Which new lawnmower?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Which new lawnmower?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-16-2016 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks

Which new lawnmower?

I am considering buying a new mower for my home and business use. Thinking along the lines of a four wheel steer, whats the pro's and con's on this? Know for a fact I wan't at least the X324 with the K58 tranny but maybe 4x4 should be included too? I am all ears on this and would consider up to the X749. Anyone have one of these 4ws models X324, 534, 724, 749?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    I don't have the new model of the X7xx, but I do have a 445. That is the model the new ones replaced. I love the tractor for my grass (400' by 300') but I don't know if the deck is up to a commercial application. If you could get that machine with the 7 iron deck, I would think it would do much better. I think the 7 iron deck spins the blades faster.

Our 4110 has the 7 iron and the cut is 10 times better!

I know little about the all wheel steer, but if its only for mowing, why not a zero turn?

Brian

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I am debating this with myself just as Builder is can't get the 7 iron with the AWS, not enough clearance for the wheels to steer. I live in the mountains and we have lots of steep hills which makes me leary of a ztr mower.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    You just said 5 words to me that make me drool....
    I live in the mountains
    Do you have any pictures of your yard? I keep telling my wife that we are going to move out to the mountains..... She keeps telling me to go find some land. I wish I had time to do it!

I have one sort of steep area behind my barn and I turn on it with my 445. I would not turn on it, and I avoid it with my 3720. I would never want all wheel steer since my 445 can almost turn on a dime... IMHO, I would go for the better deck over the AWS.

Duanne is going to have a hard time buying anything green. He used to help me moderate on one of my other sites when he was a die hard ford guy. Now fords are the devil to him. Don't over think it!

Brian

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Brian,
    My own yard is fairly level, but some of my customers yards are fairly steep. I will post a pic of my yard that I cleared and smoothed last summer. This part of my yard is 1 year old last week, before this it had a gulley running across the top right quarter of it. It also had the various mounds and rocks so common with the Rocky Mountain region. Lots of brush, Juniper and Pine trees that were very crooked.

This was rototilled, boxbladed and planed smooth. Sprinklers were added this spring. Next project is putting up a fence for the dogs and a new 306010 shop building.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails house 002.jpg  

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    That looks like a ton of yard to cut. Its beautiful!

I would want nothing less than a diesel x700 sieries. I seen a nice Z925 at a dealer last night and that might be something to look at also. If you load the rear tires it might work out better on the hills. What ever you buy, you are going to want some speed to get it done and make money.

Will you dealer let you test models?

Brian

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Brian,
    I can test out whatever the dealer has no problem but most of what he has are larger tractors.

I am pretty sure I can cut my own lawn faster with an X748-9 than a 2305 or 2320 due to range gears on the 2xxx tractors. Also I look at lawn work in two ways, initially doing the sitework and prep, and then mowing and maintaining. The 4520 and 110tlb are great for the initial work and the X7XX mowers are great for mowing, cleaning and reseeding.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-05-2012 @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks
    The 7 iron is the best cutting deck in the business - even in the ZTR arena....nothing handles wet conditions, or high vacuum applications (mulching, etc) than these decks....I have many Wright standers, and others and its the 7 iron that stands out on top....

That aside, your cutting speed between the X7xx or 2320/2520 will be about the same....why? your going to be moving and bouncing around with any of them....X7xx is more nimple, tighter radius but you have a open golf course there, so get the machine that does more out of the gate.....2xxx series

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    Before I got my 4520, I ran through all the directions I could go if my B21 or JD318 garden tractor died. The only option for replacing the 318 would be the X748. Wanted diesel and 4WD (for the rare but challenging snow removal). So what was up in the air was the 4 wheel steering or not. The turning radius difference between the 748 and 749 was 25" vs 21".

There was a "how close can you mow" spec of 28" radius vs. 6" radius. I've seen a lot of trees with nicked bottoms from the deck hitting it. Around here, a nicked bottom means bugs in a few years, and the tree has a high probability of falling down in 10 years. Now you can have the same damage from a weed wacker too. So the 4WS vs. normal is a how good are you at being careful and what do you do with the areas around the trunk of the tree. You can survive an error or two with a weed wacker, not so with the deck. My choices are also influenced by landscaping that has very few trees to mow around, and my being content with a little boarder of grass around them. Classic lawn-yard-field trade offs. You have to contend with both your aesthetics and those of your customers.

The 7-iron vs normal deck choices are both straight forward and agonizing- how much to do have to cut and how often. The constraint of no 7-iron with AWS compounds the agony.

Steve, based on your picture I can understand why the 4WS is enticing. With the right operator (that would be you), you don't have to go back and do anything where your trees are. No mulch, no weed wack, just trees in grass and mow it, once around each tree and your done. If your customers want closer than that, they can pay for a hand held grass clipper to get the last 1".

If all your areas you mow are this clean and have these sorts of obstacles, I'd just get the 62" deck and save time. If you manage to wear out that deck to the point of you'd have to buy a new one, you'd have to buy another deck but you would have saved a lot of time over the years. Time is a precious thing, and it tends to win out when I'm wrestling with trade offs.

Pete
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

12. Top | #10
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Thanks
    Hey guys,
    Like Brian stated,the zero turn might be OK on the hills. A coworker of mine told me he'd never get another,and a friend of mine got rid of one after one week. It ended up in his pond which is at the bottom of a hill!! He wasn't injured,but it could have been bad. He got a tractor. I never ran one,but from what these guys think of them,zero turns and hills just don't jive.
    Just a little info.

Greg
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK