Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Mowing with my JD is getting expensive

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 AM
    Thanks

Mowing with my JD is getting expensive

I lived in the city all my life. Mowed with a walk behind mower that only cost me 1 gallon of gas, 20oz of engine oil and a spark plug every season.
    I moved out to the country last fall. Bought a new x738 with a 60hc mower deck and a 54" snow plow with hydraulic kit.
    Then the spending bug hit me. Bought the click-n-go attachment with 6 suitcase weights just in case if I need extra traction for plowing snow. Bought the arm rest kit. I reget buying the arm rest because I wish they were longer so they would fit me better. Buying maintenance kits, extra set of mower blades, 5 gallons of transmission fluid with filter. Today I ordered a mulching kit for my mower deck and front wheel fenders to help keep my mower deck cleaner. Then I will probably buy an extra set of mulching blades. Plus I already used 15 gallons of gas this year and mowing season not even halfway over.
    Welcome to country Life......
    Last edited by ultra7350; 06-01-2017 at 05:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:32 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra7350 View Post
    I lived in the city all my life. Mowed with a walk behind mower that only cost me 1 gallon of gas, 20oz of engine oil and a spark plug every season.
    I moved out to the country last fall. Bought a new x738 with a 60hc mower deck and a 54" snow plow with hydraulic kit.
    Then the spending bug hit me. Bought the click-n-go attachment with 6 suitcase weights just in case if I need extra traction for plowing snow. Bought the arm rest kit. I reget buying the arm rest because I wish they were longer so they would fit me better. Buying maintenance kits, extra set of mower blades, 5 gallons of transmission fluid with filter. Today I ordered a mulching kit for my mower deck and front wheel fenders to help keep my mower deck cleaner. Then I will probably buy an extra set of mulching blades. Plus I already used 15 gallons of gas this year and mowing season not even halfway over.
    It's not only expensive, it's time consuming. I spent over 6 hours mowing today and didn't even get around to trimming. And, you have to be a part-time mechanic and maintenance man.

Mrs. Rod and I wouldn't have it any other way. Nothing beats watching the grandkids running wild. Besides them, all we want to see from our back yard is the pool, grass, trees, hills and the barn-- NOT NEIGHBORS.
    2011 Deere 3720 Cab | 2007 Deere 3720 Open Station | 1974 Deere 2030 | 1980 Deere 2440
    1998 Massey Ferguson 240S | 1975 Ford 3000 | 1972 Ford 2000 | 1964 Oliver 550 | 1960 Ford 841 Powermaster
    1958 International Cub LoBoy | 1956 Ferguson F-40 | 1954 Allis Chalmers WD45 | 1954 Ferguson TO-30
    X720 Ultimate | X540 | GT225
    2014 825i Deere Gator | 2008 850D Deere Gator

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rod330 For This Useful Post:

wwivhobbit (08-24-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    All you have to do is figure out what you use to have to pay that you don't know and it will get cheaper and you will feel better

Any HOA fees? Any extra in city limit taxes, fees, etc? Gotta be something? Make up stuff lol
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Well you can always go back to the push mower. lol

I'll take that 738 off your hands if you don't know what to do with it. My trailer is already hooked up to my Wrangler. Be right over.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 8 others like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,055 Posts
    15 gallons?? That's it? You do use it right? I go through 20 gallons of diesel every 4 weeks in the warm time of the year. In the cold times I go through 20 gallons total. I'd go stare crazy if all I used was what you use. I think you need more attachments. We can help you spend that money for you.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    05-16-2019 @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    We live outside the city limits so when we bought the tractor our tax rate was only 1.83%. If we had our choice we would live at our farm with no neighbors close by, maybe one day
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 9 others like this.
    2014 John Deere 5100E H240 FEL 6' Rakemaster Root Grapple, 2016 Woods PSS72 food plot seeder, 2013 John Deere XUV 550 S4 2015 Orsi 12' boom mower with flail head, 2016 John Deere 4105 with front end loader, 2016 John Deere MX6, 2018 Everything Attachments 55" Wicked Grapple. 2018 Everything Attachments Severe Extreme Duty 6' Landscape Rake, 2018 John Deere 1025R TLB with 54D quick connect deck [SIZE=2][COLOR="#008000"]

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    12-04-2018 @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    15 gallons?? That's it? You do use it right? I go through 20 gallons of diesel every 4 weeks in the warm time of the year. In the cold times I go through 20 gallons total. I'd go stare crazy if all I used was what you use. I think you need more attachments. We can help you spend that money for you.
    Y'all are all making me jealous. I'll go thru 20 gallons in 4 hours. Last two days been burning around 25-30 gallons a day on this mini ex

Brett
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 7 others like this.
    2017 5100E CAB H260
    ---FRONTIER BB4296
    ---MX15
    ---MX8
    ---EA 72" GRAPPLE

2017 KUBOTA ZD1211R
    2017 KUBOTA RTV-X1100C
    4K winch, 2”lift, 27s

GONE AND FORGOTTEN
    2013 AND 2014 5055E CAB H240

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:27 PM
    Thanks
    We moved to the "country" in 91 and would not have it any other way. Both kids are gone now but close enough if we need help. Wife talks about down sizing but I ignore her. Pretending I don't hear her. I love it.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    We moved to the "country" in 91 and would not have it any other way. Both kids are gone now but close enough if we need help. Wife talks about down sizing but I ignore her. Pretending I don't hear her. I love it.
    When I'm too old to take care of this place I'll hire someone to do it. No way, never moving back to a city house.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
    Y'all are all making me jealous. I'll go thru 20 gallons in 4 hours. Last two days been burning around 25-30 gallons a day on this mini ex

Brett
    I wouldn't mine that problem for a few days. I could make real good use of it here.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast