Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick 48" Accel / Mulch Kit Question:

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-22-2019 @ 04:33 PM
    Thanks

Quick 48" Accel / Mulch Kit Question:

Greetings,

I have received 2 different answers to this in recent days from different dealers. When you have an Accel Deck with the Mulch Control Gate installed do you mow with the gate always closed, or only to prevent the clippings from being blown into flower beds etc....?

I have been mowing (1/3 height, dry) and seem to be getting a lot of buildup under the deck rather quickly. With the gate open, the small mulched clippings shoots out about 24".

Am I using the mulching kit incorrectly by having the gate closed at all times? My Freedom 42 had no side discharge at all.

Thanks.
    2016 X390 48" Accel Deck with Mulch Control.
    2003 LX277 42" Freedom Deck.
    1986 130 30" Deck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post
    Greetings,

I have received 2 different answers to this in recent days from different dealers. When you have an Accel Deck with the Mulch Control Gate installed do you mow with the gate always closed, or only to prevent the clippings from being blown into flower beds etc....?

I have been mowing (1/3 height, dry) and seem to be getting a lot of buildup under the deck rather quickly. With the gate open, the small mulched clippings shoots out about 24".

Am I using the mulching kit incorrectly by having the gate closed at all times? My Freedom 42 had no side discharge at all.

Thanks.
    From what I read about your setup. The left blade is always 100% mulching. The center and right blades can be mulching or discharge depending on the levers position. So to keep grass out of the flower beds I'd say keep it closed.

When mulching you will always get more junk stuck under the deck. This is what I found mulching at my old house. Haven't been mulching in years. Probably due to the higher volume of grass that I cut.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 06-02-2017 at 05:10 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

Glideslope (06-04-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 05:29 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 54" Accel with the mulch kit . I use it like I want to . If I want to mulch , I close the gate . If I want to discharge , I leave it open . It works either way for me , and like H-D said , it's the nature of the beast to have more build up when mulching . My .02 .
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

6. The Following User Says Thank You to romcjr For This Useful Post:

Glideslope (06-04-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    The only problem mulching this time of year is the grass is growing so fast.You really can't mulch the lawn when it's tall.I've been mowing 2 times in a 10-11 day period.My neighbor who mulches is out there 3-4 times in the same time frame to keep up with the grass.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TJR345 For This Useful Post:

Glideslope (06-04-2017)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    The only problem mulching this time of year is the grass is growing so fast.You really can't mulch the lawn when it's tall.I've been mowing 2 times in a 10-11 day period.My neighbor who mulches is out there 3-4 times in the same time frame to keep up with the grass.
    Agreed. But I've been mowing no more than 1/3 of the blade. I can mow any time the weather is good (semiretired.) I'll just keep an eye on it. I love the deck. It's the best cut any Deere Deck has ever given me.
    1986 130 30" Deck.

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Agreed. But I've been mowing no more than 1/3 of the blade. I can mow any time the weather is good (semiretired.) I'll just keep an eye on it. I love the deck. It's the best cut any Deere Deck has ever given me.

Maybe try a set of Gator blades. I put a set on my 54" deck last season. They seemed to work well. This season I put the stock ones back on. Because they were sharpened and ready to go. After using them again I really appreciate the Gators. They do seem to cut better and chop up the grass into smaller pieces. The steel is also a little thicker.
    However I'm only ever running the deck side discharge. Even doing it this way the clippings seemed to disappear.

At my old house I mulched all the time. With my L108/42" deck and a JS61 walk behind. Both had just the stock blades and seemed to work great. When I moved to the trailer hood everything was way over grown. After hacking down the jungle and getting the old grass up I tried it again. I was always getting grass blowing out from under the deck in all directions. It would also bog the engine down. Even with only cutting a small amount of growth off each time. So I abandoned the mulch plug and went side discharge ever since.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

Glideslope (06-05-2017)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Maybe try a set of Gator blades. I put a set on my 54" deck last season. They seemed to work well. This season I put the stock ones back on. Because they were sharpened and ready to go. After using them again I really appreciate the Gators. They do seem to cut better and chop up the grass into smaller pieces. The steel is also a little thicker.
    However I'm only ever running the deck side discharge. Even doing it this way the clippings seemed to disappear.

At my old house I mulched all the time. With my L108/42" deck and a JS61 walk behind. Both had just the stock blades and seemed to work great. When I moved to the trailer hood everything was way over grown. After hacking down the jungle and getting the old grass up I tried it again. I was always getting grass blowing out from under the deck in all directions. It would also bog the engine down. Even with only cutting a small amount of growth off each time. So I abandoned the mulch plug and went side discharge ever since.
    Yes. My Dealer mentioned Gator Blades. Thanks for the advise. I'll mull it over and maybe put them on at the 25hr Transaxle Service.
    I know quite a few people who cut with them.
    1986 130 30" Deck.

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes. My Dealer mentioned Gator Blades. Thanks for the advise. I'll mull it over and maybe put them on at the 25hr Transaxle Service.
    I know quite a few people who cut with them.
    I'm definitely going to only buy the Gators from now on. Not that I'm in a hurry to spend the money. lol

Thought the first trans service is at 50 hours. Unless JD changed this on the newer models.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

Glideslope (06-06-2017)

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 1,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Thought the first trans service is at 50 hours. Unless JD changed this on the newer models.
    For the X390:

Break-In after 50 Hours

• Change transmission oil and filter - X370, 390, and X394.
    • Check rear wheel bolt torque, 65 lb·ft.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Glideslope (06-06-2017)

18. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    For the X390:

Break-In after 50 Hours

• Change transmission oil and filter - X370, 390, and X394.
    • Check rear wheel bolt torque, 65 lb·ft.
    That's what I thought.
    Now I'm mulling over the 200 hour service on my X540. I'm around 180 hours now. Do I do it at 200 or wait until 250 hours? Seeing 250 will actually be 200 hours since I changed it last. Think I'm waiting till the deck comes off for winter. Might be over 200 but not over 250 so I should be safe.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast