Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Shopping advice for 3025E package

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Thanks

Shopping advice for 3025E package

I've decided that I'm going to buy a 2019 JD 3025E with loader, box blade, rotary cutter, and trailer to help keep up two properties that I own. I don't live on either property, and don't have a barn or safe storage on either so I will have to be trailering the rig back and forth to my home for the time being.

So, perhaps mistakenly, I set out looking for the best deal the same way that I've always bought a new car or truck - I look for the best price I can find and if a dealer in another city is cheaper, I'll drive over there and buy it. I found a JD dealer about 130 mi away that had the best price by far, but when I explained the situation they said that certain discounts/promotions were only available in their AOR, or "Area of Responsibility." They were $3000 cheaper than my local dealer to begin with, but after finding out that I was out of their AOR their price went up $1500.

OK, I see now... they have protected territories much like other businesses do, but that had never occurred to me before now.

I've never bought a new tractor from a dealer - everything I've had any experience with has been much older. I learned to drive a tractor on a 1948 Ford 8N... And I even worked for a John Deere dealer in the 80s, but that's another story.

So do y'all have any advice about getting the best deal on a new tractor from a dealer that might help me avoid future mistakes? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I've decided that I'm going to buy a 2019 JD 3025E with loader, box blade, rotary cutter, and trailer to help keep up two properties that I own. I don't live on either property, and don't have a barn or safe storage on either so I will have to be trailering the rig back and forth to my home for the time being.

So, perhaps mistakenly, I set out looking for the best deal the same way that I've always bought a new car or truck - I look for the best price I can find and if a dealer in another city is cheaper, I'll drive over there and buy it. I found a JD dealer about 130 mi away that had the best price by far, but when I explained the situation they said that certain discounts/promotions were only available in their AOR, or "Area of Responsibility." They were $3000 cheaper than my local dealer to begin with, but after finding out that I was out of their AOR their price went up $1500.

OK, I see now... they have protected territories much like other businesses do, but that had never occurred to me before now.

I've never bought a new tractor from a dealer - everything I've had any experience with has been much older. I learned to drive a tractor on a 1948 Ford 8N... And I even worked for a John Deere dealer in the 80s, but that's another story.

So do y'all have any advice about getting the best deal on a new tractor from a dealer that might help me avoid future mistakes? Thanks!
    Didn't read your post. All I saw was your email address as your user name. Contact an administrator to change your user name. If you don't, you will be spammed by everybody and their mother.

Welcome from central Ohio
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks. Not my first forum but I didn't really realize what I'd done until it had happened. Working on getting it changed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Thanks
    Personally I would work with a close dealer, build a relationship with them and see if they can match the pricing. Just be upfront and let them know you would love to give them your business but every dollar matters, let them decide if they want you as a customer. Now that said be reasonable and at least try to match what the other dealer is doing or offering you. If the dealers that are local suck that isn’t good for future service.

Also I might work a deal on a trailer locally separate from the dealer. Also you can get implements from tractor supply etc, all you have to get is the loader on the tractor. Also I would request that whoever you buy from load the tires with rim guard for free.
    Last edited by tdhanses; 11-26-2019 at 09:41 PM.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yep, I haven't gone back and tried to get the local dealer to price match yet, I just got sort of a "there it is, you can buy it if you want to" vibe from the first encounter with them.

And I know I can buy implements elsewhere, it's just a combination of convenience and kind of like the insurance commercial, "the more you bundle the more you save."

I guess I was just a little sheepish realizing too late that John Deere dealers don't operate like car dealers. I probably should have known that, but.... hindsight is 20-20.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I think you pay a premium for the frontier name.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tdhanses View Post
    I think you pay a premium for the frontier name.
    I got a great deal on a BB2072 box blade, AP10F forks, and AV20H grapple when I bought my tractor. They do have some bundles where if you buy a couple Frontier attachments they'll knock some off the attachments. I agree there are cheaper options at Tractor Supply of comparable quality, but you can't get them at 0%/60m rolled into a tractor package.
    Busman and Zrexxer like this.
    2019 JD 3039R Cab, 320R Loader, BB2072 Box Blade, AP10F Forks, BH15 Bush Hog, 3rd SCV + lines, AV20H Grapple, JD Ballast Box, I-Match
    2018 JD X570, 48" AccelDeep Deck, Deluxe Brush Guard

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Thanks
    I would be very leery of buying a package deal with a trailer. Look closely at the trailer they are offering and whether it's the right length, has brakes on both axles, quality of construction etc. Often times I have seen a dealer include a trailer that is about two feet too short, only has brakes on one axle etc. You may want to source that separate. Since you are in Texas I don't think you can swing a dead cat without hitting a trailer dealer, at that was my experience when I lived in the Fort Worth area.

If you can hold off usually in March or April JD puts the 3 series on sale and knocks the price off a couple of grand or really cuts the price on implements. Yes, a lot of JD dealers have the take it or leave it attitude. Unfortunate that they are like that but some of these dealers are more worried about selling a combine for a couple hundred grand vs a 20K compact tractor. The margin on their smaller stuff just doesn't have a lot of give is my guess.

I would do a search through Machinefinder.com that's JD's used tractor website. Sometimes you see new stuff on there. You might be able to get it shipped to your dealer or simply make the drive. You will also see gently used equipment with warranties still on it that might make for a better deal. JD will finance it but not at the 0% you can get on new equipment.
    Busman and Zrexxer like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    I would be very leery of buying a package deal with a trailer. Look closely at the trailer they are offering and whether it's the right length, has brakes on both axles, quality of construction etc. Often times I have seen a dealer include a trailer that is about two feet too short, only has brakes on one axle etc.
    Yep, all the packages are advertised with 16 ft trailers to try to meet a price point, which are too short. The quotes I'm getting are for 20 foot pipe- or tube-top trailers with a 10,000 GVW.

If you can hold off usually in March or April JD puts the 3 series on sale and knocks the price off a couple of grand or really cuts the price on implements.
    Now that's the kind of tip that really helps. I had no idea that they had promotions on these in the spring. I kind of assumed that the off-season would be the best time to buy.

Yes, a lot of JD dealers have the take it or leave it attitude. Unfortunate that they are like that but some of these dealers are more worried about selling a combine for a couple hundred grand vs a 20K compact tractor. The margin on their smaller stuff just doesn't have a lot of give is my guess.
    And yet most of these dealers have 15-20 3-series tractors on their lots... so it sure seems like that must be a valuable market to them... who knows?

Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by Zrexxer; 11-28-2019 at 10:32 PM.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Just be aware, buying a tractor isn’t like a car, you wont get “year” discounts and you won’t know the year unless you personally look at the serial number. So just an FYI... you could ge the same price on a 2018 as a 2020, dealer and JD don’t care as they are the same to them.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast