Green Tractor Talk banner

I could really use some help

5K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Tomfive 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a John deere La110 with a 42 inch cutting deck. I am trying to replace the deck belt on it for the first time. It seems as though the new belt is not long enough to reach the pulley that hangs below the engine. I bought the correct belt but it still appears to be several inches short.... any advice? Sorry for the rookie question. Every time i watch a video of a replacement, it looks so easy to just slip it on that last pulley, but my belt is either too short or way too tight. can't figure it out.

#2 ·
Have someone pull the tensioner out so that the belt is as loose as possible?

Reactions: troyrogers156
#10 ·
You may have to give that tensioner a shot of WD-40. It'll move.
Also, check the deck adjustment-I think it is called the draft rod (the one in the front). Make sure it isn't too loose (which would make the deck further back).

#12 ·
I'd start with measuring/comparing the length of the old belt with the new belt. Take into account some stretching and wear, but it shouldn't be that much longer. If the lengths match, then 9 times out of 10 it's the routing, or as mentioned the tensioner. Sometimes that actual belt has been changed mid production and doesn't show up in the manual/parts list.

Make sure you're not going around a post or guide that would make the new belt appear too short.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: troyrogers156
#15 ·
I will look when I get off work this afternoon. Im not confident as it was really worn, but there may be a visible number on there. That being said, the belt that was on it was not a john deere belt. Would you recommend that i put a different brand on it, or should I get the John deere one?

#22 ·
Like getting 2 left shoes in the box. Some one else may have a problem too.

Good that you solved the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.