Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: are they really worth the extra $$

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-24-2017 @ 12:05 PM
    Thanks

are they really worth the extra $$

first no bashing the green here... just purchased the x590 and love it...but for the money it makes me think a bit. just as an example the CC xt3 with a shaft drive and choice of fab or stamped deck for thousands less. i'm a little disappointed to still see belt drive and a stamped deck on these 5 series. does anybody with a 5 series in particular ever think that deere may be not all that. around here it's deere country and the dealer network can't be beat. one of the main reasons in choosing deere this go around.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    07-29-2019 @ 02:01 PM
    Thanks
    The X590 with Belt drive will drag a CC XT3 for fun—the K72 is much more powerful than the XT3, shaft drive. You get a better more powerful engine. Hydraulic power steering is worlds better than electric power steering (more responsive and much more reliable over long term) Bigger rear tires (better ride) better and more attachments. Better warranty, better reliability, much better resale value ( JD’s hold their value) - yes you pay more the John Deere X590, but you get a lot of value for the money- I actually like the XT3- for some people it might be the right choice- not for me
    BigJim55, romcjr and darkrt like this.
    John Deere X590- 47 inch Snow blower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 2014 X540 with a 54" deck. I shopped CC before making my purchase.

Never had a problem with the transmission drive belt. With my 48" plow it pushes snow almost as good as my Wrangler. No slipping whatsoever. Even working in blizzard conditions.
    The X7xx tractor's have a drive shaft. The CC shaft is not even in the same ballpark IMHO. In less they changed the design that CC shaft doesn't even have U joints. It's more like a torque tube. Also only a available on the 3 series tractors.

All but the cheapest X5xx tractors have power steering & deck lift. Only the top 2 CC models have it. JD is hydro vs CC electric. Not sure electric is any better.

ALL X5xx tractors have a diff lock. ONLY the top of the line CC 3's have it.

The JD's also have thicker axles.

Big seat on my X540 is way more comfortable than anything CC offers.

JD will have way better resale value and be easier to sell. (Should you want to upgrade lol)

You also have to add the mower deck cost to the CC total price.

Some of the JD's come with HDAP rear tires. All CC' are smaller turfs only.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 05-01-2017 at 08:22 PM.
    BigJim55, boss30264 and romcjr like this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (05-01-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Thanks
    You sort of answered your own question. Resale on green is way above the rest. Having a good Dealership to work with is paramount in most any major purchase and seems like you have that part covered too. Now that you have already made the purchase enjoy your new purchase. Questions about the particulars........you have come to the right place to get answers. We will also help spend your extra cash....
    mjncad, BigJim55 and darkrt like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Thanks
    Yes,first the CC isa lawn tractor not a garden tractor like the Deere.The Deere you can get more attachments for (tiller,front thatcher,PF bagger) you actually have to compare a x3xx series to be apples to apples.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

My 2 cents is you made the correct decision. I used to repair mowing equipment for a living so I have seen a lot of equipment when things go bad. Don't get hung up on a shaft drive and a fab deck, neither are needed for a lawn tractor and there are other aspects that are far better on the Deere over the CC.

Belts are a very good method of transferring power for lawn tractors. Shaft drive in this class of tractors adds complexity and in my opinion, expense as now you have an additional gearbox to maintain as well as the shaft and joints. (I haven't worked on a CC in maybe 15 years so I haven't seen if they are using joints or if its a simple shaft at a fixed angle.) Keep in mind that the CC tractors are classified as lawn tractors, not garden tractors like the x700 (or the early 318's) If you were using ground engaging attachments like a moldboard plow, box blade or ripper, then you can make the case for a shaft drive system, but the X500 or CC series doesn't offer a 3pt so, in my opinion, the shaft drive on the CC is more marketing than a useful feature.

As far as fab vs hydroformed decks, keep in mind that fab decks were originally made for wide commercial walk-behind mowers in the early 80's. Back then, since they needed decks wider than anything else on the market, they had to fab their own. As Walker, Wright, Scag, Bobcat etc were all small companies, none had the $ to go out and buy a 500 ton hydroform press to stamp out 5 and 6 foot wide formed decks so they took flat metal and made them. A modern hydroformed deck is a much better choice for the non commercial user. My 62D on my 2520 is hydroformed, it cuts as good, if not better, than the fab'd decks on the Wright's, Ferris's and Snapper Pro's that I have run in recent years.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-24-2017 @ 12:05 PM
    Thanks
    all good and valid points guys...much appreciated. like i said before no regrets at all just more of a huh moment.
    BigJim55 and TJR345 like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post
    all good and valid points guys...much appreciated. like i said before no regrets at all just more of a huh moment.
    Welcome from good ol Iowa as well. What part of iowa you in?
    2018 John Deere 2038R
    72" mower
    220 loader
    72" Frontier landscape rake
    CenPeCo synthetic oil

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 AM
    Thanks
    Wow, how far has CC fallen? No garden tractors, wow, just, wow!!!!! Not to bashed CC, but their new color schemes are quite ugly in my opinion. And not to offer a garden tractor? That's simply sad to think that Cub Cadet isn't offering a garden tractor. I guess I have been quite out of touch with their offerings recently.

Though I do think the X500 series are a bit pricey, they're great machines and with the available integral hitch, they can be quite handy in the garden. I wouldn't mind having one, but for now, their predecessor, my GX345 will do just fine.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 12:39 PM
    Thanks
    Well The Cub Cadet XT3 is Marketed as a Garden tractor. But MTD IN there Infinite wisdom does Not Produced a sleeve Hitch for a Tractor they are Marketing as a Garden tractor your Only choice is Universal Sleeve Hitch It's a Big reason we Have not Bought one to replace our Cub Cadet 2206 and the XT3 will pull sleeve Hitch Implements Just fine. The XT3 is basically a older Cub Cadet 2500 series except MTD Changed the frame slightly. So the electric lift sleeve Hitch they Made for the 2500 series will not work on the Late 2000 series & XT3 series tractor. But yet MTD does have Agri-Fab Produce a sleeve Hitch for there 4 Garden tractors Models Under the XT1 & XT2 series and Depending which Model XT1 or XT2 they either Have a K58 or a (K62w/Diff/lock Pedal) which Keep In Mind Deere use the K58 In the Current X300 series Tractors & Deere Used a K62 In the LX200 series Lawn Tractors & 190C Lawn Tractor. Prior to the XT1 or XT2 Garden tractors MTD used either a Hydro-Gear G730 or a Tuff-Torq K66 in there Belt driven Garden tractors.. The Other sticking Point with the XT3 is MTD also stopped Producing there 30inch Hydraulic tiller which we also Have On our 2206 The Only choice for a PTO driven tiller for the Late 2000 & XT3 series is this 30" Rotary Tiller for Lawn and Garden Tractors - Bercomac which Bercomac does Market as fitting those tractors. Electric lift was used In the Past During the IH Production of the Cub Cadet tractor.IH went Back to Hydraulic lift with the Introduction of the wide Frames & only offered electric lift on the Gear Models. I am still iffy on the electronic Power steering I don't Know if it will still be functioning right in say 15 years Because I have 3 Cub's that are still fully functioning at 40+ years old and even are 15 year old 2206 is still running great and so is the electric lift actuator on the sleeve hitch. Back when MTD did the redesign they were Trying to see there Top of the Line Late Model 2000 for almost more than there 3000 series and You didn't Have Hydraulic lift or Hydraulic Power steering either Just electric lift for deck and Front dozer Blade ^ electronic Power steering. I just wonder How Long the actuator will hold up lifting if you buy the 60inch deck for it. See The Cub Cadet 2500 series outsold there 3000 series for several reason it was a Good Medium Garden tractor and MTD did Not Update the 3000 series which was designed to compete with the Deere 425 thru 455 & the Simplicity Legacy. When Both Deere & Simplicity Updated there Lines they went to a Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch and added 4WD or finally AWD Cub still continued to Produce the 3000 series with a Cat 0 3point Hitch(the Biggest Cat 0 Producer Brinly stopped Producing Cat 0 Implements In 2005) and PTO power Implements where still 2000RPM. That's another thing the 3000 series was never offered with a rear 540RPM PTO. They 3000 series was offered at one time with a Rear 2000RPM PTO in the Late 1990's Had they Updated the 3000 series It Might still be around. But You got a lot more with a Deere X400 thru X700 series Or a Simplicity Legacy XL. and sales Just dropped for MTD on the 3000 series Because it was Never updated for the Market.. Then The dropping of the Yanmar Cub Cadet really Hurt MTD. But the sales were Just Not there For Yanmar. I would Buy a Cub Cadet XT3 GSX in a Heartbeat if they would just Have Agri-Fab Produce a sleeve Hitch for them even a Manual lift sleeve Hitch. Because we Can Make do with a Bercomac tiller. A friend of ours uses a Bercomac tiller On his JD LT160. MTD use to Make decent Garden tractor I have a 1999 shaft driven White GT2055 with Kwik-way Loader. That's another Line MTD Killed in the Mid 2000's. MTD Killed there shaft driven White Tractors In 2000. They were a deal for $3,200 You Got a Big GT that was Loader Capable & it Came standard with a Cat 0 3point Hitch. You could Buy either a 50 or 60inch shaft driven deck for them. In years past they even made a 42inch Shaft driven deck for them as well as a 40inch Shaft driven tiller It was also the Bases for the Top of the Line Yardman Tractor and even the MTD Name Brand. This all said I would still Buy a MTD Made Cub Cadet Zero turn with a steering wheel Before I would even consider a Deere Made zero turn of any Kind. I agree with Terry I don't care Much for the Color scheme either from Cub. But they don't Look bad either

Now My wife Just Bought a Cub Cadet XT2 GX54D for a friend of ours to Take Care of our Old Property Since His Craftsman is throwing drive Belts to often I had a change to drive it when I delivered it. They are a decent Garden tractor for the Money It Has a Pedal operated Diff/lock. We also Bought him a 46inch Dozer Blade & weight bracket with two suitcase weights & Terra-grip rubber Chains. If he is going to Plow are Old Concrete driveway at our other House then He is not going to scratch it up with Chains.

But a Deere X500 is so Much More Tractor than a Cub Cadet XT3(lets Call it a Yard Tractor) especially a X590 You get Hydraulic Power steering and Hydraulic Lift. Hydraulic lift & steering response so Much Faster Than electric or electronic Plus You Can get a Hydraulically lifted Integral Hitch(Sleeve Hitch) Personally I would still go with John's electric Lift Universal(wish Hayes still produced there electric lift Integral hitch) so You can do two Operations at once(have John Universal electric lift sleeve hitch On My 2004 GX335). Either a 30inch Mechanical Belt driven tiller Or a 42inch Hydraulic tiller Power By a Belt driven PTO Pump. You Can get a JD shovel or a Johnny Bucket Jr for it and You Know the K72 will handle it. I prefer Pedal Operated diff/lock compared to Handle Operated Diff/lock on the XT3 GSX Because when It's No longer needed it's Faster to stop using it with the Pedal. I also really Like the Power flow Baggers On the Deere as well.

BTW Belt driven actually transfers Power Better than shaft drive. But Belts do ware after time and Lose that advantage.

So really you did Pretty well Buying a JD X590 If I were You I would Have No regrets getting the X590 over a XT3 GSX
    Last edited by Sergeant; 05-02-2017 at 11:17 PM.
    BigJim55 and TJR345 like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sergeant For This Useful Post:

boss30264 (05-06-2017), Herminator (05-02-2017)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast