I bought a 125 Automatic for a couple hundred bucks and knew it would need alittle work, but after I started ripping into it, realized that it needs to be completely rebuilt. The tractor has 160 hours on it. It starts and sounds good. The problem is that the previous owner had it sitting outside and everything is rusted. I don't think the previous owner has ever did any maintenance to the tractor. The most difficult time I've had is getting the console off. The bolts were completely rusted and it was such a tight space to get any wrenches or sockets in there. I ended up having to use a grinder to cut two of them off. I had to drill and tap them out. The tires are dry rotted. The front spindles/steering don't move, completely seized. The deck needs work. So I started buying parts, luckily there's a John Deere dealership down the road where I can get parts. So far I've done the following:
Click here for the album. JD 125 Automatic build - Album on Imgur
Replaced front spindles and put bearings in front tires.
Got free replacement tires and had them mounted
Striped deck and painted it.
Replaced deck spindles, springs, tension springs and pulleys.
Replaced transmissions pulleys and belt.
Dropped tranny and replaced fluid with 5w-50
Replaced steering bushing, sector and gear
So far I've spent $300 in parts. I'm close to done, just have to finish putting it all together. Will post an update soon.