#1 ·
Hello,

Upgrading from a 2320 to a 3520 with the following attachments:
  • 485 Backhoe + thumb
  • 300cx loader + 4in1 bucket
  • 72d deck
  • 59" front snowblower
  • BB2060 box blade

Got tired of waiting for the 270 backhoe, and have a bunch of projects (stone work) for which I need the increased capacity of the 300cx and 485 anyways.

I'm all set to do the deal, but am undecided on which tires. My 2320 has the R4s, and while i'm careful not to tread on my yard when wet, I am noticing certain areas are getting quite compacted. I'm thinking I will go with the turfs this time, which will hopefully offset the additional weight of the 3520. Mostly the 3520 will be used to landscape my property, so will be operating on my lawn for the most part. I have two concerns about the turf tires, though:
  • I have some fairly steep hills that I mow. Will the R3s have enough traction to get up and down without sliding? Maybe I just need to stay off the hills when wet?
  • My driveway also has a fairly steep hill. In the winter it ices up quite a bit -- I use a 3pt spreader to put sand/salt down and have had no traction problems with the 2320 & R4s. Will the 3520 with R3s be OK in the snow? I figure the 'Turf' tread is still more aggresive than my pickup truck tires, and it's like a tank in 4x4. Not interested in using chains, I hate wrestling with them to get them on, and don't want to wreck my garage floor.

I've waffled back and forth between the small R4s, big R4s and Turfs several times. I've even contemplated ordering a set of R1s to use in the winter or when I need extra traction. I figure with the BH and Loader and impact gun it would be pretty easy to change the tires. It's a fair amount of extra expense, though, plus i have to store them.

Would apreciate any advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you are going to get varying opinions on this subject, but from what you've described, I think you will be fine with the R3's. If your driveway is paved, I think you will find an improvement in traction in the snow over the R4's. Not sure if the same would apply on gravel though. The R4's definitely have a traction advantage in soft dirt and mud, have stiffer sideways that are more stable carrying loads, and will last longer than turfs. But for lawn maintenance, general loader work, and driveway clearing, the R3's should treat you just fine. I think wet grassy hills can be a challenge for either tire, particularly if the dirt is hard packed underneath, so just use good judgement there. Use 4wd if necessary. Good luck with the purchase!

#3 ·
See if you can get the super wide turfs like that can be ordered on the 4x20 series.They use these on golf course's. ...sorry my mind is blank and cant remember the proper name...its 5 in the morning and not enough coffee yet :morning2:

#4 ·
I would go with Turfs. NURU has them on a cabbed 3520 and you could pm him if you wanted.

IMHO, turfs are better in the snow and ice than R-1's! R-1's are too stiff and they do not have the surface area you can put chains on easily. We have Turf on our 4110 and we use it in the winter to snow-blow our large farm drive and have no issues. If you need more traction, chains go on turfs easily!

I think there is an issue with Turfs and some of the mmm on the 3x20's.

#10 ·
Yep go with the R3 Turf Specials if you can afford them - I got mine used in a set with wheels for a total of $700, and they were actually close to brand new. I for them for my former 4310 and when I got the 3520, I had to get new rims for the rears, as the bolt patter changed. I hope I don't ever get a flat as they are pretty expensive:cry:

just in case I occasionally look for them on ebay

I run them with my MMM, and the only issues with the tires I have are turning in 4WD, the tires sometimes slightly rub against the mower deck if I turn too sharp. The sizes I have are:

25x10.5x15 Fronts
41x18x16.1 rears

I wish I had these for even more stability

41/18/22.5 rears

I would avoid mowing on steep slopes as even with turfs you slide and pucker factors will be significantly enhanced - I know I have sat in my unit and watched the movie of the world quickly going by me without any control for a few seconds:slap-yourself-emoti

In the snow, I use the same tires and they do a very good job as far as traction goes. They would typically be better than R4s, in the snow in my area, unless you get the R4s studded, then the R4s would be way, way, way better. I have the R4s (filled), that originally came with the unit, and I am considering using them in the winter with studs and hub spacers so I can keep the stability.

#5 ·
I historically have always favored R1s and wanted to get them again when I bought my new tractor. I bought a 3520 open cab a few months ago and the dealer evaluated my needs and highly recommended the R3s. I am absolutely thrilled with the R3s and wish I would have tried them many years ago. I have hilly ground and I am using the tractor for both lawn care and small food plots. I also purchased new implements at the same time (72D AutoConnect belly mower, 300CX loader, 655 Tiller, Artillian Forks, 59" Snow blower, and a ballast box). All works great with the R3s without exception for me (obviously I haven't had the opportunity to try the snow blower yet). When I am climbing steep angle hills and the ground is damp I do use the 4WD functionality just to be safe.

My research shows that the standard R3s are compatible with all the attachments that JD lists for the 3520. The special Turf tires designed for golf courses, etc. are not compatible with several options, the 72D mower being one of them.

#6 ·
Just got back from the dealer, I decided to play it safe and go with the large R4s. My 2320 usually feels surefooted with it's R4s on my hills and slippery driveway, and the cost my dealer gave to change the tires out later is prohibitive. Some of the comments in favour of the turfs are making me second guess though...

Signed the paperwork, he figured it might take a month to get the tractor & attachments from the factory. At least I have a tractor in the meantime.

#9 ·
The 3x20 platform has a major "tippy" factor. The turf tires (wider) set in the wide position should make it much more stable. Operating around hills. If you go with the R4's ( which is what I have ) you should probably look into wheel extentions.

#13 · (Edited)
I have not figured that out, but it only does it when I turn very sharp in 4WD. I am guessing that there is some movement of the tires due to torque when power is applied to the front wheels, that is enough to make slight contact with the mower deck.

#14 ·
I have owned a 3320 and a 72" 7 iron non auto connect deck and have mowed 6 acres
with it since I got it in August 2006. It works perfect, no issues with yard compaction and no deck rubbing. No issues with tipping either (knock on wood). You will love the R4s. Great traction for loader work and in snow.

#15 ·
Thanks guys. Nuru, in my searching I saw pictures of your R3 turf specials, they look fantastic. I couldn't find a weight rating for them, though -- can they handle heavy loads for loader work, or are they strictly for mowing?

I decided to stick with what I know and get the R4s. I'm just waiting on the factory to build my tractor. I may end up getting an aerator too, to help with the compaction. If I could find a cheap set of R3s i'd definitely go down that route, but deere wants too much for them.

#23 ·
I have been running the R3's since I bought this new tractor is March. So far I like them. For me, they strike a good balance of being able to cut the lawn, while still able to do loader work. I regularly lift pallets up to 2,200 pounds without issue (a ballet box is always in place filled with concrete). The 1,000 pound loader work is what I am more comfortable with using this tractor, but use it where I can and it is doing the job. The tires, their wear, and how long they last are what I am watching now. I had R1's on the New Holland I traded in and they lasted me over 2,000 hours before I had to change them out. I included a picture as an example - the topsoil pallets are 1,600 pounds of material plus the pallet. The pallet of bricks I had to stack into two pallets because the single pallet was 4,600 pounds plus the pallet.

Attachments

#24 ·
Nice info on the R3's. Just to make sure I read that right though, you have lifted 2200lb pallets with the forks on your 3520 with the 300cx? That is impressive compared to the specs on it.

I just place and order for the 3720 cab with the 300cx and frontier forks for moving and unloading steel and equipment as I outfit my workshop. Looking forward to this rig for sure.

#25 ·
Congrats on the 3720 order. I think you will be pleased. Yes, that is correct, I have lifted 2,200 pounds of pallet with them, the brick pallet in my picture is 4,600 pounds. I split the pallet into two and lifted it off the trailer and across the yard. I never went lifted higher than about 2.5 feet off the ground with that weight. I also ensure I have my ballet box on when lifting any heavy weight and I also turned my tires around which gave me another 3.75 inches on each side of the tractor for a total of 7.5 inches increased width. It is also important to note that I could not rotate the pallet back past 90 degrees with that weight on. The weight isn't really that unreasonable. I copied some of the specs from John Deere's site:

Lift capacity at full height, lb. (kg) ---
Measured at pivot (U) 1598 (725)
Measured at 500 mm ahead of pivot (V) 1122 (509)
---
Lift capacity at 59 in. (1500 mm), lb. (kg) ---
Measured at pivot (W) 2125 (964)
Measured at 500 mm ahead of pivot (X) 1649 (748)
---
Boom breakout force, lbf (kgf) ---
Measured at pivot (Y) 3327 (1509)
Measured at 500 mm ahead of pivot (Z) 2417 (1097)
---
Bucket rollback force capacity, lbf (kgf) ---
At maximum height (VV) 1787 (811)
At 59-in. (1500-mm) lift height (XX) 2974 (1349)
At ground level line (ZZ) 3087 (1401)

Reactions: cjdavis618
#26 ·
Thanks for the info. I remembered that the lift was 1600ish at 24" forward of the pivot pin, so that is what I was going by. Sounds like I am really going to like this thing for what I will be doing with it.

I ordered this one with the 4in1 bucket also for other general cleanup and loader work. Anybody have one of these on theirs? Are they pretty handy rather than swapping out different QA loader attachments all the time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.