No power in Reverse

Thread: No power in Reverse

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-25-2017 @ 12:30 PM
    Thanks

No power in Reverse

I purchased an L-120 Riding Lawn Mower and we have used it about 6 times. We purchased it used and completely gone through from a local dealer. We pulled it off our trailer the other day to put it away and it suddenly got really loud and when we put it in reverse it had NO power at all. I went to a JD Dealer this morning for a manual and they said they didn't have one and we need to just bring it in. My husband is not afraid to to the work himself and pretty mechanical inclined so any advice on this!
    Thank you!

** OK he just pulled the spark plugs out and it is only running on one cylinder......**
    Last edited by jhjbsmith; 06-24-2017 at 10:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jhjbsmith View Post
    I purchased an L-120 Riding Lawn Mower and we have used it about 6 times. We purchased it used and completely gone through from a local dealer. We pulled it off our trailer the other day to put it away and it suddenly got really loud and when we put it in reverse it had NO power at all. I went to a JD Dealer this morning for a manual and they said they didn't have one and we need to just bring it in. My husband is not afraid to to the work himself and pretty mechanical inclined so any advice on this!
    Thank you!

** OK he just pulled the spark plugs out and it is only running on one cylinder......**
    How long ago is just purchased it?

I would do what the dealer said. Take it back and let them look at it. Just be sure that they call you before spending any more of your money.
    No reverse, strange noises and the engine only running on one cylinder could be some serious problems.

What have you been doing with it the 6 times that you used it?
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 06-24-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    How long ago is just purchased it?

I would do what the dealer said. Take it back and let them look at it. Just be sure that they call you before spending any more of your money.
    No reverse, strange noises and the engine only running on one cylinder could be some serious problems.

What have you been doing with it the 6 times that you used it?

All we've done is mow our yard, grass only less then an acre. We purchased is about 5-6 weeks ago. The dealer is not who we bought it from and he is not a JD Dealer just a local shop that sells and repairs....so he will charge us from the get go for a service call to even take it in. The dealer we got it from says it was used, but of course said it was completely gone through oil changed and all service done and blade new, 436 hrs.
    Last edited by jhjbsmith; 06-24-2017 at 11:22 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    All we've done is mow our yard, grass only less then an acre. We purchased is about 5-6 weeks ago. The dealer is not who we bought it from and he is not a JD Dealer just a local shop that sells and repairs....so he will charge us from the get go for a service call to even take it in. The dealer we got it from says it was used, but of course said it was completely gone through oil changed and all service done and blade new, 436 hrs.
    Well it doesn't sound like the problem is from abuse or over working it.
    When the problem happened would it move forward okay and just not in reverse?

First thing I would look into is the engine only running on one cylinder. From what you described it could have thrown a push rod. If the shop adjusted the valves as part of his service. One of the rocker arms might have come loose.

You need to figure out how many problems your tractor has. As in engine, transmission or both.
    Start with checking for spark to both cylinders. Then do a compression test on both cylinders. If the engine is not running correctly it won't turn the drive pulley on the transmission fast enough.

That's a lot of hours on the transmission if the fluid is still original. I highly doubt that it was changed because it's supposedly non serviceable. It can be done but the whole transmission needs to come out to do it.

Good luck
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 05:29 PM
    Thanks
    from Texas . Your going to get a lot of feedback from the members here that can help with the problems . I had an L130 and when I gave it to my daughter , it had almost 900 hrs. and started and ran fine . You should be able to find and download a manual for it . Let us know how it's going .
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

8. The Following User Says Thank You to romcjr For This Useful Post:

rebellax15(06-24-2017)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 07:03 AM
    Thanks

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Well it doesn't sound like the problem is from abuse or over working it.
    When the problem happened would it move forward okay and just not in reverse?

First thing I would look into is the engine only running on one cylinder. From what you described it could have thrown a push rod. If the shop adjusted the valves as part of his service. One of the rocker arms might have come loose.

You need to figure out how many problems your tractor has. As in engine, transmission or both.
    Start with checking for spark to both cylinders. Then do a compression test on both cylinders. If the engine is not running correctly it won't turn the drive pulley on the transmission fast enough.

That's a lot of hours on the transmission if the fluid is still original. I highly doubt that it was changed because it's supposedly non serviceable. It can be done but the whole transmission needs to come out to do it.

Good luck

Yes the tractor runs fine going forward besides the horrible noise of course. He did pull of the cover and everything moves fine and the piston do not appear to be bent or anything. It appears to be running on only one cylinder. He is going to download the manual today.
    Thank you for all your help! Where is is mechanically inclined and has all the tools, we hate taking it to the shop if he can fix it.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes the tractor runs fine going forward besides the horrible noise of course. He did pull of the cover and everything moves fine and the piston do not appear to be bent or anything. It appears to be running on only one cylinder. He is going to download the manual today.
    Thank you for all your help! Where is is mechanically inclined and has all the tools, we hate taking it to the shop if he can fix it.
    With the engine running unplug one spark wire at a time. This will tell you what side is dead.
    If the engine dies it was firing. If you don't see any change that's your dead cylinder.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements