Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 2017 K46 - Good or bad?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-30-2017 @ 10:28 AM
    Thanks

Question 2017 K46 - Good or bad?

I have an X series on order. It's coming with the K46 Transmission. I've read some information in the forums that leave me concerned that it may not be the best option for me.

I'm a heavy man (ok, I'm fat but working it ). I have a .41 acre yard that is essentially one 8 degree sloped hill. Mowing pattern would be up and down hill with each pass.
    I will mow weekly. Probably about 38 weeks/yr.

I need the 42" deck for the openings I have to navigate.

For $200 over the price of an X354 (w/ all wheel steer and the K46) I could get an X370 w/ power steering and the K57). That's about my budget. I pre-ordered the X354 because 4 wheel steering seems more useful based on the back and forth mowing and associated turning but would I be better off with wider/easier turns and the K57 transmission from a longevity/durability standpoint. I want this tractor to last a LONG time and plan to take good care of it.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil-Green View Post
    I have an X series on order. It's coming with the K46 Transmission. I've read some information in the forums that leave me concerned that it may not be the best option for me.

I'm a heavy man (ok, I'm fat but working it ). I have a .41 acre yard that is essentially one 8 degree sloped hill. Mowing pattern would be up and down hill with each pass.
    I will mow weekly. Probably about 38 weeks/yr.

I need the 42" deck for the openings I have to navigate.

For $200 over the price of an X354 (w/ all wheel steer and the K46) I could get an X370 w/ power steering and the K57). That's about my budget. I pre-ordered the X354 because 4 wheel steering seems more useful based on the back and forth mowing and associated turning but would I be better off with wider/easier turns and the K57 transmission from a longevity/durability standpoint. I want this tractor to last a LONG time and plan to take good care of it.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
    I'd definitely recommend getting the X370 for all the reasons that you stated. I think that the 2 wheel steer tractor would be more stable on hills. The heavier duty transmission will definitely last longer. Especially when carrying a heavy load on hills. The power steering and deck lift is something that you didn't realize that you needed until you use it. lol Since I have used both on my X540 I'd never go back. The power lift is really helpful when using the 48" snow plow.
    Plus it's only a small price difference over the X354.
    Good luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

Lil-Green (04-22-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:53 AM
    Thanks
    Definitely recommend the X370 and K57. The half-acre the K46 can handle no problem, it’s the consistent 8 degree slope that has me concerned. The K57 has about 10% more torque, but the key to K57 is filter and easily replaced Tranny fluid. Going up ( and just as bad going down) a hill causes tranny fluid to heat up, over time it loses its lubricating properties. While the K46 oil can be replaced, but it’s a day’s work pulling tranny from tractor - with K57 you can easily change oil yearly,( or bi annually depending on use) keep it fresh and protect your tranny. And you’ll absolutely love the power steering. I never thought I needed power steering till I got a tractor with PS, now I cant imagine mowing without it. For a few hundred bucks my advice is DO IT
    John Deere X590- 47 inch Snow blower

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilovegreen For This Useful Post:

Lil-Green (04-22-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Thumbs up Thank you.

Thank you very much for the quick replies and guidance. I appreciate the help.

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well... talked to the dealer some more. He said the K46 is pretty solid around here and they hardly ever have to work on one. He said they get them in as completely healthy transmissions in trade-ins on tractors that are many years old. Now it could be that great forums like this just direct people to resolutions outside of the dealer so they don't see them for that reason.
    Another consideration is that the X370 is $200 more and the X354 is on sale for $200 off making the difference $400. I can get a full rebuild kit for a K46 for $300 (or partial kit for almost half that) and kind of like that kind of tinkering. Additionally, X370's don't appear to be popular in Texas so they'd have to ship one from Missouri. Not a huge deal but the deal on the X354 would potentially be gone (ends May 1st unless they run it again).

I know... that's a lot of information nobody really wanted..

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Thanks
    I'll be honest.. All the gripe on the 46 is IMHO, over done. We work on way over 5 to 600 mowers a yr. I see MAYBE 1 a yr on average that have failed. Some yrs I see none. Belts.. We replace a lot of belts, stuck tensioners, stripped trans pulleys ect. The Piedmont area of NC is pretty hilly and we got some big folks operating them. I just dont see the failures. One trans that we do see fail is the one in the L130. I think its because of the larger rear tires. But.. The L130 is now getting older..
    In repeated serious use, that belt and idlers are gonna soak up a lot of shock before it gets to trans. Also.. How is the user taking care of their unit. Cooling fan doesnt do much if the trans is packed full of grass.
    Rock on with that K46. You have a 4 yr warranty.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

Lil-Green (04-22-2017)

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    I'll be honest.. All the gripe on the 46 is IMHO, over done. We work on way over 5 to 600 mowers a yr. I see MAYBE 1 a yr on average that have failed. Some yrs I see none. Belts.. We replace a lot of belts, stuck tensioners, stripped trans pulleys ect. The Piedmont area of NC is pretty hilly and we got some big folks operating them. I just dont see the failures. One trans that we do see fail is the one in the L130. I think its because of the larger rear tires. But.. The L130 is now getting older..
    In repeated serious use, that belt and idlers are gonna soak up a lot of shock before it gets to trans. Also.. How is the user taking care of their unit. Cooling fan doesnt do much if the trans is packed full of grass.

Thank you for that information as well. I appreciate everyone's help.

I suppose just the choice to pick a John Deere should offer some comfort with the durability even at my modest price point.
    xcopterdoc likes this.

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    You'll be fine.

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post

L130 has a K46

I have near 700 hours on my '04 and I've done a flush and fill with a new filter and new magnets at ~575 hours 4 years ago and it's still going strong.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    L130 has a K46

I have near 700 hours on my '04 and I've done a flush and fill with a new filter and new magnets at ~575 hours 4 years ago and it's still going strong.
    I know the L130 has a k46 but for some reason I see those fail more than another unit with a K46. Beats me..

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast