Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: X590 lift link 54" deck

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-30-2019 @ 02:09 AM
    Thanks

X590 lift link 54" deck

Just finished my 50 hour service on my new X590 no problems.Went to level deck problems. What a cheap design the lift link is made to capture the adjustment nut and is made of pot metal or some other type of cheap casting. The link ,for what reason I have no idea, with a slot cut into it that weakens it. Sort of like using the open end wrench when the box end is what should be used because it surrounds the entire nut. So I go to tighten or raise deck , is a pain in a$$,and something didn't feel right I think the nut or bolt rod has stripped but no it's the cheap link. I was able the make adjustments with a Visegrip C clamp holding the link together so the nut would not spin.

Come on John Deere I paid a lot of money for this garden tractor and you cheapen it up with China made parts,like my deck pulleys and spindles that I also noticed,another ticking time bomb.

Hopefully my local dealer will help me out as it is under warranty. I looked up
    part and doesn't cost a lot . I would be happy with free replacement part and I install myself to save the hassle of transporting to dealer.

I posted this so others on this great forum can keep an eye on theirs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3420.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks
    You are correct sir. I've found on mine that if I shoot a little WD-40 on the bolt just above the nut, it goes a lot easer.
    boss30264 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darkrt View Post
    You are correct sir. I've found on mine that if I shoot a little WD-40 on the bolt just above the nut, it goes a lot easer.
    I put lube on the same place you did when I did my first adjustment at 10 hours and it did help some. Just something I'm going to have to deal with every time I adjust the deck. Just a shame we have to deal with this issue. I do like my X590
    don't get me wrong nice power and very comfortable and easy to use . Maybe Deere will look into updating this issue in the near future.

I have great dealer in my area and should have no problem getting link replaced. That is the number one reason I bought my X590, my new 2025r and its replacement a bigger 3720 there.Dealer support goes along way in book.

Thanks for tip and support darkrt.
    darkrt likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:27 PM
    Thanks
    They did change the bolt in mid year to a newer design that is much better. I had my 2016 X590 bolts wear out in about 30 hrs(tops stripped from tool angle). The newer design is much better and turns much much better. They are about $9/each with the little half-moon fastener thingy. Much improved!
    2018 John Deere 2038R
    72D mower
    220R loader
    72" Frontier landscape rake
    CenPeCo synthetic oil

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sbronemann For This Useful Post:

boss30264 (07-10-2017)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sbronemann View Post
    They did change the bolt in mid year to a newer design that is much better. I had my 2016 X590 bolts wear out in about 30 hrs(tops stripped from tool angle). The newer design is much better and turns much much better. They are about $9/each with the little half-moon fastener thingy. Much improved!
    Thanks sbronemann . I'm headed to dealer tonight after work I'll make sure to ask about updated bolt. Deere needs to rethink the angle for ease of adjustment.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:27 PM
    Thanks
    If I think about it tonight-I will take a picture of it. Bought a spare when I bought them last time just to keep around.
    2018 John Deere 2038R
    72D mower
    220R loader
    72" Frontier landscape rake
    CenPeCo synthetic oil

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sbronemann For This Useful Post:

boss30264 (07-11-2017)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks

Fixed. And used my own adjustment tool

Picked up my replacement Lift Link ,Screw and new nut at dealer after work. Replacing parts was straight forward and took about hour including leveling deck and anti scalp wheel readjustment.

I lubed bolt with grease ,put anti seize on threads and greased Lift Link at pivot point.The John Deere Allen wrench stayed in its holder under the seat. I used my 1/4" drive ratchet,long extension,universal,and a 8mm Allen socket. I enlarged the access holes with a step bit (Uni Bit) so the socket and universal could fit from the top. This made repair and adjustment a lot easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3440.JPG   IMG_3441.JPG  
    darkrt likes this.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks
    All good to know

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    I have seen issues with a few new X570 and X580's. When I try to level them, the tool only goes in part way and wants to strip out. The angle is not straight on.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    JD should have made the adjustment hole bigger to start with. Even if they had to use a rubber plug to hide the hole. Don't know if I want to drill out my fender deck.

I plan on making an extended ball Allen socket next time I need to adjust my deck. I had to do the same thing to get an oil pan off of an 98 Wide Glide. Take a regular L shaped ball Allen wrench and cut off the short end. Find the same size allen socket from my set. Remove the short bit and insert the longer home made bit. Afterwards save it for next time. Saves buying an expensive set just for one size socket.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast