Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Third Function

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-24-2011 @ 06:21 PM
    Thanks

Third Function

I have a John Deere 4600 Tractor with the 460 FEL. I need a third set of hydraulics for a grapple bucket. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Thanks
    Welcome to DT Doc.

I suggest you check www.jdparts.com for the kit number for your loader. If the kit is still available, it will be cheaper than piecing it together. Kits are considered whole goods by Deere, and as such are sold through sales, not parts.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

Welcome to DT!

You have three basic options:

1) The Third SCV kit from JD (Like Matt-MJNCAD suggested) and running long 1/4" hoses from the rear. This would probably be the cheapest option at about $250-$300.

2) A "diverter" setup where you divert the dump/curl circuit to power the grapple when a momentary switch is pressed. This is the same setup I currently have-and I put it together myself.

3) A "True 3rd Function", where the main hydraulic lines (called Power Beyond) are plumbed through a electric solenoid valve to give independent control of the grapple.

There is a company called WR Long: http://www.wrlonginc.com/valve_kits.htm that will sell both the later options as a "kit" so you don't have to source all the parts yourself, that can be a real PITA if you have no experience with hydraulics and what all the different fittings are called.

Pick one option you like and we will discuss it in greater detail.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Kenny,

Thanks for your help, When I check with my local dealer, I was told that there was no kit available and that I would just have to run hoses from the back of my tractor. Perhaps you can give me some guidance as to the way you outfitted yours. I would like to be able to use my loader joystick to run the grapple as well. I have looked into a Fasse valve. They offer a kit to do exactly what I am wanting to do but it is $650.00. I am not oppesed to going this route, I just thought I could do it cheaper. give me your thoughts

Dave

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Dave, The Fasse kit is not unlike the kit from WR Long that I pointed you towards earlier. The simple fact is anything to do with hydraulics is expensive-except O-rings and my advice. The WR Long kit sells for about the same as the Fasse.

You can save some $$$ putting a kit together yourself, but not much. A few wrong fitting orders because you unsure of them and you've blown all your savings in shipping cost's. Then there is the time...and having to source parts from different vendors...and so on...

I used a "diverter" valve, it was $150 or so at the time just for the valve. Add in hoses, fittings and QD's for another $200 or so.
    Then I bought a custom joystick handle to control it and also added a horn for about $220, had to turn my own custom adapter on my lathe also. Then add in relay's, wire, fuses...another $50 or so.

So you can see, not even counting my time including all the research I would have been better off with a kit. But, it was what I wanted to do-and it taught me LOTS about hydraulics, and I have a whole box of part$ in the basement that I will probably never use to remind me of all the mistakes I made along the way. I am not tying to discourage you, I just want you to know everything up front.

What grapple did you buy?
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Ken, I am going to order the "kit" tomorrow. As far as the Grapple, I ordered a 60" Grapple and a set of pallet forks from Wildcat Attachments.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Nice! Please post some pictures...did you get the JDQA from them or do you have the SSQA on your machine?
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I ordered both with the JD QA. No extra charge. "Connie" is the lady that I talked with. Very helpful.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Thanks
    Doc:

Kenny is the resident hydraulics guru and has given you good advice. I'll add the following comments.

When the dealer said no kit was available. Did he check his stock only, or did he search nationwide? Dealers can search other dealers stock.

Instead of a Faase brand valve, this one from Surplus Center will do the same thing for far less money. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...name=hydraulic
    I have more ideas than ambition.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post

Instead of a Faase brand valve, this one from Surplus Center will do the same thing for far less money. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...name=hydraulic
    Yes, but that is just the valve. The Fasse and WR Long option are true kits where just about everything is included.

Thank you for the "guru" title
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast