• 3 Post By ColonyPark

Thread: painting my X-475 deck

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,362 Times in 1,067 Posts

painting my X-475 deck

while the X-475 is in the shop getting fixed. i wanted to clean and check my deck out. so today i picked up by the 2520 and carried down to my basement garage-where my pressure washer's are at. gave it a good cleaning with it. carried back up to the big garage-laid it out on a set of saw horses-and began by wire brushing the underside of the deck. if this thing makkes 5 yrs it's gonna be close. its still pitting badly.

here's a pic with it wiped down with thinner-ready to paint tomorrow-when i findClick image for larger version. 

Name:	upside deck off the x-475.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	378026 my paint gun boxes.

now its been several yrs since i painted anything, what do i need to add to my JD yellow paint(gallon can) i seem to remember mixing something in a measuring plastic cup-and then pouring that into the cup for the paint gun. i have a set of them low pressure guns-when i find out where i put them.
    i can look on the paint can tomorrow-just figured u fellas could steer me in the right direction-ok. thanks.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 8 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Thanks
    It was probably a hardener that you added. Good luck with it Jim! We need to see pics when you are done! Sorry, but you know the rules!
    Last edited by raco232; 05-29-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, Levi and 1 others like this.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    while the X-475 is in the shop getting fixed. i wanted to clean and check my deck out. so today i picked up by the 2520 and carried down to my basement garage-where my pressure washer's are at. gave it a good cleaning with it. carried back up to the big garage-laid it out on a set of saw horses-and began by wire brushing the underside of the deck. if this thing makkes 5 yrs it's gonna be close. its still pitting badly.

here's a pic with it wiped down with thinner-ready to paint tomorrow-when i findClick image for larger version. 

Name:	upside deck off the x-475.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	378026 my paint gun boxes.

now its been several yrs since i painted anything, what do i need to add to my JD yellow paint(gallon can) i seem to remember mixing something in a measuring plastic cup-and then pouring that into the cup for the paint gun. i have a set of them low pressure guns-when i find out where i put them.
    i can look on the paint can tomorrow-just figured u fellas could steer me in the right direction-ok. thanks.
    Sometimes you have to thin the paint out before it will spray. Some of the newer paints need a hardener or catalyst mixed in. Kind of like epoxy.
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,362 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Sometimes you have to thin the paint out before it will spray. Some of the newer paints need a hardener or catalyst mixed in. Kind of like epoxy.
    i for the life of me-can't remember what i bought to mix in the paint.

i have to find my paint guns first-or use a elcheapo paint brush thing

i do remember yrs back-when i used my Devilbiss paint gun-that i bought from Sear's-i added thinner-that i got from John Deere.
    since that gun had been broken for yrs-i bought a set of them low pressure guns-paint cannister is on top.

isn't it crazy how a guy can forget things.
    Last edited by BigJim55; 05-29-2017 at 09:42 PM.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    07-10-2019 @ 01:14 AM
    Thanks

Spray paint

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    i for the life of me-can't remember what i bought to mix in the paint.

i have to find my paint guns first-or use a elcheapo paint brush thing

i do remember yrs back-when i used my Devilbiss paint gun-that i bought from Sear's-i added thinner-that i got from John Deere.
    since that gun had been broken for yrs-i bought a set of them low pressure guns-paint cannister is on top.

isn't crazy how a guy can forget things.
    The directions for thinning are on the paint can. Get whatever it says to use as a thinner for spraying or as a catalyst or hardener. You'll need some of the correct thinner to clean your sprayer when you're finished.

Be sure to pay attention to the paint cure and second coat times in accordance with the instructions on the paint can. That'll make your job turn out better and it may save your sprayer from clogging up.
    Last edited by Minuteman17; 05-29-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    Gizmo2, Levi and Titleist1 like this.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Minuteman17 For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (05-29-2017)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    The JD yellow tends to be kind of thin. You should be able to get by with just hardener for painting.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MDrew For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (05-29-2017)

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman17 View Post
    The directions for thinning are on the paint can. Get whatever it says to use as a thinner for spraying or as a catalyst or hardener. You'll need some of the correct thinner to clean your sprayer when you're finished.

Be sure to pay attention to the paint cure and second coat times in accordance with the instructions on the paint can. That'll make your job turn out better and it may save your sprayer from clogging up.

Hopefully you don't have hard dry paint all over the instructions. Have never seen an open paint can without some on the side of it. lol

Another question. How old is this paint? Seeing you said that you haven't painted anything in years. Paint like most things doesn't last forever. Especially after the can is opened. Might be time for a new can. I'd hate to do all that work only to have a problem in the home stretch.

Also if your deck is really rusty and pitted I'd use a rust stopper first. Something like POR15 instead of primer. From what I remember it's not UV stable. So you need to top coat it with something anyway. This should stop the rust for the longest period of time.
    Disregard the above if you were planning on doing this anyway. lol

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Well BigJim, it's nice of you to go to so much trouble. Only thing I can come up with is rattle can paint. Or in your case...a brush.
    Good luck with that.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 956 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Well BigJim, it's nice of you to go to so much trouble. Only thing I can come up with is rattle can paint. Or in your case...a brush.
    Good luck with that.
    Same here Levi. Jim are you just painting the underside?
    Gizmo2, DRobinson and Levi like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements