Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Dealer Winter Storage

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-08-2019 @ 01:54 PM
    Thanks

Question Dealer Winter Storage

I have heard of some people that have winter storage at their dealership. Is this a normal thing for all dealers or just some that have enough room? I don't have a shed yet for my newly purchased D130 and trying to figure out what I'm going to do with it if I don't have a shed by the time winter hits.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-21-2019 @ 03:27 PM
    Thanks
    Dealers around here do not offer it. The old Menards is no indoor storage and is being run by Menards. The rates aren't bad and its a good way to use their old stores.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krusej23 View Post
    I have heard of some people that have winter storage at their dealership. Is this a normal thing for all dealers or just some that have enough room? I don't have a shed yet for my newly purchased D130 and trying to figure out what I'm going to do with it if I don't have a shed by the time winter hits.
    Winter storage is fairly common with motorcycle dealerships. Especially within the last few years. Haven't heard about any tractor dealers doing this in my area. However I haven't been shopping around trying to find some. I'm sure it would depend on how much extra inside storage room they have available. Best thing I can recommend is calling around to different stores and ask. If you don't have any luck with the JD dealers you might want to try other brands. If all else fails try the motorcycle dealers. I would hope that they could accommodate you. However they might not be willing to do any extra service work.

The last dealer I worked for had a menu of prices depending on how much you want to spend or have done.
    Here are some examples.
    $100- wash machine, add fuel stabilizer and keep battery tendered.
    $150- add safety inspection, oil and filter change to the above.
    $350- add full service and complete detailing to the above.
    10% discount on any parts installed by the service department.

Also some adjust the price depending on the size of the machine. Like a trike would cost more than a 2 wheel bike.

Back when I lived in the trailer hood I had a 8'X12' shed. The tractor barely fit through the door with it's 42" deck. After putting the 46" snow plow on it no longer fit. Luckily I got a free JD cover along with some other items as a promotion for buying it. Ended up having to use it for a few years during plow season. Might be something to think about for a backup plan. It worked okay for the most part. However the cover blew off more than once. The finish on my tractor got a little beat up from the cover flapping. Also from having to remove it after being covered with snow and ice. Then putting it back on afterwards. If you can just leave it set all winter it shouldn't be as bad. Getting inside storage is a way better option.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 06-12-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    DRobinson and OxPath like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Thanks
    My local does store machines that need work on during the winter months (starts after November 15, but must be picked up by April 1)

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-08-2019 @ 01:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodrunsgreen View Post
    My local does store machines that need work on during the winter months (starts after November 15, but must be picked up by April 1)
    So they would store the mower if I had them do the winterizing service?

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krusej23 View Post
    So they would store the mower if I had them do the winterizing service?
    That's usually how it works. However they usually have a minimum that you have to spend.

This reminds me. Some of the shops would give you free storage if you spent over a certain amount in the service department. The lowest I've ever seen was $500.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,025 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Isn't this one of the reasons people use those public storage places?
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Isn't this one of the reasons people use those public storage places?
    Have you ever seen the price of them? Years ago I looked at one next door to the trailer hood. Just looking at a 5'X5' to put some extra stuff in. It would hold my walk behind snow blower (MTD8-26) and maybe enough room around it to stand up some shovels and rakes etc. Forgot the exact price per month. What I do remember is after adding it up. It would literally be cheeper throwing away my snow blower every year. Then just buying another one next season. And I'm not talking about a cheep single stage. I laughed too myself. Well at least I'd never have to worry about changing oil in one ever again.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,025 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Have you ever seen the price of them? Years ago I looked at one next door to the trailer hood. Just looking at a 5'X5' to put some extra stuff in. It would hold my walk behind snow blower (MTD8-26) and maybe enough room around it to stand up some shovels and rakes etc. Forgot the exact price per month. What I do remember is after adding it up. It would literally be cheeper throwing away my snow blower every year. Then just buying another one next season. And I'm not talking about a cheep single stage. I laughed too myself. Well at least I'd never have to worry about changing oil in one ever again.
    I had no idea. I see them all over the place even here in the boonies. I figured they must be popular.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I had no idea. I see them all over the place even here in the boonies. I figured they must be popular.
    We used a storage unit for a few months while moving. It ran about $70/ month for a small unit I think, I'd have to check the receipts. In any case, it does seem that people pay way more to store things than it would take to replace them. Public storage certainly doesn't seem like a good long term plan.

As for dealer storage, I've never encountered one that offered it. Our shop has always been stuffed to the gills, the last thing we need is to be responsible for a customer's machine for months at a time. It may be different if other places have space or a dedicated area for customer storage.
    OxPath and coaltrain like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast