STX38 PTO problems

Thread: STX38 PTO problems

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-06-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks

STX38 PTO problems

I have a 20+ year old STX38 which has been working well with the exception of a problem that cropped up the other week. The PTO for the mower deck would kick in but would disengage after a short period. Upon inspecting the electrical connection to the PTO. I took it to a local shop and he said it was just the wired connection at the PTO. The plastic clip had burned thru and the metal clip itself was damaged from heat. He replaced the clip and connector and when i got it home it worked fine for an hour or 2. Looking at the PTO again I see that it has happened again pretty much identical to before. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    PTO clutch is likely drawing too much current. If a current draw test confirms this then the clutch needs to be replaced and plug fixed again.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-06-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    PTO clutch is likely drawing too much current. If a current draw test confirms this then the clutch needs to be replaced and plug fixed again.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Thanks for your speedy reply. Had to get a new multimeter as old one was fried and found the pto is drawing between 3 and 4 amps which I understand is ok. Plugged it back in minus the melted clip for a brief cut. ( The melting of the clip had disconnected the PTO ).Worked ok and no discerable heat damage observed so I guess I will take it easy on the mower and see how it goes. Thanks again, I'm quite clueless when it comes to electrical problems.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    07-29-2019 @ 07:10 AM
    Thanks
    Tom I'm in the same boat with STX38 electrical problems, I'm going to have to rewire most of the tractor. Since you have the same tractor would you care to take a picture of the wiring off of your battery? I'm trying to figure out what the purple wires coming off of the harness connect to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    The PTO on the STX38 isn't adjustable? I just picked one up the other day. I haven't looked at it yet. I got it more for the rear tires than anything else.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-25-2018 @ 07:35 AM
    Thanks

STX38 PTO Clutch

Hey gang - this thread seems a bit like my issues. I have a STX38 black deck and my PTO clutch stopped working. i found the PTO switch to be bad so i replaced that. I started the mower, engaged the PTO switch and it engaged the mower deck. It ran great - for about 5 minutes then the PTO quite again. I turned the PTO switch off and back on and it pulled pulled apart. The knob pulled out of the PTO switch and showed obvious signs of melted plastic. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Update to readers -

Old/current PTO clutch tested out at 0.5 ohms which it should be 3-10 ohms. This explains why the PTO switch has shorted and fried the PTO switch. I have a new PTO clutch and switch coming. The final results are pending. The old PTO clutch came off hard but it can be done with a breaker bar. Be careful not to round off the PTO clutch bolt like i did. I'll give a final report once I've tested it out.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    PTO clutch replaced and things are back to normal.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements