X-series Deck Leveling Tool wearing out?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: X-series Deck Leveling Tool wearing out?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 1,172 Posts

X-series Deck Leveling Tool wearing out?

I've had my X500 going on four years and I level my deck every time I service the machine. Today while doing the 200 hour service I was leveling my deck and I noticed that the tool felt a little funny, like there was some play in it.

So I took a closer look and discovered that the end is nearly rounded off. Has anyone else experienced this? I know the tool JD supplies (M162737) isn't exactly tool steel but I sure didn't expect it to wear out this fast. You can't really abuse it. You stick it in the adjusting hole and give it a turn one way or the other. The leveling bolts do seem to turn a bit hard but I believe that it by design so they hold the adjustment.

JD Parts doesn't give any specifications on the tool but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was an 8mm ball hex head. Does anyone know where you can get a long 3/8 drive 8mm ball hex tool? It has to be at least 7" long to get down in there and reach the adjusting bolt through the access hole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M162737.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	407114 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1947.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	305.9 KB 
ID:	407122
    rtgt and tj1 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    04-30-2019 @ 02:09 AM
    Thanks

I feel your pain

I feel your pain. I just posted a thread about the cheap design of Deere's deck leveling system and I noticed that you also posted problems with yours. The tool that is supplied is junk and the angle that you have with it and adjustment bolt head is stupid. Deere could have designed and more robust system and better engineered one. If they are sold on this design at least beef it up. When my dealer was showing me how to adjust deck we both commented on how difficult it was to adjust.
    tj1 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,548 Posts
    Sorry to hear this , I've used a x738 now close to 100 hrs and have never had to adjust the deck. Haven't even had the adjustment tool out of the holder since the delivery person showed me and the owner .
    rtgt and tj1 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Sorry to hear this , I've used a x738 now close to 100 hrs and have never had to adjust the deck. Haven't even had the adjustment tool out of the holder since the delivery person showed me and the owner .
    My deck seems to need adjustment every 25 hrs or so. It's never off by much, at times it's only 1/8" and the most it's been off is 1/4". At least the tool only costs $8.08.
    rtgt and tj1 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (07-09-2017)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    You should be able to buy a T handle tool or extended socket that would work. Just has to be ball allen on the end.
    etcallhome, jgayman, rtgt and 1 others like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

jgayman (07-11-2017)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    You should be able to buy a T handle tool or extended socket that would work. Just has to be ball allen on the end.
    Thanks for the tip. I didn't think of that, duh! I'm going to look for one of those first.

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post

I'm with you on this one. Did mine after hitting a cast iron curb valve with the front U shaped support bar. Was totally covered by debris and I didn't even see it. After replacing the bar I leveled the deck on a nice flat concrete shop floor. That was 2 years ago and it has been good ever since. I bang my deck off of a lot of stuff on a regular basis. I got 3 bad spots just to cut the place I'm living at now. Plus I trailer the tractor all the time. Usually set the hight to cut knob at 1.5" and drop the deck onto the anti scalp wheels. Doesn't bounce around as much.
    etcallhome, rtgt, tj1 and 1 others like this.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:14 AM
    Thanks
    If your lawn is rough or you step on the deck to get on the tractor that would cause adjustment problems.My neighbor had a rough lawn and had to keep adjusting his Cub Cadet.I rolled his lawn the last few years and he hasn't touched his deck since.
    etcallhome and rtgt like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    If your lawn is rough or you step on the deck to get on the tractor that would cause adjustment problems.My neighbor had a rough lawn and had to keep adjusting his Cub Cadet.I rolled his lawn the last few years and he hasn't touched his deck since.
    Every place I cut is not exactly golf course smooth. My deck does take quite a beating. I'm pretty sure my daughter, FSIL and kids were using my 54" deck as a step and not just getting on or off the tractor. Just trying to walk by it in a cluttered garage. It's another reason I'm glad it's being stored in my girlfriend's garage. Plus they just had a small garage fire at my daughter's place. Luckily she got it put out with the garden hose before the fire department needed to show up. She said they had 2 extinguishers but neither worked. This guy was fixing the carb on the FSIL's Sportster. The bike backfired out the intake and the show was on.
    rtgt, tj1, johnH123 and 1 others like this.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

jgayman (07-11-2017)

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    My lawn is very rough and has a lot of dips and valleys. It's one reason why I opted for the 48" deck over the 54" because I knew the 54" would scalp all over the place. I roll it several times in the spring and while it reduces those lunar surface-like freeze/thaw craters it would take an earth mover to smooth out the dips and valleys.

I never step on the deck.
    etcallhome, rtgt, tj1 and 1 others like this.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast