• 1 Post By H-D dealer dude
  • 2 Post By SkiToLive

Thread: PTO cuts off at low speed when using tiller

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-15-2017 @ 11:09 PM
    Thanks

PTO cuts off at low speed when using tiller

Running a 445 garden tractor with the 450 PTO tiller attachment. When I was tilling today the PTO would cut out at low speed even though I had not come to neutral. It seemed like I had to go too fast (for the tilling I wanted to do) for the PTO to stay engaged. I am aware of the cut out safety feature but the cut out problem today seemed excessive. The soil being tilled today had previously been tilled a few weeks back so there was no real load being applied to the tiller. My son complained that the PTO would cut out when he tilled that first time and I just thought it was his driving! Now I believe him. Come to think of it, this also happened when operating the front-mount snow thrower this winter.

Am interested to know if anyone has had this similar problem and what the remedies were.

Thanks in advance.
    PJR832 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiToLive View Post
    Running a 445 garden tractor with the 450 PTO tiller attachment. When I was tilling today the PTO would cut out at low speed even though I had not come to neutral. It seemed like I had to go too fast (for the tilling I wanted to do) for the PTO to stay engaged. I am aware of the cut out safety feature but the cut out problem today seemed excessive. The soil being tilled today had previously been tilled a few weeks back so there was no real load being applied to the tiller. My son complained that the PTO would cut out when he tilled that first time and I just thought it was his driving! Now I believe him. Come to think of it, this also happened when operating the front-mount snow thrower this winter.

Am interested to know if anyone has had this similar problem and what the remedies were.

Thanks in advance.
    When you say cut out at low speed. Do you mean the engine is running slow or the tractor is moving at a slower ground speed?
    By safety feature do you mean the PTO shuts down because of high engine temperature?
    PJR832 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Have you adjusted the PTO recently. With putting a load on it if not adjusted it could cut out. I have to do the one in my F525 about every two years.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    When you say cut out at low speed. Do you mean the engine is running slow or the tractor is moving at a slower ground speed?
    By safety feature do you mean the PTO shuts down because of high engine temperature?
    Not the high engine temperature feature. I should have been more precise. When you release the forward pedal to go into 'neutral' the PTO cuts off by default, right? Well, for me, I'll be travelling at a slow speed with no significant load on the machine (no overheat either) while tilling and the PTO only just shuts off.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J3 Driver View Post
    Have you adjusted the PTO recently. With putting a load on it if not adjusted it could cut out. I have to do the one in my F525 about every two years.
    Thanks, I'll look in to that as well.
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Not the high engine temperature feature. I should have been more precise. When you release the forward pedal to go into 'neutral' the PTO cuts off by default, right? Well, for me, I'll be travelling at a slow speed with no significant load on the machine (no overheat either) while tilling and the PTO only just shuts off.
    I don't believe that the PTO should shut down just by letting off the forward pedal. Essentially putting the trans into neutral. This could be part of your problem. Now if you press the brake or reverse pedals while the PTO is running it should shut down. Maybe the linkage or safety switches are out of adjustment. The brake and reverse pedals should both have one.
    SkiToLive likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

SkiToLive (06-13-2017)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

All good now!

Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    I don't believe that the PTO should shut down just by letting off the forward pedal. Essentially putting the trans into neutral. This could be part of your problem. Now if you press the brake or reverse pedals while the PTO is running it should shut down. Maybe the linkage or safety switches are out of adjustment. The brake and reverse pedals should both have one.
    Thanks, H-D dealer dude. I found the safety switch assembly that's mounted to the chassis on the pedal side of the tractor. Moved the switch back about 3/16" and retightened. Ran the tiller in the garden with no "shut off" problems at all. Much appreciated.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, H-D dealer dude. I found the safety switch assembly that's mounted to the chassis on the pedal side of the tractor. Moved the switch back about 3/16" and retightened. Ran the tiller in the garden with no "shut off" problems at all. Much appreciated.

Glad you got it working. Always nice when you don't have to buy parts.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements