• 1 Post By dtimekw
  • 1 Post By dtimekw

Thread: Fuel filter on Kohler 17.5

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-28-2017 @ 03:35 PM
    Thanks

Fuel filter on Kohler 17.5

Just picked up an L110 with the Kohler 17.5. After replacing the fuel filter with a visible one, I noticed it doesn't fill with fuel. In fact, I only see a few drops in there but it saturates the element and runs fine. Is this something I should prime somehow or is this normal ops? Thank you.

Troy

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dtimekw View Post
    Just picked up an L110 with the Kohler 17.5. After replacing the fuel filter with a visible one, I noticed it doesn't fill with fuel. In fact, I only see a few drops in there but it saturates the element and runs fine. Is this something I should prime somehow or is this normal ops? Thank you.

Troy
    Is the filter installed backwards? It could restrict the flow. Giving just enough gas to keep running at the moment but will die on you if running it full speed and power for a few minutes.

If not and everything runs smooth I wouldn't worry about it
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Do you have the bullet type or flat type (both shown below)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet filter.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	396897 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat_filter.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	396905

I have equipment with both. With the bullet type on the left I normally see it about 1/3 full of fuel. With the flat type on the right I can never really see any fuel inside it.

You shouldn't have to do any type of priming action with either.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Its installed correctly, arrow toward the fuel pump and tank full. I cut the grass at WOT for 15-30 mins, ran fine. It's obviously getting enough fuel to run on a flat surface (Florida) but I would think on an incline, the float bowl will run out quickly and if the filter element isn't wicking fuel from the bottom of the filter housing, the motor would stall out. Just curious if someone with a 17.5 Kohler and a visible filter could corroborate what I see or tell me that theirs is full of fuel.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Thanks
    Its installed correctly, arrow toward the fuel pump and tank full. I cut the grass at WOT for 15-30 mins, ran fine. It's obviously getting enough fuel to run on a flat surface (Florida) but I would think on an incline, the float bowl will run out quickly and if the filter element isn't wicking fuel from the bottom of the filter housing, the motor would stall out. Just curious if someone with a 17.5 Kohler and a visible filter could corroborate what I see or tell me that theirs is full of fuel.
    You want the filter arrow installed pointing away from the tank, which means it's pointing in the direction the fuel needs to go.

I have a kohler but it's on a husqavrne zero turn. I changed the filter last week.
    It's now 3/4 full of gas. I just went and looked

Maybe your fuel on/off valve isn't fully opened?
    The fuel pump is going out?
    Last edited by Littlegreenmachine; 06-25-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Thanks
    For whatever reason every one I've seen is different. Some are slam full, some look 1/2 to empty. If its running good then yur getting enough fuel. The engine will take what it takes to run. Only other thing I can think if is the vent in the fuel cap is clogged. These machines are getting some age on em and it wouldnt be a bad idea to change all the fuel lines from the tank to the carb. But as long as it runs ok..keep on going.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    For whatever reason every one I've seen is different. Some are slam full, some look 1/2 to empty. If its running good then yur getting enough fuel. The engine will take what it takes to run. Only other thing I can think if is the vent in the fuel cap is clogged. These machines are getting some age on em and it wouldnt be a bad idea to change all the fuel lines from the tank to the carb. But as long as it runs ok..keep on going.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Try running it with the fuel tank cap loose and see if that helps.
    I'll agree if it runs good don't worry about it.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you for all the quick replies!

I am running the bullet style filter as shown on the left side in the post above. I ran it at WOT with the fuel cap off and it didn't make a difference. I don't think it will be an issue I was just thrown off because I had never seen a fuel filter with low fuel and the engine run fine. I'm sure I don't have to worry about a lean condition as I'm taking the win light

Thank you again!

Troy
    Littlegreenmachine likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you for all the quick replies!

I am running the bullet style filter as shown on the left side in the post above. I ran it at WOT with the fuel cap off and it didn't make a difference. I don't think it will be an issue I was just thrown off because I had never seen a fuel filter with low fuel and the engine run fine. I'm sure I don't have to worry about a lean condition as I'm taking the win light

Thank you again!

Troy
    If it really bothers you. Try taking the hose off of the "out" side of the filter. Then crank the engine over until it gives you a stream of fuel. Then hook it back up. Kind of like bleeding a brake caliper.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, it seems to be full now. I mowed yesterday for over an hour and after I parked it, I looked at the filter and it is jammed full, no air at all. It must have purged the air at a slow rate but its full now. Beats me
    Littlegreenmachine likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements