Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Hydro Fluid Change

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-20-2011 @ 07:52 AM
    Thanks

Hydro Fluid Change

I've done searches on TBN and read up as much as I can find on changing the hydro/trans fluid and filter on my cab 3520. Now you all are going to think this stupid question should not even need asked. Think what you may, I'm asking anyway. To take the suction filter off do I have to remove 3 bolts from the housing or does the end of the housing have knurled ridges on it for a reason as in twist off? I have the tech manual which says nothing about this and the parts manual in which the picture shows only the filter itself, not the housing. In other posts I read about needing to take the brace off of the suction line that goes into the top of the filter housing, so that make me think the 3 bolts along with the entire housing has to come off, yes? Also, since a person can never get every last bit of any kind of fluid out, how much was needed to put in? I have 7 gal ready to go. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    I changes my fluid in my 3720 about 8 months ago. Sad but I cannot remember much of it. I think that that screwed off. A wise man told me to catch all the fluid that I get out of the tractor and measure it. Put the same amount back in and then start testing for the correct level.

I think I bought 2 five gallon buckets and used about 7 gallons. I am going to have to see if I have pictures from when I did it.

Brian

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 671 Posts
    Don't think I can be a big help. You said you had the technical manual, but here is the user manual and specifications.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-31-2011 @ 02:39 PM
    Thanks
    The end cap of the suction filter does thread off..I've attached a pic (Not my pic cant claim credit for it)...

As for the amount of fluid...I had 2-5 Gal pails of new oil and 2-3.5 gal pails to catch the old....did go a tiny hair more then whats in the 2 3.5 gal pails, so I'd say a hair over 7 gals came out and went back in... Only tip here is to replace back what you think came out, and then drive it around, cycle the 3pt, etc... and then park it...check it again and add fluid as necessary...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails filter%20out.JPG  

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Spudland Dave, When it is said that a picture is worth a thousand words they had to be talking about the one you posted!!!! Not sure what ever possessed you to take it but it made my day. I thought the knurls on that housing had to be for a purpose but my eyes aren't what they used to be and I can not see/feel a line where the housing meets up with the bolt on part that the suction line goes in to. Even with my bifocals on and a bright light there was just no way to tell. Thanks to all who replied and hope I can pay back some time.
    rtgt and JKR like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Oops. Now I re-read the posts and see you didn't take it but passing the pic on is just as good!!
    rtgt likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    04-30-2019 @ 09:22 AM
    Thanks
    deputy11:

There are no stupid questions on this board, or I would be the King of Stupid!

I changed the Hydro on mine, and as you can see from the above picture, the cap does unscrew. The filter "snaps" out and "snaps" back in. At the end of the filter (the part that goes in first) there must be a hole that fits over something in there and it is very apparent when the filter is in fully. I also did not notice any o-rings on the large cannister filter as is mentioned in the manual.

I've done many many oil changes on motorcycles, but this first hydro/oil change on my 3720 made me a little anxious. After looking back at it, it was nothing more than the oil change on a bike, just ALOT more oil. Between the hydro for the tranny and the front axle, and the engine oil, I put in 8 gallons of fluid. I also learned how to take my FEL off, as it was easier to service the fluids without the FEL on.

Scott
    Scott

JD 3720 / 300CX FEL / IMatch / Frontier RC2060 / Frontier BB2060 / Rachet Rake / Hydraulink/Artillian Pallet forks

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    riderguy57, thanks for the info on the "snaps out snaps in" thing. I'll have a better idea what to expect. I looked over the new filter and no o rings came with it. Parts manual is a little confusing because they have 2 big o rings listed. Was going to do the change today but we got around 7" of snow the last 24hrs so had to get that moved. Minus 15 to start out this morning, up to +5 now but even in that cold had no tractor problems. I do use fuel conditioner and the tractor gets to start up/warm up in a heated shop. It is a bit of a pampered JD but then again it rewards me with problem free operation.
    PaDave and rtgt like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    04-29-2019 @ 06:28 AM
    Thanks
    One of these days, i am gonna gat off of my butt and do this procedure myself.
    Nuru
    3520 CAB, 300cx, Auto 72D, Power Beyond,
    3PT: Aerator, Flail Mower, Dirt Scoop, Fuel Transfer Caddy, JD sb1164 rear mount SNOBLOWR

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Got the hydro and suction filter changed last night. Went smooth thanks to the help here because I knew what to expect. Had a tiny bit of metal shaving on drain plug (first change since new) and was very happy about that. Took her out to move a little snow today because we're in a winter storm warning for the next couple of days and didn't want any surprise leaks. No problems. Thanks to all and Nuru, get off your butt and get er done!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast