Like Tree190Likes

Thread: X475 blues

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 Times in 1,068 Posts

X475 blues

yesterday while mowing my yard, my 475 just up and shut off on me. i changed my fuel filter today. but no good, still won't fire. even tried dumping a bit of gas down in the carb. good or bad idea no go-so i pulled a plug out-dry as a bone. i have fire at the plug!
    i have been studying my tech manual since. it seems it might be a gas solenoid or i guess a fuel shut offis what it's called. anyways it clicks when the key is turned on. kinda acts like the way my 2520 did-when the diode blew out on me.

the tech manual shows u to check it with a muti-meter. i have one-but have never master it. heck i don't even understand all the stuff printed on the front of it.
    bad-bad time to break down for sure-as jd is backed up for at least 2 to 3 weeks now. i can mow with my 2520 once it dries out at least.
    but for once i'dl like to fix it myself-if possible. i'm gonna go back and fine where or if any diode's are in this wiring harness. will check back in later. thanks -as i think i need help.
    Gizmo2 and TJR345 like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    WELL i have my seat pan off now. i have done all my fuses-ok. i haven't found the doide yet. but after i had the seat pan off, i rehooked the seat switch, and turned on the key-i then took the fuel line off-past the filter-jeez-fuel shot out of like a missile.
    so now tomorrow i will try to take the fuel shut off. i don't know how i'm gonna fit my fingers into that hole-but i will try.

if i want my gas gauge to work-it will be a $300 bill for everything. its on the way.

i was hoping for some help from chuck or travs maybe.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2 and TJR345 like this.
    jim

king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    So lets take it step by step.. She cut off. You gave it a lil fuel..no go. It has spark. It outta go. At least for a sec.
    If it aint..isnt getting fuel to the cylinder.. Open/closed valves or no rotation of the crank/pistons.
    You verified spark.. Check
    Verified fuel.. Check.
    Now verify crank/piston rotation/valves moving and make sure your flywheel key didnt shear.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2, DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Thanks
    Jim,You'll want to put the meter on DC volts to check for power.Put it on a setting like 20 volts (each meter is different) and follow the trouble chart.It could be a relay or the fuel shut off itself.Another thing to check is the wires in the wire loom.If they rub anywhere it could be shorting out.I had a main wire feed on my x595 that was rubbing on a bolt head and caused a short on a wire that rubbed through the casing.Give it a good looking over before throwing parts at it.
    Tom
    Gizmo2, DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    So lets take it step by step.. She cut off. You gave it a lil fuel..no go. It has spark. It outta go. At least for a sec.
    If it aint..isnt getting fuel to the cylinder.. Open/closed valves or no rotation of the crank/pistons.
    You verified spark.. Check
    Verified fuel.. Check.
    Now verify crank/piston rotation/valves moving and make sure your flywheel key didnt shear.

thanks for answering-

once i got my seat pan off--i have fuel coming past my gas filter. so my next step is to try and take the fuel shut off.
    i hope i can take that off-without much trouble-but boy-there isn't much room to work there.

i think i will try giving a little fuel again-as i poured it in the wrong spot- i thought that i was pouring down the throat-but here it ran out on top of the carb. my fault on that. i then several hrs later realized what i had down wrong.

it cranks ok-it has all the little lights come on ok-in the dash-i have tried it with out the brake on-no go. so i feel the brake sensor is working -ok. pto switch if up won't let it crank over-push it down-it cranks.

i was reading in my tech manual-and it said if ur spark is a little yellow-change out ur plugs-so i will try that tomorrow-as i have new ones-from last yrs maintenance kit.

last i am working on looking at the diodes-to locate them-as that is what was wrong with my 2520 3 yrs ago-to as why it wouldn't run.

my next question-if i pour a little gas down into the carb. will it try to run with the fuels hut off-not working right?

thanks a million as like i said jd is backed up 2 to 3 weeks right now.bad time to break down.
    Gizmo2 and TJR345 like this.
    jim

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    Even without the fuel shut off working, as long as you have spark and compression, it outta fire off. The fuel shut off is really an anti backfire solenoid. It cuts off fuel when key switch is off but motor still rotating on shut down.

Last edited by xcopterdoc; 05-16-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Even without the fuel shut off working, as long as you have spark and compression, it outta fire off. The fuel shut off is really an anti backfire solenoid. It cuts off fuel when key switch is off but motor still rotating on shut down.

ok-good-i will try the fuel in the carb. tomorrow.
    if it won't fire-i will then look to see if the pistons are moving up and down.

thanks a lot. i really appreciate it.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    jim

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-06-2018 @ 10:31 PM
    Thanks
    I'm not an X series guy, I have a 455. But just a thought, have you checked the engine oil level? I believe my parents old 445 had a low oil shutoff switch.
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Instead of pouring fuel down the carb use some kind of flammable carb cleaner or starting fluid SPRAY. Just give it a good shot then try to start the engine. If your no start problem is fuel related it should run momentarily. Sometimes you can keep it running by giving it repeated shots. Back in my tech days we had a full size Dodge van that would just cut out randomly from no fuel. We drove it back to the shop by doing this. My coworker drove while I sat in the passenger seat. I was feeding the throttle body with a can of carb cleaner. We had the engine cover and air cleaner removed.

This is the reason you should use spray instead of pouring in liquid gas. Engines run on a mixture of air and fuel vapor. The heat from the running engine vaporizes the liquid fuel droplets as soon as they leave the carb. Pouring any type of liquid into a cold engine can hydro lock it. Air and fuel vapor can be compressed liquid can not. Hydro locking the engine can shear your flywheel key or worse. Cause internal engine damage.

Good luck
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp_Fox View Post
    I'm not an X series guy, I have a 455. But just a thought, have you checked the engine oil level? I believe my parents old 445 had a low oil shutoff switch.
    it does not leak any oil-and hasn't used a drop in the 3 yrs i have owned it. but i will pull the stick-just to double check it. thanks for replying-oh-all good answers to a non-running machine.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    jim

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast