Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mower Blades

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-12-2011 @ 12:56 PM
    Thanks

Mower Blades

Howdy all!
    Just heard about these this morning at the coffee shop...anybody have any experience with them? Seems a few of the guys LOVE em, a few think they arent any different?
    http://www.meg-mo.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 671 Posts
    Heard of them, have not used them. Currently I am using Gator Blades. I am not sure I completely understand how they are suppose to work better. I understand they have another set of blades. Just haven't convinced my self to try them.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,979 Times in 2,483 Posts
    Chris (username Esnol) had them for his 2305, they had some major quality issues I think-plus they cost a boatload!
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    01-19-2012 @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks
    I run a dual blade set-up on my x534,i run a high lift deere blade as well as a gator blade. I turned an adapter sleeve to fit one blade to another,then run a longer bolt in the spindle. It chops the grass to nothing,and throws it 3 deck widths away. Works pretty slick,and costs very little. When you spin her up,boy does it sing!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CAT1693TA View Post
    I run a dual blade set-up on my x534,i run a high lift deere blade as well as a gator blade. I turned an adapter sleeve to fit one blade to another,then run a longer bolt in the spindle. It chops the grass to nothing,and throws it 3 deck widths away. Works pretty slick,and costs very little. When you spin her up,boy does it sing!
    Any chance we can get a pic of your setup? Also, what is the advantage to this arrangement? Does it just chop the the clippings finer?
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-31-2011 @ 02:39 PM
    Thanks
    Very interested to see this setup as well...I could probably use 2 Gator blades "as is" as they are about 1/2 as thick as the original JD blades on my deck....
    What do you use to keep the blades positioned correctly to each other?

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Thanks
    I was working on a prototype similar to the Meg-Mo system for my lawn tractor. In my case it's for cutting weeds, and I was in effect going to turn my L-130's 48" deck into a rotary cutter.

But alas, without machine tools I ran into a snag or two and I migrated onto other stuff that needed to be done.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I read some good things about the Meg-Mo blades and was impressed by their videos so I gave them a shot as a desparate attempt to pack more leaves into my 14 bushel bagger and not have to lay out the $1500 for my truly covetted love for leaf collection - the Cyclone Rake. Unfortunately, there was little or no measurable difference from the JD blades (regular or mulching).

I would have kept them to try on my grass in the summer but they didn't fit my 54C deck without my fudging them in place (I've forgotten what the issue was). I also thought the construction and parts could have used a little more thought put into them. On the other hand, I can imagine how difficult it must be for a small company to try and adapt their product to every single piece of equipment out there and could see having to make a few compromises.

I can't help but wonder if these blades are better suited to machines specifically meant for lawn mowing, such as zero turns. I'd swear that the blades spin faster in the Meg-Mo videos than they do on my 54C and I would think that faster spinning would make a major difference with these blades.

I would encourage anyone considering them not to take my experience too much to heart and try them on your own.
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    01-19-2012 @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudland_Dave View Post
    Very interested to see this setup as well...I could probably use 2 Gator blades "as is" as they are about 1/2 as thick as the original JD blades on my deck....
    What do you use to keep the blades positioned correctly to each other?
    the advantages are many in my opinion,first is the exc. vacuum. it will stand the grass up in most any cond,giving you an exc. cut. my grass is very thick,it keeps the deck very clean(no build-up). it chops the grass up to smaller pieces,and scatters it very nicely 10'-12' out. you can mow a little faster if you want. i built the sleeves so they don't quite stick out the end of the bottom blade. with gator on top,high lift on the bottom,i position them in a perfect "X" pattern. put the longer bolt in the arbor,w/the oem thrust washer,and tighten them w/my 3/8 impact. i have never had them move yet,and i have been running this setup for years. i could snap some pics w/my phone i guess,if you really want to see it. it is nothing fancy,it is inexpensive and works real well.
    Last edited by CAT1693TA; 03-22-2011 at 06:12 PM.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    01-19-2012 @ 11:54 AM
    Thanks

mixed

I have run them on a 2320 and 2720 with 62d. The 2320 had to grunt to get them signing were the 2720 doesn't have any trouble. They will blow grass nice and even that i like particularly when damp and they will break a away if you hit something solid. They are pricey and cost the same to replace blades but last longer between sharpening

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast