Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: John Deere 245 question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-15-2017 @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 245 question

I recently bought a one owner 245. Seller claimed he bought it nos from an Orlando dealer in 2007 for $2800 and used it to mow his own yard until he moved to a house with a small yard and had put it in storage for a few years before selling. No way to verify this and there isn't an hour meter. The mower came with all the paperwork. What I can verify is the serial number states it's a 1994. No rust anywhere, plastic is in perfect shape, deck looks new top side and underside. Seat is in great shape and everything is in working order. Mower didn't want to run unless on choke so I broke the carb down and removed all the jets and cleaned them out it runs perfect at all rpms . I changed the oil, plug and deck belt and adjusted the shifter so it returns to neutral when the brake is pressed. my question is that when I was getting ready to change the hydro oil I noticed a arm on the right side of the trans looking from the back of the tractor. Its not connected to anything and has a bolt with a bearing on the end of the bolt. Right above this arm is a lever shaped like a T that is connected to the shifter. It looks as the shifter lever is to contact the bearing. I spent 20 minutes moving the two arms to see how they would interact and can't come up with a solution. There isn't much online on the 245 and it appears it was made for only two years. I think the arm has something to do with adding tension on the shifter and possibly connects with a spring. There are two springs in the tool box that I don't know where they go. Everything works fine so I'm at a loss. I will post some photos of the leaver as soon as I can take them.

Last edited by Jd245; 06-12-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    Here is the arm. There was a bolt where the hole is on the end that held a bearing. Any help would be appreciated. It's gonna bug me until I figure it out.

etcallhome likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I think I figured it out. Talking to myself always works.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd245 View Post
    I think I figured it out. Talking to myself always works.
    Well? I cannot go to bed without resolution...! Help me out here! You can't leave me like this... If you don't give me the answer, you're walking home!!
    etcallhome, BigJim55 and darkrt like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Lol. I was looking at the photos and in the photo I can see grease transfer marks from the bearing on the outside of the arm shaped like a T( yellow arrow in photo). I could not see these markings when under the mower due to lighting and accessibility. The bolt that holds the bearing extends past the bearing and has one nut for the bearing and a second nylon lock nut. That's where the spring attaches and there must be an attachment point on the frame. The spring is used to keep the bearing contacted to the T shaped arm. That notch in the T arm is probably neutral and each side forward and reverse. This arm is probably there to limit movement of the shifter in bumpy and hilly terrain. Living in flat Florida it's probably not noticeable that it's been disconnected.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ahhhh.... that's better!

Some of those "disconnected parts" games can be perplexing. I had a spring break on my GX335 and it took a virtual trip to John Deere Parts John Deere - Parts Catalog (Plug your model number in the box) (I suggest going to the "Transmission" section") to see the right where the spring came from. It also located the connection points for both ends. Nothing like a 'sploded drawing to add to a photo. Some of the photos in JD's manuals are so poorly printed in grayscale that one needs that drawing to make sense of the pic.
    etcallhome likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

NRA Life Member

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info

The gauge of the spring in the tool
    Box was far too big to be a tension spring. I used a smaller gauge spring from my parts bin and it fit perfect. The arm applies just enough tension to keep the shifter arm from traveling on its own.

I changed the hydro oil and filter today. Owners manual (not shop manual) says 2.5L. I could only get 2L in the case but the double x's on the stick say full. I did run it for 5 min back and forth to move oil to the lines and through the filter and no change. I'll keep an eye on it. It's disappointing the manual wasn't spec.

Used it for the second time today to mow just under 2 acres of 3' tall bahaia in an hour. Nice little machine.
    HydroHarold likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Thanks
    Nice and clean looking machine.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Glad you're sprung again! I just changed the trans oil in my GX335 and it takes way less than the book sez which caused a mini "environmental disaster". Plain ol' cat litter to the rescue. Made a note in the manual to prevent this in future.

Nice lawn!!!!!

NRA Life Member

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks I may put a mulch kit on the deck but it's the older 48" deck and I'm not sure if I can still find one. The other option is finding a 44m deck.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast