Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By H-D dealer dude

Thread: Help with LT155 38" mower deck

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-11-2017 @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks

Help with LT155 38" mower deck

Hello all! First timer here and I'm hoping someone can help me out with my JD LT155 mower deck. I have a lot of roots in my yard, some are hard to see while mowing and over time my mower deck has bent in from the front (running into roots I could not see while cutting), thus causing the blade(s) to clip the deck in the inside, causing a loud and obnoxious sound and I can't mow because it's doing some serious damage to them and just isn't safe...after I turn it off, it's very difficult to bend the mower deck back where it was. I can only assume while the blades are running for a while the steel becomes extremely hot and easy(ier) to bend. I can't find a new mower deck to replace it or a used one that's local so I am thinking if I get a blow torch, I can heat the areas of the deck hot enough to hammer them back out so the blades do not hit the deck anymore...has anyone experienced this or can offer any advice on how I should go about fixing this? I hope that all makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hart1860 View Post
    Hello all! First timer here and I'm hoping someone can help me out with my JD LT155 mower deck. I have a lot of roots in my yard, some are hard to see while mowing and over time my mower deck has bent in from the front (running into roots I could not see while cutting), thus causing the blade(s) to clip the deck in the inside, causing a loud and obnoxious sound and I can't mow because it's doing some serious damage to them and just isn't safe...after I turn it off, it's very difficult to bend the mower deck back where it was. I can only assume while the blades are running for a while the steel becomes extremely hot and easy(ier) to bend. I can't find a new mower deck to replace it or a used one that's local so I am thinking if I get a blow torch, I can heat the areas of the deck hot enough to hammer them back out so the blades do not hit the deck anymore...has anyone experienced this or can offer any advice on how I should go about fixing this? I hope that all makes sense.

Thanks in advance!
    Remove the deck from the tractor. Get a brand new set of blades. Take it all to a local welding or fabrication shop. They will have the tools to deal with fixing it correctly and usually quicker. You don't just want to go throwing a lot of heat at the steel unless you are comfortable with this kind of work. Believe it or not an improper repair can make it worse. Plenty of tractor peeps were in the same boat as the you with this kind of problem. Sometimes the shop can reinforce your deck better than new.

Check all the spindles, pulleys and linkage while the deck is off. Replace anything that looks shaky.

After the repair give everything a coat of paint.
    johnH123 and TNTorpedo like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements