Green Tractor Talk banner

Best way to remove gas from tank ??

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  99srxman 
#1 ·
My new x730 has some old gas in the tank iam trying to syphon out tried using one of those little pumps but hoses wont lay right to work would I be better off removing the fuel line at the carb ??? would be nice if they had a drain plug on the bottom of the tank...:munch:

#3 ·
How old are you talking about? Like was stated if it's really bad that tank will have to come out.

You can try attaching a weight to the end of the hose. This will help it fall to the bottom of the tank. Just be sure it doesn't fall off or get jammed against something.

What I usually use is a Mighty Vac. This one will remove or dispense depending on the position of the valve. The black handle works like a bicycle pump so you don't need compressed air to power it. Also makes some oil changes a snap. Like the average walk behind mower.

They also make a cheeper model that will only extract but it requires compressed air to operate.

Attachments

#4 ·
For more than 60 years I've always had some sort of siphon/sucker/turkey baster, etc., device in my tool kit. One thing I found for tight little spaces around sumps in tanks is a very small copper tubing extension stuck on the end of a flex hose attached to the suction device. Best one for getting the last drop was 1/8 flex copper in a battery water fill/tester. These will stand up to fuel far better than Wifey's turkey baster and she won't keep bugging me about where it went. I can get a tank down to about a thimble full with one of these. A rag on a stick will finish the last of it. Dirty tank? Flush, flush, flush!

Reactions: Tomfive
#5 · (Edited)
Now that you mention it. I had 2 other styles over the years.
One was a Blue Point but I have seen cheeper models. It looked like a manual grease gun. Only with a plastic tube on one end. You pulled on the handle end to draw the liquid in. Push it to unload it. Unfortunately it trurned up missing from my old job.

The other was a plastic jug that held about 1&1/2 quarts. The opening was about 2" in diameter. A rubber stopper with 2 holes fit into it. A plastic tube went into one and a vacuum pump into the other. It looked like a basketball/football pump but worked backwards. It worked really well until years later the neck on the plastic jug split. Think I bought it from Sears.

Reactions: HydroHarold
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.