• 4 Post By UnionSchnauzer
  • 2 Post By spokes100

Thread: Bought a JD D170

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks

Bought a JD D170

I needed a 54" lawn tractor. It was either the D170 or the X380 54. The X380 is $1900 more and too much for my second mower. My main mower is a JD Z525E 48. In fact I went to Lowes a month or so ago and bought one. Went home and read the bad reviews. Didn't sleep at all and went back next morning and canceled the order before being delivered. After another month of indecision I went to Home Depot and brought my trailer. They gave me a 10% veterans discount and I bought their Protection Plan which added 3 years to the factory warranty for a total of 5 years for $349. Plus they'll come to the house for repairs. One thing that the D170 has on the competition is the discharge hole is big and open. All the others have a bar across the bottom of the hole. I occasionally get into tall grass and sometimes it can get clogged up on my old mowers. For my needs the D170 is a good fit and hopefully will last a long time. What is your opinion on the D170?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome.
    What made you go with a tractor vs just keeping the zero turn?

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks

Why I need both.

I live in the country on a hay farm. While the zero turn is my main mower for around the house & walking trail etc. There are some jobs I need the lawn tractor for. I pull a small trailer with tools for various jobs. I also pull a small spray tank on occasion. I can hold the spray wand with one hand and steer with the other using the pedal to control the speed.The Z525E can't or I won't tow with it. Also a lawn tractor is easier to get out of the mud. I use the lawn tractor around my pond and I try to get as close as possible to the water without getting stuck. But sometimes I do. I live at the end of a half mile gravel road and I sometimes hit rocks mowing the grass along the edge and I'd rather nick blades on my rough cut lawn tractor than on my zero.Plus there are some areas that are kinda tight for the farm tractor and it's easier to mow with the 54"lawn tractor. Sometimes if there is something hooked up to the farm tractor and I don't want to unhook to mow around the pond in summer months I use the lawn tractor. With the 54" its nearly as fast with all the turns to mow a couple of acres. I put twice or even three times the hours on my zero. I still use the lawn tractor regularly. That's why I need both.
    Last edited by Z5D1; 05-13-2017 at 09:30 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    You'll see a smattering of D170 owners here and there. There aren't many of them. I think the bulk of the 100-series machines are the D130 and lower machines.

I've had my D160 for 4 years now. It's essentially the same as your D170 but with a 48" deck. I haven't had any problems (yet!) but I don't use it for anything but mowing on a mostly flat lawn either.
    johnH123 and Drifterbike like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 05:51 AM
    Thanks
    I just bought a D170 along with a 1025R this spring. It's a great lower cost tractor - 25HP strong. I've mowed 6-8" overgrown stuff without any issue. As you mentioned the discharge is large and can push out a lot of material. My only gripe is the engine has some vibration at full throttle.
    Drifterbike likes this.
    John Deere 1025R FILB, BB2048L, RC2048, Edge Tamers, King Kutter TG-48-XB, 60" Back Blade, Exmark Laser Z 60"

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 10:56 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Z5D1 View Post
    I live in the country on a hay farm. While the zero turn is my main mower for around the house & walking trail etc. There are some jobs I need the lawn tractor for. I pull a small trailer with tools for various jobs. I also pull a small spray tank on occasion. I can hold the spray wand with one hand and steer with the other using the pedal to control the speed.The Z525E can't or I won't tow with it. Also a lawn tractor is easier to get out of the mud. I use the lawn tractor around my pond and I try to get as close as possible to the water without getting stuck. But sometimes I do. I live at the end of a half mile gravel road and I sometimes hit rocks mowing the grass along the edge and I'd rather nick blades on my rough cut lawn tractor than on my zero.Plus there are some areas that are kinda tight for the farm tractor and it's easier to mow with the 54"lawn tractor. Sometimes if there is something hooked up to the farm tractor and I don't want to unhook to mow around the pond in summer months I use the lawn tractor. With the 54" its nearly as fast with all the turns to mow a couple of acres. I put twice or even three times the hours on my zero. I still use the lawn tractor regularly. That's why I need both.
    Trust me when I say this my friend, you will never need to explain why you have more than one John Deere on this site. In fact, I am surprised that there is not a two John Deere minimum to even belong here.

I for one salute you as a fine American!

isaac
    Last edited by UnionSchnauzer; 05-14-2017 at 09:10 AM.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    05-23-2017 @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks

Smile My 2 cents...

Just my 2 cents... The D170 is a fine tractor and sounds like it is just what you need. But please remember it is a lawn mower first and a tractor second. By that I mean the hydrostatic transaxle (Kanzaki Tuff Torq HD K46) is not made for pulling ground engaging equipment and/or heavy loads regularly. Occasionally you can pull your trailer etc. but you will overheat the transaxle sooner or later.
    I would suggest changing the oil after 50 hours to a 5w50 weight synthetic and every 200 hours after that. Even though Deere says it is a sealed unit with no maintenance required the manufacturer recommends it. It has been written about many times and some how to's even have pictures. I've done a couple of them and I'm 69 years old. The hardest part is removing tranny from tractor. It's not rocket science. The synthetic oil will stand the heat better. When the tranny overheats you'll know it, it will get progressively slower.
    Drifterbike and GreenBlood like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spokes100 View Post
    Just my 2 cents... The D170 is a fine tractor and sounds like it is just what you need. But please remember it is a lawn mower first and a tractor second. By that I mean the hydrostatic transaxle (Kanzaki Tuff Torq HD K46) is not made for pulling ground engaging equipment and/or heavy loads regularly. Occasionally you can pull your trailer etc. but you will overheat the transaxle sooner or later.
    I would suggest changing the oil after 50 hours to a 5w50 weight synthetic and every 200 hours after that. Even though Deere says it is a sealed unit with no maintenance required the manufacturer recommends it. It has been written about many times and some how to's even have pictures. I've done a couple of them and I'm 69 years old. The hardest part is removing tranny from tractor. It's not rocket science. The synthetic oil will stand the heat better. When the tranny overheats you'll know it, it will get progressively slower.

I beat the K46 in my old 2005 L108 like a red haired step child for 9 years and never had a problem. After about a year of fairly normal use on my 1/3 acre it started making a little whining noise. Besides cutting grass it was used to plow snow on a 100' driveway plus 6 car parking area. After 2 years of that I moved. Then I used it for my property management job at the trailer hood I moved into. Used it to cut about 12 vacant lots most of which were double wide. Plus a good size retention pond with steep banks all the way around. All of it was over 2' high when I started. The place was neglected big time. Come winter time the plow guy that they had never showed up. When he did it was a lousy job. Ended up taking over that part. Anything 4" or under I would do with my 46" blade. Anything over I found a new subcontractor to do the main roads. I would still do clean up and parked areas. Then I would drag my 275# JD spreader to salt the roads. Now this was a 70 unit park. Eventually I got a plow for my Wrangler and took over the entire winter operation.

As far as towing. During the grass cutting season it would tow a utility cart with a push mower, string trimmer, blower, cooler, 3 gallon sprayer, plus my helper riding on the front of the cart. Also added a hitch plate to the back of the cart. Then hooked up my JD 42" lawn sweeper to it. This would save me an extra trip. It looked like a little train. lol

You should be fine with your D170. LOL

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    05-30-2017 @ 10:28 AM
    Thanks
    Congrats on your new D170.

Looks like a nice machine!!

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements