Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Deck Alignment Way Off From the Factory

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-30-2017 @ 10:28 AM
    Thanks

Question Deck Alignment Way Off From the Factory

Just became a card carrying member. My X370 arrived today. I put the bumper one, some subjectively better LED bulbs I'll probably never use and proceeded to level the 42" deck with the provided tools.
    I expected it would just need some fine tuning but it was about an inch low all the way around. So low that now I'm afraid I may not understand the leveling procedure as well as I thought and maybe got something wrong (though it seems pretty fool-proof).

On my deck, set it 2.5" and lower the deck. Take the plastic tool out and check at the back at the 2 weld spots and the front bracket under the "3". Adjust the back with the wrench tool until the plastic tool just barely brushes the deck when slid underneath. On the front, loosen the nuts and bolts and adjust until the plastic piece does the same under the "3". I had to circle around the deck several times because of how far off it was until I had all 3 points right.

I searched and didn't hear anybody else talking about this. Did you guys find yours that far off on delivery or am I doing this wrong?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Thanks
    You should be measuring the blades not the deck.It should tell you how to adjust in your book.The front needs to be slightly lower than the rear.Adjust side to side first blades facing towards the discharge, then rotate the blades so their pointing front to back.The front should be slightly lower than the back about 1/8" difference.Set the deck at 3" setting so you have some room and make sure the tire pressure is set in all 4 tires.(in the book)
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TJR345 For This Useful Post:

Lil-Green (04-28-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    You should be measuring the blades not the deck.It should tell you how to adjust in your book.The front needs to be slightly lower than the rear.Adjust side to side first blades facing towards the discharge, then rotate the blades so their pointing front to back.The front should be slightly lower than the back about 1/8" difference.Set the deck at 3" setting so you have some room and make sure the tire pressure is set in all 4 tires.(in the book)
    Thank you very much. My search skills failed me again. I did find some good info here: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...-question.html

I almost ordered that darn thing too. It's cheap. Guess I'll get that piece headed this way.

Thank you.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    08-19-2019 @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks
    The supplied tools should do fine. Mine was off at least as much as yours was. It took 3 or 4 times around to get it right. Now it cuts like a dream and looks like a new mowed golf course. My mower was delivered with the Snowblower on it so I suspect they never even bothered with the deck leveling.
    Ron
    X748SE, BigJim55, romcjr and 1 others like this.
    John Deere X758 with a 60" HC MMM deck and a 47" Front mount Blower.
    John Deere 17p cart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RonPol For This Useful Post:

Lil-Green (04-28-2017)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
    I wouldn't worry too much about it being out of adjustment from new. That is not that uncommon. There is really no reason why you can't use the method described in the manual which uses the little deck height check tool (aka chess piece). It makes the deck leveling process fast and easy. I use it all the time on my X500 deck and it works perfectly. Like you I had to go around the adjustments a few times as adjusting one side has a slight effect on the opposite side.

The only time you should need the blade measuring tool is if you want to verify that the cut height on the blade matches your selector dial. If it doesn't it's no big deal you just need to know how much to compensate.
    X748SE, BigJim55 and tj1 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Lil-Green (04-28-2017)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you for the replies. I did go ahead and order the gauge and I also verified the tire pressure before measuring. Now that I found the other thread and got your replies I'm feeling better about my leveling.

I'll just set the deck a little high at first and ease into a comfortable match with my push mower cut height.

Thank you again.
    Last edited by Lil-Green; 04-28-2017 at 08:46 PM.
    TJR345 likes this.

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-19-2019 @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Just make sure you are on a good level spot. I will level a deck, move the tractor a few feet away check it again and the level is off.
    BigJim55 and TJR345 like this.

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Thanks
    Does anyone know if Deere puts on the deck at the factory, or do they leave that to the dealer?

My X754 with 60" deck was poorly aligned, which makes me think the dealer installed the deck as it was a separate line item when I ordered the tractor.
    BigJim55 and TJR345 like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Does anyone know if Deere puts on the deck at the factory, or do they leave that to the dealer?

My X754 with 60" deck was poorly aligned, which makes me think the dealer installed the deck as it was a separate line item when I ordered the tractor.
    I believe the last time I was at my dealer they had a shipment,the LT had the decks on and the larger decks (GT and X series) were not.
    mjncad, X748SE and BigJim55 like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post

Since the decks are sold separately on the X700-series it is almost certain the dealers install them.
    mjncad, X748SE, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast