Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: X738 died while mowing

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 AM
    Thanks

X738 died while mowing

I have a basically new 2016 x738 with 22 hrs. It just died while mowing. Like no battery power or a fuse blew. It does nothing when trying to turn the key. The dash does not light up.
    My first question is it alright to hook up a chain and pull it to the garage so I can work on it? Will it hurt the hydrostat towing it?
    Once I can get it out of the field and into the garage where would the fuses be located?
    The battery looks like it is hard to get to. Would I need to take off the hood to access the battery?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:49 AM
    Thanks
    Before towing the tractor, you need to open the bypass valve. There is a lever on the right side, behind the right rear wheel. Raise the lever up.
    If the tractor is setting on a hill have the tractor hooked to something or have the parking brake set first.
    There is a master fuse on the starter. You will need to remove the hood to get to the battery. The process on how to remove the hood is in the manual.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Once you get it out of the yard. Check the battery voltage with a multi meter. Also check the connections at the battery. You should have 12.6 volts or better. Then turn the key on and check the volts again. If the voltage drops off the battery shorted out inside.

What ever you do don't try to jump start your tractor. The electronics don't deal with voltage spikes well. If the battery is bad replace it. Either way you should still be under warranty. It should cover this problem. Be prepared to take the tractor in for warranty service.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 07-04-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,025 Times in 2,192 Posts
    I'm glad H-D said it - do not try jumping the battery. We've seem a few fried control modules around here lately.

If it only has 22 hours and 1 year old shouldn't it be under warranty? If so let your dealer deal with it.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Got it towed to the garage. Knowing my luck it started a down pour rain while I was trying to tow it.
    Found out it keeps blowing the 20 amp key switch fuse.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I'm glad H-D said it - do not try jumping the battery. We've seem a few fried control modules around here lately.

If it only has 22 hours and 1 year old shouldn't it be under warranty? If so let your dealer deal with it.
    Yep, I'm going to let the dealer deal with it. Just wanted to figure out what it was to see it if was something simple like a blown fuse. Since the fuse keeps blowing I will have them deal with it since it is under warranty.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra7350 View Post
    Yep, I'm going to let the dealer deal with it. Just wanted to figure out what it was to see it if was something simple like a blown fuse. Since the fuse keeps blowing I will have them deal with it since it is under warranty.

Sounds like the best plan. Probably a wire grounding out on the frame or a bad ignition switch.

Did you do any kind of recent work on your tractor like installing an accessory? Did you run the tractor over any heavy brush or sticks? Psychical damage or a problem you caused would not be covered by the warranty. Otherwise you should be covered.
    Jeff B, raco232 and TJR345 like this.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I found the short to ground. The wires going to the seat switch under the seat. They got pitched between the seat spring. I repaired the wires and disconnected from the seat switch since I really don't care for that safety feature. Made a jumper to fit in the harness connector and zipped tied out of the way.
    Since I found the problem and it was an easy fix. I figured it would save me a lot of time for me doing it myself since the dealer is 30 minutes one way.

At least I found out where the fuse box is at. Also learn about the bypass valve if in ever need to tow it again.
    Last edited by ultra7350; 07-05-2017 at 09:36 AM.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,025 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Good deal! Thanks for posting back with your results.
    tj1 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra7350 View Post
    I found the short to ground. The wires going to the seat switch under the seat. They got pitched between the seat spring. I repaired the wires and disconnected from the seat switch since I really don't care for that safety feature. Made a jumper to fit in the harness connector and zipped tied out of the way.
    Since I found the problem and it was an easy fix. I figured it would save me a lot of time for me doing it myself since the dealer is 30 minutes one way.

At least I found out where the fuse box is at. Also learn about the bypass valve if in ever need to tow it again.
    You want to use the bypass lever every time you need to move your tractor. (Without being under it's own power) Even if it is only a couple feet. I even use mine for strapping it down on my trailer. Found it is easier to get all 5 straps tight.

The seat safety switch is something that I can live with. If I end up coming off the tractor for any reason I want it shutting down. Can't think of a single reason why I would want to get off a running tractor without setting the brake.

Now that RIO is a PITA and totally useless. lol I just lift the switch and jam my rubber JD keychain between it and the dash. Works like a charm and nothing is modified.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 07-05-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    keefus, BigJim55 and coaltrain like this.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast