Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Calibrated Travel Control

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-27-2019 @ 07:07 PM
    Thanks

Calibrated Travel Control

Has anyone come up with a way to set the speed of a lawn tractor? One of the variables in properly applying chemicals to a yard, is speed of travel. Generally, the recommended speed is 3 MPH. To date, here is what I have done. I marked out a course of 200 ft. Knowing that for 3 MPH, it should take 45 sec to cover the course. With my X360 at full throttle, thru trial and error, I cut a block of wood that would limit the forward pedal travel such that it resulted in a travel time of 45 sec to cover the 200 ft. This method works, but I was hoping to find a better method. Now my X360 does have a "cruise control" but there is no way to set a specific speed. Maybe some day John Deere will see a need to provide such a device.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgwel View Post
    Has anyone come up with a way to set the speed of a lawn tractor? One of the variables in properly applying chemicals to a yard, is speed of travel. Generally, the recommended speed is 3 MPH. To date, here is what I have done. I marked out a course of 200 ft. Knowing that for 3 MPH, it should take 45 sec to cover the course. With my X360 at full throttle, thru trial and error, I cut a block of wood that would limit the forward pedal travel such that it resulted in a travel time of 45 sec to cover the 200 ft. This method works, but I was hoping to find a better method. Now my X360 does have a "cruise control" but there is no way to set a specific speed. Maybe some day John Deere will see a need to provide such a device.

Maybe you can use a GPS or smartphone app to clock your speed.
    The factory cruise is really only a throttle lock. I never use mine all that much but if you set it for a certain speed. I'm sure that the tractor would slow down slightly when going up a hill.
    romcjr and PJR832 like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-27-2019 @ 07:07 PM
    Thanks

vo

Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Maybe you can use a GPS or smartphone app to clock your speed.
    The factory cruise is really only a throttle lock. I never use mine all that much but if you set it for a certain speed. I'm sure that the tractor would slow down slightly when going up a hill.
    Those are good thoughts....Thanks for your thoughts. The GPS and smartphone would allow for speed verification but won't be able to control the tractor. I don't know the accuracy of measuring such a slow MPH with those devices. I really need to count tire revolutions to get accuracy for that low of speed. That may be possible, but stopping and starting would still be a challenge to get back to a given speed. I may have hit on the best solution, but I was hoping that, just maybe, someone had already solved this problem.
    PJR832 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgwel View Post
    Those are good thoughts....Thanks for your thoughts. The GPS and smartphone would allow for speed verification but won't be able to control the tractor. I don't know the accuracy of measuring such a slow MPH with those devices. I really need to count tire revolutions to get accuracy for that low of speed. That may be possible, but stopping and starting would still be a challenge to get back to a given speed. I may have hit on the best solution, but I was hoping that, just maybe, someone had already solved this problem.
    I think that you hit the nail on the head with your throttle spacer.

Pretty sure someone makes a dye to put in whatever you are spraying. It should show you how much you have covered. Never used the stuff or a tow behind sprayer for that matter. Maybe someone that has will chime in.

Was looking at the JD 15 gallon unit for my old property management job. Was looking to use the boom for ice melt during winter and the wand for weed killer in the summer. However I never got funding for it.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Thanks
    They do make a dye for spray. I have no idea what yur spaying or what tips you have. It's a science all to its own. If it works for you it works. Dont be waiting for a JD lawn tractor spray unit with gps and speed control. Aint gonna happen.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    pcabe5 and PJR832 like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-16-2019 @ 09:02 AM
    Thanks
    First, the guide that they give you on the rate of spread is a guide, not a exact number that you have to follow - get as close as you can. Wind blowing and direction are probably a bigger factor in even spread than rate of speed.

Second, use the GPS to give yourself the speed calibration you desire. My 1025r in low range at 2000 rpm is 2.8 mph. That was close enough to 3.0 mph to use for my spreader rates. Since my spreader is powered off of the PTO I needed to get the RPMs that the spreader was happy with then went hunting for the mph.

I believe in this regard close enough is good enough - it drives me nuts because I want to hit the exact numbers published or it seems a little too random. The reality is that it isn't as big of a factor for the average lawn chemical.
    pcabe5, Oscar Leroy and PJR832 like this.
    Without data, you are just another man with an opinion.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1025r TLB
    - 54" MMM
    - 49" 120 FEL with Piranha tooth bar
    - 260 Backhoe with 12" and 16" Buckets
    - 5' County Line Box Blade
    - FSP700 Spreader

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Thanks
    Wouldn't it give you more consistency if you did you little 200 ft test by varying the throttle with the hydro pedal all the way down instead of trying to block the hyrdo pedal? Then, when you find the throttle position that gives you the mph you desire you just mark that and return the throttle to that point and mash the pedal all the way down whenever you want to get back to xx mph. Would seem to be much easier to reproduce each time.

Rob
    Last edited by BigBlue; 06-20-2017 at 09:22 AM.
    pcabe5 and BBarn like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    Wouldn't it give you more consistency if you did you little 200 ft test by varying the throttle with the hydro pedal all the way down instead of trying to block the hyrdo pedal? Then, when you find the throttle position that gives you the mph you desire you just mark that and return the throttle to that point and mash the pedal all the way down whenever you want to get back to xx mph. Would seem to be much easier to reproduce each time.

Rob
    That's what I did...
    pcabe5 likes this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1025r TLB
    - 54" MMM
    - FSP700 Spreader

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BBarn View Post
    First, the guide that they give you on the rate of spread is a guide, not a exact number that you have to follow - get as close as you can. Wind blowing and direction are probably a bigger factor in even spread than rate of speed.

Second, use the GPS to give yourself the speed calibration you desire. My 1025r in low range at 2000 rpm is 2.8 mph. That was close enough to 3.0 mph to use for my spreader rates. Since my spreader is powered off of the PTO I needed to get the RPMs that the spreader was happy with then went hunting for the mph.

I believe in this regard close enough is good enough - it drives me nuts because I want to hit the exact numbers published or it seems a little too random. The reality is that it isn't as big of a factor for the average lawn chemical.
    Well that' it, just because I'm going to put my Garmin on my tractor this weekend
    pcabe5 likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by renwickpat View Post
    Well that' it, just because I'm going to put my Garmin on my tractor this weekend

Android phone and an app called GPS Speedometer works pretty well. Not a bunch of bells and whistles, just a speedo and free!
    PJR832 likes this.
    1025r TLB
    - 54" MMM
    - FSP700 Spreader

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast