not sure how the dealer installed it prior to delivery. Also wasn't aware that this is a common occurance on the new R series tractors. For now I have the BH sitting on some 2 1/2 inch thick blocks so I can remove and install it. Contacted the dealer and they will be sending out a tech to take a look.

It may be that adjusting the lift links is the only solution but that just doesn't seem right. For now my question still remains, is there any possible adjustment to the rockshaft mechanism, other than adjusting the lift links, to make the 3 pt travel lower? Also, are there any 4 series owners out there with a 485A BH who have run across this situation?
    4052R Cab w/485A BH

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Thanks
    I wouldn’t so much say it’s an issue or even a design flaw with the R series tractors. I think it’s more just the way they’re designed, and knowing that the vertical lift links can be adjusted to lower the lower arms. If you watch the upper lift arms as they go down you should see them pivot all the way down as far as they’ll go, almost bottom out I guess you could say. You could unhook the vertical links to verify the travel of the upper arms isn’t being inhibited. But otherwise, that’s why there’s no adjustment for the hydraulics. Basically there’s no travel left for those upper arms, so adjusting the vertical links for the lower arms is likely the only option.

Rick
    2017 JD X758 54HC deck, 54" front blade, Reugg Cat1 3pt, & Front Fenders
    2018 JD 3039r Deluxe Cab w/ Air Ride Seat & Mid PTO; 320r Loader w/ HD bucket, 3rd function, & BoltOn Hooks & Receiver; 375A backhoe w/ 18" & 9" buckets; 72D deck; Horst Forks; Ballast Box; Landpride FDR 2584; ProWorks Tree Puller; EA 55" Wicked Grapple

FS: 72D autoconnect deck setup for 3r tractors

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,134 Times in 2,577 Posts
    I don't understand the reluctance to adjust the lift arms a few turns?
    WH401, ChrisR, rtgt and 1 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I don't understand the reluctance to adjust the lift arms a few turns?

The lift arms on my 3039R are adjusted to allow me to put the 375A on the ground. Actually I have to raise the arms just a tad as the bar goes into the guide slot.

Even as low as they are adjusted, I can lift my box blade plenty high enough to be able to go up my trailer ramps without dragging the blade.
    WH401 and Old Cajun like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks
    All,

Mine was adjusted fairly well. I think the next time I remove it I will need to tweak the right link adjustment to shorten it just a bit as I had to rock it and have an "assistant" (Wifey) push the pin in. Left one went right in.
    However, What I found out is the "Park" pinned position does not allow you to remove the backhoe without the outriggers down. Apparently the bucket needs to be "parallel" with the dipperstick in order to make contact with the ground. Otherwise, the front end of the backhoe tilts up and stays engaged with the sub-frame hooks.

Jeff
    2018 3046R - Deluxe Cab, air ride seat, R4 tires, 3rd ESCV, diverter valve with 4th and 5th SCV's, mid PTO, 72D autoconnect MMM with independent lift, power beyond, 375A backhoe, 320R loader with 3rd function lines, L&R external mirrors, Frontier 60" 4 in 1 bucket and factory stereo with dedicated Sirius tuner.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Finally had time to try my box blade, ballast box and rotary cutter on the 3 pt hitch. Like with the backhoe, the 3 pt would not go low enough to attach any of them without extending both lift links about 2 inches. Everything works so Iím ok with it for now. When I hear back from the dealer who raised the issue with JD Iíll post any info I receive. Thanks for the inputs I did get from the forum.
    rtgt likes this.
    4052R Cab w/485A BH

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skivy44 View Post
    Finally had time to try my box blade, ballast box and rotary cutter on the 3 pt hitch. Like with the backhoe, the 3 pt would not go low enough to attach any of them without extending both lift links about 2 inches. Everything works so Iím ok with it for now. When I hear back from the dealer who raised the issue with JD Iíll post any info I receive. Thanks for the inputs I did get from the forum.
    Two silly questions:

Have you tried adjusting the rate of drop? It should go all the way down with weight on it, so I really don't think that is the issue.

Next, Is your position limiting lock on the 3pt. lever adjusted to allow the lever to go all the way down?

Jeff
    2018 3046R - Deluxe Cab, air ride seat, R4 tires, 3rd ESCV, diverter valve with 4th and 5th SCV's, mid PTO, 72D autoconnect MMM with independent lift, power beyond, 375A backhoe, 320R loader with 3rd function lines, L&R external mirrors, Frontier 60" 4 in 1 bucket and factory stereo with dedicated Sirius tuner.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Any questions, comments or suggestions are appreciated.

I did try adjusting the rate of drop through itís full range with no change to how low the 3pt would go.

The rock shaft lever stop is full forward so not a factor.
    4052R Cab w/485A BH

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast