Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: X300 won't go up hill anymore.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-15-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks

X300 won't go up hill anymore.

I had noticed over the past while my x300 seemed to be going a bit slower, yesterday my wife mentioned it had a different sound to it. Any way I have a large ditch on my property and had cut the grass in it multiple times over the past 10 years and no issues. yesterday the tractor would not climb the incline to get out of the ditch. It has 550 hours and engine oil has been change every 50 but have not done anything with rear axle trans since you kind of can't. It did look like there may be a drain and I may be able to top up but not sure. Manual says call dealership. I am open to any suggestions.
    Dano
    2014 JD 1023E
    2008 JD X300
    Terex PT30
    1949 Ferguson TE20

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Boy View Post
    I had noticed over the past while my x300 seemed to be going a bit slower, yesterday my wife mentioned it had a different sound to it. Any way I have a large ditch on my property and had cut the grass in it multiple times over the past 10 years and no issues. yesterday the tractor would not climb the incline to get out of the ditch. It has 550 hours and engine oil has been change every 50 but have not done anything with rear axle trans since you kind of can't. It did look like there may be a drain and I may be able to top up but not sure. Manual says call dealership. I am open to any suggestions.
    Good chance your transmission is cooked. Your transmission has no way of changing/checking the fluid while installed in the tractor. The fluid could be burned up from years of use. Your light duty transmission doesn't handle steep hills or towing heavy loads well.
    The other possibilities are
    Worn drive belt
    The drive pulley on top of the transmission is loose or the belt tensioning pulley is bad.
    Linkage problem for forward/reverse or brake pedals.
    gbnpp05 likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Good chance your transmission is cooked. Your transmission has no way of changing/checking the fluid while installed in the tractor. The fluid could be burned up from years of use. Your light duty transmission doesn't handle steep hills or towing heavy loads well.
    The other possibilities are
    Worn drive belt
    The drive pulley on top of the transmission is loose or the belt tensioning pulley is bad.
    Linkage problem for forward/reverse or brake pedals.

Those kind of checked out so really thinking/hoping there is and easy fix. Been looking at a K66 but 3000 to get one up here is ouch!!! Rest or tractor is fine so may go that way. I do used a dethatcher that I made, a roller and a sweeper at different times of the year and I have the snow blower for it as well. Maybe I am lucky it lasted this long?
    Dano
    2014 JD 1023E
    2008 JD X300
    Terex PT30
    1949 Ferguson TE20

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Thanks
    If you want to service You K46 transmission this will help you out
    How to do an oil change on a Tuff Torq K46 transaxle - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
    and if You decide to do a K66 Upgrade
    John Deere X300 K66 Upgrade project - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
    and here is a K70 Upgrade as well
    X300 --> now a Garden Tractor - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
    You can't ask the Guy that did the K70 Upgrade any questions as he is Deceased But he Left a lot of Pictures and directions how to do it
    Hope these links Help
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Great thanks for info. Will read it all. Think one of them I have read already but have yet to look at them.
    Dano
    2014 JD 1023E
    2008 JD X300
    Terex PT30
    1949 Ferguson TE20

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,181 Posts
    I'm guessing you've check the bypass lever to make certain it's pushed in completely?? Just a thought.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! The transmission might be damaged if the bypass valve lever is not pushed back to operating position before attempting to start the engine. Do not start or operate the machine with the bypass valve lever in the push position.
    Michael

'84 JD 750
    '08 JD Z445
    '71 JD 15 Chainsaw
    And a bunch of other stuff.

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Just waiting to hear what sort of parts come with upgrade kit. Will see what new K46 will cost as well (mine did do well for 9 years) I plan on moving in 3 (retire) and most people want tractor with house so they do not have to buy new one so maybe cheap out now and buy new once moved. Will see what a K46 will cost before I make that decision though.
    Dano
    2014 JD 1023E
    2008 JD X300
    Terex PT30
    1949 Ferguson TE20

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Listing on e-Bay for replacement K46's:

JOHN DEERE Genuine OEM Transmission MIA10959 X300 serial numbers 040001 & above

is the title of the listing.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks. Looked that up 878 not bad. Would end up about 1100 to my door I think.
    Dano
    2014 JD 1023E
    2008 JD X300
    Terex PT30
    1949 Ferguson TE20

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Those kind of checked out so really thinking/hoping there is and easy fix. Been looking at a K66 but 3000 to get one up here is ouch!!! Rest or tractor is fine so may go that way. I do used a dethatcher that I made, a roller and a sweeper at different times of the year and I have the snow blower for it as well. Maybe I am lucky it lasted this long?
    $3,000+ is a lot to spend on a 9 year old tractor.

Start with the simple things first. Especially the freewheeling lever. The drive belt and pulleys would be next. If it was never replaced it's way over due. Belt could be too loose (stretched) or the tensioning pulleys might not be making it tight enough. The pulleys could be cracked or broken. Also check the plastic fan on top of the transmission. Make sure it isn't broken or plugged with old grass. Either way it's a good sign that the transmission is toast. Also check if all the linkage rods are attached correctly.

However you have been using it as a garden tractor. This kind of use is hard on the transmission. The only way to know how much damage is done is too remove it. Do you feel comfortable doing this level of repairs?

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast