L110 Oil Leak

Thread: L110 Oil Leak

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-29-2019 @ 07:10 AM
    Thanks

L110 Oil Leak

I just bought a used L110 that hasn't been working for a few years and was able to get it cleaned up and running. I'm running into an issue where upon start up oil is leaking below the motor and on to the exhaust. The oil level was fine, but I'm wondering if it is the head gasket. I know it was replaced in 2012, but not sure if this is a reoccurring issue on the Kohler engines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rebellax15 View Post
    I just bought a used L110 that hasn't been working for a few years and was able to get it cleaned up and running. I'm running into an issue where upon start up oil is leaking below the motor and on to the exhaust. The oil level was fine, but I'm wondering if it is the head gasket. I know it was replaced in 2012, but not sure if this is a reoccurring issue on the Kohler engines

That's what it sounds like. Shouldn't be a big deal to replace.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    07-29-2019 @ 07:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks HD, you have been a big help. Would you recommend buying just the head gasket or the entire gasket kit

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    I had to do a head gasket on my old L108 because it was pressurizing the crankcase. It was pushing oil out the breather, air cleaner, dipstick and fuel pump. However that had a 17.5 hp B&S engine.

When I did mine. I only bought the gaskets separately. Think I only bought the head, exhaust and valve cover gaskets. I wasn't 100% sure that was my problem. Even went out and bought my X540 because I thought that B&S engine was a goner. Started doing some research on line and everything I read pointed to it. Think I remember reading something that the single cylinder Kohler engines have a similar problem. The piece of gasket between the cylinder and opening for the push rods will fail because of the bolt pattern. (Lack of bolts). Think it only cost me $20 for everything.

Take a straight edge and check out the head & block. Also look for any gouging of the aluminum. Seeing someone already had yours apart. On mine I found absolutely no gasket sticking to either side between the cylinder and push rod opening. Had a heck of a time scraping the gasket off every place else.

Good luck
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements