Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By H-D dealer dude

Thread: X300 engine Rev Up problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-19-2017 @ 09:21 PM
    Thanks

X300 engine Rev Up problem

Hello all, I'm a Newbie here and could use some help / advise or suggestions.
    I have a 2009 JD X300 38" deck lawn tractor/mower.
    Last year it started having this problem where the motor would not rev up all the way after I stopped to empty the grass clipping bags. It would eventually rev up to full speed and would run as normal but started taking longer to get back to normal speed as I kept mowing. This year it just does not rev all the way up to normal speed at all. it smells like the engine is running rich. I just changed oil, oil filter, plugs, air filters, greased fittings added a little Startron to new gas but problem still exists. I'm hoping this is common enough that others may have experienced this and might have suggestions. Thanks for any help...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Thanks
    Sounds like you have a cylinder that isnt firing. While running remove each plug wire to identify the culprit.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Thanks
    Have you examined your governor linkage to make sure it strokes freely and the spring or springs are not missing or worn out?
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    xcopterdoc,
    Tested as you suggested:
    As you look forward from tractors seat I pulled plug on the Left side that killed the motor instantly, restarted motor, I then pulled the plug on the right side and it didn't kill motor. It didn't even skip a beat. So no spark / firing on the right cylinder.
    Could this possibly be Coil related?
    Any further tests or suggestions? I appreciate and Thank you for your help......

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleRooo View Post
    xcopterdoc,
    Tested as you suggested:
    As you look forward from tractors seat I pulled plug on the Left side that killed the motor instantly, restarted motor, I then pulled the plug on the right side and it didn't kill motor. It didn't even skip a beat. So no spark / firing on the right cylinder.
    Could this possibly be Coil related?
    Any further tests or suggestions? I appreciate and Thank you for your help......
    Do a compression test on both cylinders. This will tell you if the cylinder is capable of firing.
    Also test the right side for spark. Put the plug on the wire and hold it against the head while you crank it over. Better yet use a spark checking tool.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 10:09 AM
    Thanks
    As a follow up to Dealer Dude's expert advice, I can offer a little extra. It could be just a bad spark plug. Swap them side to side to find out, if you see spark on both sides during the test. Sometimes a plug will fire when removed from the head but not under compression. No spark to the plug might be a bad coil. There are two coils mounted outside the flywheel.
    No compression on that cylinder might mean a push rod has dropped out (adjustment too loose) or bent.
    Looking at JD Parts, I see there was more than one engine model used in the X300 series. One of them has had the coil part number superseded already. At any rate, before you head off to get any needed parts, be sure to write down the model numbers on the engine you have. That will be needed to get correct parts.
    Hang in there. You'll find the problem!

tommyhawk

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks H-D dealer dude and tommyhawk. I will follow your advice and test for spark and compression. My motor is a Kawasaki FH491V - 472cc. Date of MFG - 0508

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Sorry I didn't update until now.
    S<script id="gpt-impl-0.676094818402756" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_119.js"></script>o after testing, with several spark plugs, and getting no spark on the right side. I ordered and replaced the right side coil. Both coils and the flywheel are pretty rusty. That cured the problem. Motor ran like new or at least better then it had for the last couple of years. It ran great for about an hour. Then back to low rev problem. So I checked for spark again and right side, with new coil, was fine. Unplugged sparkplug wire engine dies. So I tried the same on the LEFT side plug, and motor rpm dropped a little but motor kept running. No spark. So now I ordered the left side coil, replaced it and now Motor running like new again.
    I don't know why I seem to forget to check the basics: is it getting Fuel, is it getting Spark.

I just want to thank you all for your help and advice. I had been pretty frustrated until I came on the forum asking for help. And you all came through for me. Thanks again fellers......

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleRooo View Post
    Sorry I didn't update until now.
    S<script id="gpt-impl-0.676094818402756" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_119.js"></script>o after testing, with several spark plugs, and getting no spark on the right side. I ordered and replaced the right side coil. Both coils and the flywheel are pretty rusty. That cured the problem. Motor ran like new or at least better then it had for the last couple of years. It ran great for about an hour. Then back to low rev problem. So I checked for spark again and right side, with new coil, was fine. Unplugged sparkplug wire engine dies. So I tried the same on the LEFT side plug, and motor rpm dropped a little but motor kept running. No spark. So now I ordered the left side coil, replaced it and now Motor running like new again.
    I don't know why I seem to forget to check the basics: is it getting Fuel, is it getting Spark.

I just want to thank you all for your help and advice. I had been pretty frustrated until I came on the forum asking for help. And you all came through for me. Thanks again fellers......
    Sounds like you are learning about the joy of being a mechanic. lol
    Just imagine having to tell your customer that he needs to buy another magneto. This is after he drug the fixed tractor home. Then after an hour of cutting grass the same thing happens. The next phone call would be to you.

FYI coils work off either points & condenser or electronic ignition. Either way the system needs battery power to charge the coil. Then the ignition system will tell it when to fire the plug. Without a changing system the battery will eventually run down and die. Turning off the juce will also stop the engine.

Magnetos charge & fire by a magnet made into the flywheel spinning past it. They are kind of like a perpetual motion machine. As long as the flywheel keeps spinning they will keep sparking the plug. The fuel supply is usually the first thing to dry up stopping the engine. Mag fired engines are usually stopped 2 ways. A kill wire shorts it to ground or the fuel supply is cut off.
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements