I have about 32 hours on my new X738 and have a few concerns regarding the Kawasaki engine. I've always heard how smooth and reliable they are but I'm not so sure about the smooth part.
1) There seems to be quite a shake when starting or stopping the engine, almost like a loose/broken engine mount, but I don't see either. I start and stop at 1/2 throttle per the manual.
2) I have to advance the throttle lever almost 40% up the scale before the engine speed will increase at all.
3) At the lowest engine speed and slightly above that, the engine is not all that smooth with a fair amount of vibration. Nearing half throttle is getting a much better and 3/4 throttle and above it is fairly smooth with minimal vibration. Is this typical?
4) If I advance the throttle or pull it back too fast the engine wants miss or skip a beat and then the governor seems to correct and the speed settles into the throttle setting. If I change throttle position slowly either way this does not happen.
5) If I've been running full throttle (mowing) for a while then shut it down (from half throttle per manual) and attempt to restart several minutes later the engine will quickly fluctuate the rpm down then up as seen on the tachometer. Like its going to die but the governor takes over and brings the rpm back up to the throttle setting. This goes on for about 6 cycles then everything evens out and the engine runs properly. Seem like I can avoid this by letting the engine run at half throttle (as indicated on tach) for a few minutes before shutting it down.
With respect to items 3, 4 and 5 my dealer just tells me these engines are real tight when new and when I get past the break in period (50 hours or so) this stuff should sort out. He claims that items 1 and 2 are a normal characteristic. Not so sure I believe him. Would appreciate some input from other owners of these Kawasaki engines as to their experiences.