**looking for my first john deere riding lawn mower**
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: **looking for my first john deere riding lawn mower**

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Online
    04-30-2018 @ 10:48 AM
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    **looking for my first john deere riding lawn mower**

    Hi Everyone,
    I am new to the forum here and seeking all wisdom and advice. I am in the market (live in Minn) for a used John Deere riding lawn mower. My price point is max $1,000, I have mostly flat terrain (lots of leaves in the fall) and .50 acre or so. I really only need a mower and perhaps a bagger system eventually (no need for a snow blower, blade, etc..). I am keeping an eye on Craigslist. My own research (avoiding the “big box store” models like the L, LA and D series and putting emphasis on the Kawasaki engine) has narrowed my focus to the LX (178, 188, 277 (non AWS)) and LT (180 and 190). Agree? Disagree? Other models/series I should consider?

    Also, I seem to come across LT 155's AND LX 255's out there on CL....which have the Kohler 15hp engine. What are people's opinions of those two machines or more specifically, thoughts on the 15hp Kohler engine in them? I guess I was more inclined to get a mower with a Kawasaki engine. Appreciate all the help and opinions on the above. Thanks in advance.

    -Alan

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Drifterbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:27 PM
    Location
    Hampton Ill
    Posts
    2,697
    Thanks
    1,070
    Thanked 316 Times in 277 Posts
    Welcome from Illinois. I have never dealt with those models but I am sure someone will be along with answers for you. Good Luck on your search.
    Robnik likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Location
    ON
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts

    JD 185 are good

    I used to have a JD 185 that I bought used, and then sold to an acquaintence. He is still using it.

    Good hydrostatic, parts are still available. Baggers were available but may be hard to find one with a bagger now.

    Info at TractorData.com John Deere 185 tractor information
    Robnik likes this.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,548
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 851 Times in 648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aflies View Post
    My own research (avoiding the “big box store” models like the L, LA and D series and putting emphasis on the Kawasaki engine) has narrowed my focus to the LX (178, 188, 277 (non AWS)) and LT (180 and 190). Agree? Disagree? Other models/series I should consider?
    You could expand that to the GT and GX series machines too. Both lines were available with Kawasaki engines.
    Robnik likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  7. Top | #5
    sennister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,960
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 215 Times in 177 Posts
    Another place you can look is Smith's Sales Auction Site.

    'deere' - Current Lots - Smith Auctions LLC

    The nice thing is when you get down to the Garden Tractors (you have to scroll down quite a bit), they seem to normally list if it is a Kawasaki or some other engine if that is what you are looking for. They even have a Z757 with a 60" deck on there right now for just under $1K but it will probably go above your budget.

    I am not sure where you are in MN but if you are in the Twin Cities area it isn't a very far trip over to Baldwin WI. I am over in the Stillwater area myself.

    As far as good and bad. I don't know how much of a difference there is with the smaller ones. As far as I know all the bigger X series machines are all Kawasaki. If you could find a X300 series in budget that would be a great score. I don't know what they go for though. Probably more than $1000 on the used market with a good deck but they have been around for a while. My X585 is a 2002 model. I buy my machines from Frontier Ag and Turff. They don't have anything really in the under $1000 range but they do have some really nice looking X304 machines but they are double your budget at just under $2K. They also have a couple 318 tractors which while not Kawasaki powered and quite a bit older (mid-late 80s) they are a beast of a tractor. Some of them have fewer hours than I have on my X585. They will run circles around anything built in recent years. I would imagine going a dealer route would be more expensive than Craigs List. The thing about a 318 is if you maintain it, you won't loose your money on it. They have been at the $1500-2000 range for years. Heck there is one on there with under 1000 hrs, a snow blower, cab and mower deck. It is hard to tell the condition for sure in photos but that is a pretty darn good price. I should tell my dad about that one but he already has a 322 and a 318.

    Another guy you could check with is Jim at Jim's Tractors in Hastings if you are in the Twin Cities area. He is a great resource but he strongly favors those older 318 style machines. He goes through and fixes them up so his machines might be more. The website isn't always up to date but he is a real knowledgeable guy. Used Lawn - Garden Tractors - Mowers - Small Engines - Jim's Repair/Jim's Tractors
    Robnik likes this.


    JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

    JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Online
    04-30-2018 @ 10:48 AM
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    You could expand that to the GT and GX series machines too. Both lines were available with Kawasaki engines.
    Right...kinda just thought most of those would be going for a bit over my budget is all. But yes, I do keep an eye out for those series too. Thanks
    Robnik likes this.

  9. Top | #7

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Location
    ON
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aflies View Post
    Right...kinda just thought most of those would be going for a bit over my budget is all. But yes, I do keep an eye out for those series too. Thanks
    Not in your immediate area, but (other than the grafitti imo) here is a JD 185 with bagger for $1000. The prices are in your budget range.

    http://www.marketbook.ca/listingsdet...19146419&LP=TH
    Robnik likes this.
    2018 Kubota RTVX 1100c
    2014 JD3046R CAB, H165 FEL, 72 HD" Bucket, 72D Auto MMM, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Frontier 1172 SB
    2002 JD4310 OS, 430 FEL, 60" HD Bucket, 60" MMM, Quick Hitch
    2001 Kubota TG1860G
    Wallenstein BX42R Chipper, JD MX5 Mower, HORST Pallet Forks
    Berkelmans Welding 2 Ton Farm Dump Trailer (JD Green)

  10. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Online
    04-30-2018 @ 10:48 AM
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Another place you can look is Smith's Sales Auction Site.

    'deere' - Current Lots - Smith Auctions LLC

    The nice thing is when you get down to the Garden Tractors (you have to scroll down quite a bit), they seem to normally list if it is a Kawasaki or some other engine if that is what you are looking for. They even have a Z757 with a 60" deck on there right now for just under $1K but it will probably go above your budget.

    I am not sure where you are in MN but if you are in the Twin Cities area it isn't a very far trip over to Baldwin WI. I am over in the Stillwater area myself.

    As far as good and bad. I don't know how much of a difference there is with the smaller ones. As far as I know all the bigger X series machines are all Kawasaki. If you could find a X300 series in budget that would be a great score. I don't know what they go for though. Probably more than $1000 on the used market with a good deck but they have been around for a while. My X585 is a 2002 model. I buy my machines from Frontier Ag and Turff. They don't have anything really in the under $1000 range but they do have some really nice looking X304 machines but they are double your budget at just under $2K. They also have a couple 318 tractors which while not Kawasaki powered and quite a bit older (mid-late 80s) they are a beast of a tractor. Some of them have fewer hours than I have on my X585. They will run circles around anything built in recent years. I would imagine going a dealer route would be more expensive than Craigs List. The thing about a 318 is if you maintain it, you won't loose your money on it. They have been at the $1500-2000 range for years. Heck there is one on there with under 1000 hrs, a snow blower, cab and mower deck. It is hard to tell the condition for sure in photos but that is a pretty darn good price. I should tell my dad about that one but he already has a 322 and a 318.

    Another guy you could check with is Jim at Jim's Tractors in Hastings if you are in the Twin Cities area. He is a great resource but he strongly favors those older 318 style machines. He goes through and fixes them up so his machines might be more. The website isn't always up to date but he is a real knowledgeable guy. Used Lawn - Garden Tractors - Mowers - Small Engines - Jim's Repair/Jim's Tractors
    Yes, I am the Twin Cities (west side). Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!
    Robnik likes this.

  11. Top | #9
    sennister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,960
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 215 Times in 177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aflies View Post
    Yes, I am the Twin Cities (west side). Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!
    If you do look into that Smiths Sales, you really should come up with a hard limit on a tractor. I don't know that they have anything that fits exactly what you are looking for today but every couple weeks they have a new auction up and running so they go through a lot of inventory. Most things are on soft close so if there is a bid in the last 10 min or so the auction gets extended another hour or something like that. I haven't bought a lot of stuff there but a few things that I have gotten a great deal on. I have bid on other stuff where people bid it up way too high so don't get carried away and it can be a good resource. I want to say there is another auction place along the lines of Smith Sales over more of the west side. K Bid maybe? https://www.k-bid.com/auction/list/minnesota

    A Kohler engine but this might be an option. https://www.k-bid.com/auction/20776/item/9

    You could do the entire yard in 10 min with one of these. https://www.k-bid.com/auction/20701/item/4

    I have never bought anything from K Bid but I know people who have.
    Robnik likes this.


    JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

    JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

  12. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Online
    04-30-2018 @ 10:48 AM
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    If you do look into that Smiths Sales, you really should come up with a hard limit on a tractor. I don't know that they have anything that fits exactly what you are looking for today but every couple weeks they have a new auction up and running so they go through a lot of inventory. Most things are on soft close so if there is a bid in the last 10 min or so the auction gets extended another hour or something like that. I haven't bought a lot of stuff there but a few things that I have gotten a great deal on. I have bid on other stuff where people bid it up way too high so don't get carried away and it can be a good resource. I want to say there is another auction place along the lines of Smith Sales over more of the west side. K Bid maybe? https://www.k-bid.com/auction/list/minnesota

    A Kohler engine but this might be an option. https://www.k-bid.com/auction/20776/item/9

    You could do the entire yard in 10 min with one of these. https://www.k-bid.com/auction/20701/item/4

    I have never bought anything from K Bid but I know people who have.

    Good to know about K Bids....i'll be sure to check them out occasionally. thanks

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •