Water in diesel? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Water in diesel?

1. Top | #11
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks

Arrrgh!

Okay, tractor ran fine for over an hour yesterday(Friday). Saturday the tractor ran out of fuel again under heavy load. This would seem like the fuel pump is right on the edge of providing not enough fuel and then it runs out and stalls. The other interesting aspect of this: I can pump fuel manually with a priming lever as part of the pump. Priming the pump yesterday(Saturday) the pump could not fill the glass bowl...you could see it running down the edges of the glass bowl, then it would just disappear. ??? Now after I got the tractor running Friday, it eventually filled that separator bowl, especially after throttling up and then down. I have to believe that the diaphram of the fuel pump is possibly toast(or at least having some small leak), but also wondered if I should pull the fuel gauge assembly at the fuel tank and check it for leaks. I say this because a suction/blow test with the hose lines was not totally reassurring as it did not uniformly blow bubbles on the suction line as it should, right?
    Any other thoughts before I pony up on the $125 fuel pump?
    Rest and Be Thankful Farm
    Lyman, ME

955 Deere, FEL, 7 Backhoe, 59 Snowblower, 72" MMM, 7 ft Enorossi sickle bar mower, New Holland 273 Baler, Mystery International hay rake, , Woods posthole digger, 7ft York Rake, Wood splitter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    Once the glass bowl is filled, does air reappear while running? If so, you still have an air leak somewhere
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #13
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    I would say if you feel restriction when blowing backwards you have a screen that is impaired in the tank. If it is possible to remove the line and put it in a can of fuel and see if the problem goes away. Also take the line off at the out end of the filter and see if you have a good stream of fuel when cranking the engine.

Have you blown trought the filter it should easily clear but it won't taste good.
    Robert Johnson

2012 JD 1026R , 120 loader, forks, quick hitch and 54" hyd snow blade, 60" Auto connect
    260 backhoe, bro-tek thumb and ripper plow
    Omni Mfg rear weight bar and ripper- trailer hitch

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with rcjohns, I think you have a restricted suction screen in the tank. Item #11 is the screen. If it is choked up, you may want to remove the tank and flush it out also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MP9867_________UN01JAN94.jpg  

7. Top | #15
    Last Online
    Thanks

Ongoing fule issue

Quote Originally Posted by jd110 View Post
    I agree with rcjohns, I think you have a restricted suction screen in the tank. Item #11 is the screen. If it is choked up, you may want to remove the tank and flush it out also.
    Well, since the pump costs $100 plus, I will pull the fuel tank assembly and check the short hose for leaks and the screen for clogging. I am wondering if the short hose is rotted and leaking as this problem returned after the tractor ran the fuel level back down... stay tuned.

Pulled fuel tank assembly: rubber tube snapped off at the pipe...no screen etc. Pulling tank to retrieve "space junk" at bottom of tank...wrestling with the throttle cable which holds the tank captive...
    Last edited by maineuropa; 03-05-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: update
    Lyman, ME

955 Deere, FEL, 7 Backhoe, 59 Snowblower, 72" MMM, 7 ft Enorossi sickle bar mower, New Holland 273 Baler, Mystery International hay rake, , Woods posthole digger, 7ft York Rake, Wood splitter

8. Top | #16
    Last Online
    Thanks

Red face Wrap up

As I posted in a cross thread regarding fuel filters, my problem turned out to be that the 7 inch rubber hose attached to the strainer in the fuel tank had broken off at the metal tube of the sender/fuel assembly inside the tank. The tractor ran fine as long as the tube was covered with fuel..around about 1/3rd tank was when it stopped.
    Repairs amounted to possibly the cheapest Deere part known: 60 cents for the 7 inch tubing. (Maybe we should have a thread contest). Of course, there were "other" expenses incurred before this: I replaced both the suction and return hoses to the fuel tank ($9.00), plus the battery and the positive battery cable. ($75 battery, $50 cable).

I have a real issue with the term "Maintenance Free" on a battery that functions identically to the older "non maintenance free" ones: they both all have 6 cells with filler caps that need routine monitoring for fluid levels. My dead 5 year old NAPA battery was dry at all 6 plates and spent a cold freezing night with little charge. That was the end of that battery... no amount of charging was reviving that battery. Maybe "maintenance free" simply means use for 5 years and replace...live and learn..
    Lyman, ME

9. Top | #17
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 671 Posts
    I too learned a while back that maintenance free is marketing hype applied to all batteries. The only ones that are truely maintenace free are the completely sealed types. Glad you are all squared away and running again.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

10. Top | #18

Last Online
    03-31-2015 @ 08:00 AM
    Thanks
    Hi everyone--first post for me.Are there any other fuel screens in-line?The reason i ask is that your problem sound alot like an issue i had with a dozer not get enough fuel and it ended up being an in-line screen that actually sat in one of the banjo bolts on the fuel line on the in side of the pump.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2