• 1 Post By H-D dealer dude

Thread: General basic questions about how to use the choke

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-02-2017 @ 05:35 PM
    Thanks

Question General basic questions about how to use the choke

Hi guys,

I've posted here a few times with random questions but I am still quite new to small engine machines. My John Deere LA115 has a choke lever and I wanted to ask if it was normal that, when on warm/hot days, I don't need to push the lever all the way up (which I believe is closed?). I know as the engine warms up, you have to open the choke and I wanted to ask if it was normal that when the weather is warm that the choke doesn't have to be all the way closed to start.

My snowblower seems similar, it has a dial for the choke and I find that lately when I go to test it out (I periodically run it to make sure it works even in the summer), I need the choke mostly open for it to start.
    JD322 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Thanks
    Once it's warm it shouldn't need choke to start,however depending on the fuel system you may need to choke to prime the fuel system to start.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Thanks
    Some engines will require choke and some won't even to start when warm/ hot. Easy test when warm... Try to start.. If it doesn't start right away.. Keep cranking and choke. Should fire up.. Then lever down to take off choke.
    Due to fluctuations in your gas and jetting of carb, just find a way that works for you. There is no steadfast rule. It's whatever she likes to light off and and run. One steadfast rule is though.. Once it starts, get off the choke.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Tomfive and JD322 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Some engines will require choke and some won't even to start when warm/ hot. Easy test when warm... Try to start.. If it doesn't start right away.. Keep cranking and choke. Should fire up.. Then lever down to take off choke.
    Due to fluctuations in your gas and jetting of carb, just find a way that works for you. There is no steadfast rule. It's whatever she likes to light off and and run. One steadfast rule is though.. Once it starts, get off the choke.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    This is sold advice. Also by doing it this way the engine is far less likely to belch smoke out the exhaust when it catches/starts.

If you have a separate choke lever next to the throttle it should be spring loaded. They do this so you don't accidentally leave it on. As soon as the engine fires you need to back off the choke a little. The carb needs a little air gap between the blade and carb Venturi to keep it running. Otherwise the engine will blow black smoke and die. How fast you can leave off the lever depends on how cold it is. When the weather is colder the engine will require more fuel to start. That's why you need to hold it on longer.

Mostly snow blowers don't have any air cleaner. I guess they figure not much dust is blowing around when the ground is covered with snow. Because of this it's a wide open passage into the engine. When I store my blower I always close the choke. This way small critters are less likely to find a home inside.
    Tomfive likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements