Oil dipstick tube cracked and leaking on LA115

Thread: Oil dipstick tube cracked and leaking on LA115

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-02-2017 @ 05:35 PM
    Thanks

Question Oil dipstick tube cracked and leaking on LA115

Hi guys,

I have a John Deere LA115 that has a crack in the oil dipstick tube maybe 2 inches below the top. The crack is my own fault caused by something else I was doing. I've ordered the part (looks like the one in this link) but it's not coming for about a week.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDet...=b314c106&mr=0

In the meantime, I tried to temporarily put some duct tape over the crack (since it leaks oil naturally) and after about 100 pieces of tape - it is still leaking! I am doing this as just a temporary fix so that I can mow my lawn this week. This tube is hooked up to the fuel pump so I believe it sucks out oil from this (and therefore is somewhat pressurized) which I believe is why it's so hard to seal with tape. Is that assumption correct?

Also, how hard is it to replace this oil dipstick tube? It looks straightforward but there's a silver square (ground I'm assuming) with some wires hooked up to it and I want to make sure I install it right and not break anything else.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Annorax View Post
    Hi guys,

I have a John Deere LA115 that has a crack in the oil dipstick tube maybe 2 inches below the top. The crack is my own fault caused by something else I was doing. I've ordered the part (looks like the one in this link) but it's not coming for about a week.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDet...=b314c106&mr=0

In the meantime, I tried to temporarily put some duct tape over the crack (since it leaks oil naturally) and after about 100 pieces of tape - it is still leaking! I am doing this as just a temporary fix so that I can mow my lawn this week. This tube is hooked up to the fuel pump so I believe it sucks out oil from this (and therefore is somewhat pressurized) which I believe is why it's so hard to seal with tape. Is that assumption correct?

Also, how hard is it to replace this oil dipstick tube? It looks straightforward but there's a silver square (ground I'm assuming) with some wires hooked up to it and I want to make sure I install it right and not break anything else.
    I'd recommend this sealer tape. Don't remember what the name was but quite a few companys make it. It comes on a roll like electrical tape and it's made in a couple different colors. However it doesn't have adhesive on one side. The tape sticks to itself. You should be able to find it in most auto parts stores. Have also seen in the plumbing supply store. That stuff was Blue Monster brand. The stuff is made for emergency repairs like a leaking pipe. I used it to wrap up a dry rotten hose to the vapor canister on my Jeep Wrangler. Clean up the dipstick tube and wrap it up good.

Most lawn mower engines have a pulse fuel pump. This is to bring fuel from the tank up to the carb/engine. (Obviously) This type of pump will always be connected to the crank case. Usually by a hose. As the pistons move downward in the engine they build pressure inside of the crank case. When the pistons move upward the reverse happens. This pulse of pressure is what drives the fuel pump. This pressure is what keeps blowing you tape off. So when you wrap it be sure to go all the way around the tube.

The tube should not be hard to replace. Just be sure to put everything back the way you found it. Take some pictures before you pull it apart. Also be careful with the O ring on the end of the tube. Put a little clean oil or some grease on the O-ring. This will help it slide into the case.

Good luck
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 05-28-2017 at 10:05 AM.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    07-02-2017 @ 05:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you for the advice. The oil dipstick tube isn't only a tube but has a flat piece of plastic attached to it so I can't fully wrap anything around it.

Initially I put a piece of duct tape over the hole and was able to mow for about 30 minutes before I started seeing a lot of blue smoke - which I know means burning oil. I immediately turned it off and saw the duct tape melted and the hole was exposed, blowing oil everywhere. I then put a ton more tape over the hole but it is still leaking - I have no idea how I was able to mow for about 30 minutes with 1 piece of tape without any problems. My guess is over time, the oil got hotter and pressure increased.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Annorax View Post
    Thank you for the advice. The oil dipstick tube isn't only a tube but has a flat piece of plastic attached to it so I can't fully wrap anything around it.

Initially I put a piece of duct tape over the hole and was able to mow for about 30 minutes before I started seeing a lot of blue smoke - which I know means burning oil. I immediately turned it off and saw the duct tape melted and the hole was exposed, blowing oil everywhere. I then put a ton more tape over the hole but it is still leaking - I have no idea how I was able to mow for about 30 minutes with 1 piece of tape without any problems. My guess is over time, the oil got hotter and pressure increased.

Took a better look at your link pic. I see what you are saying. Your only other option is some kind of glue or epoxy. Any time you want any type of adhesive to work every surface needs to be 100% free of any kind of oil or lubricant. Even finger prints are enough to keep it from sticking.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements